The intial meeeting....
I wasn't sure what tonight was going to be like. I've never been involved in the political party aspect of politics with the exception of helping my uncle run for City Council quite a few years ago. I've supported candidates but as individuals. Given that one of the main requirements for the Lucas County Party Young Democrats is to not only be a democrat but be 35 or younger of which I am neither I wasn't sure what type of a reception this middle aged blogger was going to receive. I apologize in advance if any names are misspelled....
Having had the opportunity earlier in the day to meet with Ben Konop to discuss local blogging and the internet thanks to JR, the owner of Toledo Talk, I had a slight idea of some of what Ben is going to focus on in running for Lucas County Commissioner. This meeting tonight was not focused on Ben though, we plan to do a more indepth interview of just him alone in the very near future.
I first met Kevin Cooper and Jason Hill who were just elected into office of the Lucas County Party Young Democrat organization the night before. We briefly discussed their goal to have a website for their organization and the possibility of a blog. As soon as either is up and running I will let you know as well as add the site to the side bar for your future reference. It's clear they want this organization to not just appear around election time, they have some clear goals as far as building a core of those who want to be involved as well as foster more of a mentoring attitude towards high school students and college students. Ben Krompack of the UT Democrats was the moderator of the Town Hall Meeting. David Mann, representing Pete Gerkin and Frank Szollosi were among those present. Also in attendence were several members of the Sherrod Brown campaign; Tara Brown, who is Sherrod's niece; Rev. Chris Jackson Director of Faith and Community Outreach; Chris Stelmarski (a fellow blogger) and one other member of Sherrod's staff who's name I didn't get. Steve Chaffin Ohio Democratic Party Field Coordinator for Northwestern Ohio was there as well as several UT students and other members of Lucas County Young Democrats. There were about 30 people in total, including a reporter from the Toledo Blade and a brief appearance by Fox News.
Ben Krompack described what he felt were the two ideals all Democrats share, making tomorrow better than today and everyone has a personal responsibility to help make that happen.
Ben Konop then spoke, talking about a book written about Jane Adams that he felt was memorable, describing how she had developed a friendship with the University of Chicago Professor John Dewey, A few of the statements Ben made:
"Conflict was a fact of social life, even a sign of progress and it's not some deviation from an idealistic journey towards harmony. The fact is as we gather here today I think it's important to remember that men are free to choose their own way of thinking and to create whatever reality they wish to embrace, but it's also important to remember that a man's mind is conditioned by the thinking of other people as well."
"As a group we have to find what works for us and we have to be truthful with each other and just because we disagree on things should not hold us back. That's natural and that is actually a part of social progress."
General introductions happened next, with giving your name and if you were President of the United States what would your theme song be. The 80's ruled with this group, Jason Hill started with suggesting "The Stand", if there would have been a vote on that it appears that would have been the winner. I'm not going to list all of the names and songs chosen but will share with you some of the answers; I'm not a fan of these types of icebreaker introduction however, this one did seem to be enjoyed by all present. Frank Szollosi gave a brief description of his political background and family history, he then joined in the "corniness" of the song question and if he were President? Bruce Springsteen, Land of Hope and Dreams, he stated this song spoke to him because of his family's immigrant background; "I see my family's experience alot like other folks from different parts of the world that come here and try to build a better life for themselves.... We just have to fix our ideals and hold ourselves to them which is why I picked Land of Hopes and Dreams." David Mann was the first to avoid the song selection, "I'm not running for President, I'm running for Governor and that means I just dodged the question". (Yes he got alot of laughter and some points for being creative from me.) Miguel who went with me, (in his status of HOTB...yes that would be husband of the blogger...thank you :-) admitted he was a Conservative and was not tossed out, injured or even booed, yet he did dodge the song selection. Tara Brown said her song would be "Shake Rattle and Roll" by Elvis Presley, because "I think there is no song that inspires energy and enthusiasm as that one and in a time when we are all frustrated with politicians and corrupt government and greedy corporations and feel like there is nothing left that we can do it's good to have a song that makes us happy and gives us hope and inspires energy." No official confirmation on what Sherrod's theme song would be, I'll keep you posted on that one. Ben Konop is considering something from White Stripes, a future update will follow on that one.
The whole point to sharing that was to demonstrate the main purpose behind this first meeting was to connect, which they did. Sharing personal information as well as humor is a good way to create a basis of a foundation for trust and sharing. Some serious discussion followed as to their goal of not only developing both the UT democrats but the Lucas County Young Democrats and encouraging involvement such as Letters to the Editor and other ways to keep information out there. I'd have to say the impression I got from this gathering is that there is hope for the future. It will be interesting to follow their progress. I'd recommend that anyone who is interested in either organization attend the next meeting. They do share the belief that I do that one person can make a difference. I will provide information as to the next meeting times/contact information as it becomes available.
Tara Brown discussed her uncle's Senate run, stressing that his campaign had the grassroots motivation of not only for his campaign but to help other Democrats to succeed. His key issues of importance are Social and Economic Justice, Healthcare and Trade. Something I was not aware of, but Sherrod has refused to accept the healthcare insurance from the House until every American has health care insurance available to him or her.
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
1 comment:
Interesting report Lisa, thanks for posting it.
I could be more enthusiastic, but it was a partisan event... ;-)
The rest, I assume is understood and need not be repeated.
I too, do not favor the light-hearted (headed) questions.
Post a Comment