Wednesday, January 25, 2006

On a more positive note....

I'd recommend another article in this week's edition of the Toledo Free Press, an interview with Mark Sobczak. This point especially I think is important:

"We've made progress already," he said. "We have to take small steps to take bigger steps."

Sobczak called the process of becoming a more coherent group "Playing Well With Others 101."

"When you disagree, you disagree privately," Sobczak said. "And people can read between the lines, but hopefully the 12 of us can learn to work as a group to work those issues out."


While it would give some of us alot less to write about if this did come about and no one should just go along if they really have serious concerns, I found this was a positive statement. While free speech is important as well as individual opinions, unity is also important. There's a fine line to balance between expressing your own ideas and being part of a team. If they can continue to focus on common goals? The benefits will be felt by all of us.

1 comment:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Lisa,

I would argue that cohesion should be more important than unity.

Council should air their dissent and vote against things that they disagree with.

Council should never give the appearance of being an automatic Mayoral rubber stamp, however.

Playing well with others in public, is about keeps things civil...