I openly admit being married to a Puerto Rican, I am biased. In reading today's La Prensa, I came across the above linked article that is about HR 4437. Cleveland City Council stepped forward to create a resolution against this bill:
The Cleveland City Council action was co-introduced by Councilman Joe Santiago of Ward 14. The resolution was introduced as an emergency measure. Here’s what Santiago told La Prensa about his motivation for stepping up to the plate and taking action.
Santiago, along with his assistant Sr. Alicia Alvarado, OP, said the bill is unconstitutional and is a huge blow to the freedom of all U.S.-Americans. “All of us come from immigrant families and we cannot forget the hardships that our families encountered in the past. This House Bill would make criminals of many of us living in the United States today.”
“I am of Puerto Rican descent and do not have to be concerned about immigration problems, but I support my Latino brothers and sisters,” added Santiago.
Then Santiago drew a frightening parallel between HR 4437 and Nazi Germany when he said, “This can be compared to what Hitler did to the Jewish population sixty years ago and cannot be tolerated in Ohio and any other state in this great nation. We must work together to find solutions to making immigrants legal citizens so that they can continue to work and provide for their families.”
Santiago’s words and those of the Cleveland Council Resolution can be expected to carry weight with Sen. Voinovich, a former mayor of multicultural Cleveland, and who, historically, has been sensitive to the needs of immigrants.
Supposedly Ted Strickland is now stating he regrets voting for this bill...I'm not sure I totally agree with the Hitler comparison and I do agree that something needs to be done about illegal immigration. There are too many problems with HR 4437 though, and it doesn't deal directly with the real problems which are why people hire illegal immigrants in the first place and how that can be addressed not just for the sake of those who want to come here? But for everyone.
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
6 comments:
I think this is important to note as well:
But Republican Council president Rob Ludeman didn’t think so when La Prensa spoke to him on Sunday.
Ludeman said he had been approached by appointed council member Taylor Balderas (District 3) about a resolution and told her he would not allow one to be introduced if it wasn’t about a matter concerning Toledo’s business.
“I remember when council wasted a lot of time debating a resolution about the Patriot Act,” said Ludeman. He politely told Balderas she could solicit letters of support from individual council members on their official letterhead.
The news about Ludeman’s remarks rankled (Baldemar) Velásquez, who quickly swung into action. Within hours, he had changed Ludeman’s mind and promised to hand-deliver a resolution for consideration by council this Tuesday, March 14th. At press time, it was believed that Velásquez had lined up the necessary commitments, from at least six council members, and the matter was being submitted for Council Agenda considerations this past Tuesday, March 7th.
HR4437 although well intentioned, misses the target and is bad legislation.
Attacking humane support efforts are not the problem, our open borders are.
That said, we should start by referring to the undocumented immigrants by what they really are, illegal aliens.
There are legal ways to partake in the American dream without breaking our laws (even though our open borders are a very tempting lure to others).
I see your point HT, and that's why I prefer to use the term "illegal immigrant" rather than "undocumented" or one of the other choices. Because no matter the reason, to me they are here illegally in the first place. At this point we have two issues as far as I'm concerned, what do do with the ones that are here, and how to prevent more from coming in illegally in the future. Even if some sort of amnesty program is created for those here, there still has to be something done else it's an endless cycle.
WOW once again I am mentioned well not by name but by nationality woohoo. For those who don't know me my name is Miguel Roman - Lisa's own Puerto Rican, well to my knowledge I am :) After reading the post I completely agree with my wife. I am a conservative first then a republican. Born in Boston then raised in Connecticut life for me was not easy - my entire family leans left when it comes to politics "I'm talking one handed pushups using only the left hand". I tried for some time to convert some of my younger cousins but I am only one voice against a huge hispanic family. Meeting Lisa was not a challenge because our concerns and love for each other weren't political in nature. I am truely proud of my wife for both blogs that are currently doing great and continue to climb the charts. I am also proud of her piece in city paper Toledo FreePress. Okay I think I'll stop braging and get back to work.
lmao - cute one Miguel, it's about time you decided to start jumping in.
:-)
You also are the one who got me reading La Prensa in the first place, which I wish more people would do. All of our alternative media sources in this area provide information that at times isn't covered by the MSM.
"You also are the one who got me reading La Prensa in the first place, which I wish more people would do."
We must, it is where our future lies. Anyone who doesn't see this is a fool.
Miguel,
Man you need to get more active here, sort of like a reverse Matlin - Carvill thing.
I hope Lisa can smile, unlike Mary Matlin with that pathetic (I don't know what you would call it) painful expression.
Ahhh, Lisa's smiling now, I can see her (in my mind's eye) from here.
:-)
Post a Comment