Last week's edition of the Toledo Free Press had an article written by Toledo Mayor Carty Finkbeiner. He has agreed to be a regular contributer, and I admit I liked alot of what he stated in this first article. Especially this:
Furthermore, we must provide for the businesses in Toledo, and those looking to move to the City, a community that is safe, clean and green. Getting citizens involved in their respective neighborhoods, making City Hall more "user-friendly" and increasing the number of police we have on the streets will help meet this goal.
Toledo must also work to become a more business-friendly city. More specifically, we must focus on one of our greatest assets, small businesses. It is important for us to let small business owners and entrepreneurs know they are one of this city's most important resources. As far as the City is concerned, we will lend them a hand when we can, one that will help owners navigate through government bureaucracy, and we will be their advocate with the area banks. I met this day on the subject of ease of obtaining plans and permits from City Hall.
However, when I read Toledo Blade article that states tenants of a portion of the Erie Street Market were given two weeks notice to vacate, I started to wonder how this helps small businesses.
I realize this is for a renovation project, yet you would think there could be some manner of doing the renovation that allowed those who were there to remain. It's realistically no different than what is happening at Westgate.
All the vendors that were given notices will have to submit business plans that will be reviewed by the CitiFest committee, and all rent structures will have to be renegotiated, said Mr. Boyer. He added that the city's economic development team and the mayor have all been intensely involved in the process, especially since the city will also be providing some funds.
Thanks for your support in having a store here but we think we can do better now so...shooo...and if we decide you can stay? You'll pay more...
If this is how things are made easier for small businesses in Toledo? Someone might need to rethink what the word "easier" means.
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
3 comments:
Lisa,
Does the "passionate" Carty remind you of anybody yet?
Yup! The "old" heavy handed Carty that we had come to know and despise.
He's Baaaaaacccckkkk!
Ready........, FireAim.
Ya gottta LOVE it!
And, oh yes, I TOLD Y'all, I warned Ya.
;-)
Sorry, I just HAD to gloat.
:-)
lmao, that's okay you did earn the right to say I told you so.
:-)
Post a Comment