Sunday, March 12, 2006

Questions Concerning Phil Copeland

After reading the above linked Toledo Blade article I started to wonder, especially about this portion of the article:

Local 500 paid Mr. Thomas and Mr. Copeland higher salaries than any other union officers in Toledo in 2004, according federal filings.

Mr. Thomas' salary, set by a membership vote, was $130,638 in 2004. Mr. Copeland's was $113,675, a 69 percent increase from 2000.

(Copeland) He said he did not take member-approved raises when "work was down" from November, 2002, to July, 2004, and instead took the money as a lump sum at the end of 2005 - a move Mr. Allotta said he explained to federal investigators when they questioned the payment to Mr. Copeland.

Then I remembered reading in the Blade information on Phil Copeland's tax return's being released to the Blade. So using the wonderful services available thru the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library's news archive database:

On October 27, 2005 Author: TOM TROY BLADE STAFF WRITER

City Council candidates also were asked for their tax returns for the years 2002, 2003, and 2004. Mr. Copeland provided all three years, and Mr. McCloskey provided his returns for 2002 and 2004. Mr. Copeland's return for 2004 shows adjusted gross income of $113,823, primarily his salary as secretary-treasurer of Laborers Local 500. He had an Internal Revenue Service tax bill of $19,919. His returns showed adjusted gross income of $92,156 in 2003 and $90,754 in 2002.

Given that, I don't see how Phil Copeland's statement that he took a reduction in salary until July of 2004 can be true. It's possible it was done in 2002 and 2003, but questions really come to mind for 2004. Not having seen the detailed information, all I can do is speculate. Since the Blade has it, it would have been nice if they would have answered that, perhaps they will. It would also be nice of one of our local media sources would make the same demand of this information from all of the Lucas County Commissioner Candidates. It would easily answer this question, since if there was a lump sum salary payment made in 2005 it would be reflected as to the amount on his 2005 Income Tax Return.

Then the credit card questions with the union, according to todays article:

Mr. Copeland, (has) a union-provided Cadillac DeVille. Both of their expense accounts, which include gasoline purchases, exceeded $30,000 in 2004.

Does Phil Copeland have and use one of these Union Credit cards? The article today implies it but that would be contradictory to what Phil Copeland said in the October 14, 2005 Author: VANESSA WINANS BLADE STAFF WRITER that was about candidates credit scores when it was discovered Phil didn't have enough of a credit history to have a rating:

"I haven't tried getting anything since I got the liens," said Mr. Copeland, who explained that he maintains a checking account and pays for everything with cash.

Hopefully if these questions aren't answered I'll get the opportunity to ask them before the primary.

UPDDATE 3/13/06: Toledo Blade confirms there was a lump sum payment made of the deferred salary. So the only question that remains is the credit card use statement.

9 comments:

KraZyKaT said...

Lisa, I also posted an article about this investigation on Toledo Speaks Out.
Interesting enough I was inquiring about some his tax returns for 2002-2004. Thanks for taking the time to do the research and providing that information.

So it show's that his income rose by approx. $2000 in each of the preceeding years of 2002 and 2003 and by $21,000 in 2004.

Unless this was as a result of filing an amended return for the Lump Sum distribution of deferred salaries, his statement that he did not take member-approved raises is contradictory at the least or an out right lie.

I guess we will have to put him in the same basket as Tom Noe, Bill McCloskey. I wonder how many other eggs will fit in the basket before all is said and done.

Unknown said...

Thanks for doing the math and you raised some additional questions as well concerning his IRS settlement.

:-)

I think it's a bit early to put him in the Noe/McCloskey basket, he hasn't been indicted as of yet but I do agree it is something that should be followed and discussed.

KraZyKaT said...

I think it's a bit early to put him in the Noe/McCloskey basket, he hasn't been indicted as of yet but I do agree it is something that should be followed and discussed.

Agreed. But I am defidently giving him a resevation. I hope he can cancel it. Toledo has sufffered to much of late to see yet another scandle tarnish our reputation.

Political infighting is tolerable and may even be beneficial as a Check/Balance to our system. But corruption and scandles do nothing but create doubt and un-truthworthiness of our civic leaders.

Note: Wasn't Phil's Uncle Bill also an officer of this union? I think I remember something along those line and an investigation into his action also. I can't remeber the results. I will research this.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Looks to me like Phil has a lot more splainin to do before this will go away.

And then, maybe it won't go away (which probably means that he will)...

KraZyKaT said...

Wasn't Phil's Uncle Bill also an officer of this union? I think I remember something along those line and an investigation into his action also

Oh yeah... I read it in the Blade today. DUH!

Mr. Copeland's late uncle, Bill Copeland, was Local 500's business manager from 1971 to 1982, a Toledo city councilman, and eventually a Lucas County commissioner. The FBI investigated alleged payoffs during Bill Copeland's union tenure, but dropped the inquiry a year later without indictment

I still will try to investigate this further.

Unknown said...

Former Lucas County Commissioner William "Bill" Copeland died on May 5 after a long illness related to kidney failure. Bill served as Lucas County Commissioner from 1990 until his retirement in 2002. His public service career of county commissioner, county recorder, Toledo city council member and vice mayor spanned nearly 30 years. In addition to his public service, Bill was active in the Toledo branch of the NAACP and helped open the door for African-Americans in many other fields. For almost 40 years he rose through the ranks of Laborers Union Local 500 from an intern to the ranks of executive committee and on to the highest office of business manager.

From his obit listed thru County Commissioners Association of Ohio

http://www.ccao.org/CIDS/news20040507.htm

Unknown said...

I don't know anymore HT, I would have never thought Bob and Betty would be re-elected or elected on how you want to look at it. I never thought given some of the financial issues that Phil would have been the top vote getter. It seems the only one who wasn't voted in that had any ethics issues was Karyn. Which considering compared to some of this wasn't probably equal treatment. Never thought I'd write this but her items of concern were alot smaller than what most of these people are suspected or indicted for being involved with.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Indeed.

Toledo seems to be wallowing these days in what used to be called Chicago style politics. . .

And, it's beginning to smell.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site...
» » »