Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Debating Costco

This week's edition of The Toledo Free Press has an interesting feature...first an article written by Mayor Carty Finkbeiner, then an article written by Lucas County Commissioner Maggie Thurber.

No matter which side of the Westgate/Costco issue you are on, both articles are well worth reading.

One part of Carty's article I felt was important:

As far as Westgate goes, the owners have received a very generous $2.5 million package of public money that will help them with this project. This is the first time the City of Toledo has ever given tax abatement to a retail operation, and I believe that, in and of itself, requires the Mayor to very carefully move forward with this project. As an investor in this project, the citizens of Toledo expect its Mayor and Council to get the best possible return on the $2.5 million investment. I believe the City's investments during my first term in DaimlerChrysler's new plant, Owens Corning World Headquarters and The Docks has paid dividends back to the City. I want the same return from this investment!

Then, a noteworthy part of Maggie's article:

Had I been consulted on this issue, I would have objected strenuously to any public announcement with first having met with Ms. Holland to understand her position on the design of Westgate. I would have said to Ms. Holland, "We have some Westgate neighbors who are concerned about the walkability of the site. How do we help you address these concerns?" I would have worked with her to understand the depth of planning and market research and then would have worked with the neighbors to help them understand why the plan is as it is and why any modifications could or could not be made.

Features such as this is one of the reasons I enjoy having the Toledo Free Press in our area, and am looking forward to working with them on the upcoming best moments in Toledo blogging web series.

I also highly recommend both of the articles in the Opinion section, the one by Bob Frantz and the one by Michael Miller, though if you are like me? Make sure you have some tissues ready when you read Bob's column.

4 comments:

KraZyKaT said...

As I wrote in my blog:

If the mayor is really concerned about "Big Box Flight", maybe he should negotiate some type of penalty in the tune of $2.5 million assessed against Costco and the owners of Westgate ( equal to the amount of tax abatement) in the event that they pull out early in violation of any lease agreement. If that were to occur, the city could then use the settlement for luring other retailers into the city to fill the void left behind.

If it is determine that the current plan (as it stands) is in violation of the 20/20 plan by rule of law, then it is the Strong Mayors responsibility and obligation granted to him when he took the oath of office, to see that the plan is amended to resolve any conflicts. It is not the mayors responsibility or even in his forte to design a new architectural schema to fit his own personal taste. Leave that up to the professionals.

If the mayor [by his actions] feels slighted and is projecting a personal vendetta against the Ford administration and in the end wishes to receive full credit for a revitalized Westgate, SHAME ON HIM! He was elected to serve in the interest of his constituents, not his own personal ego trip

Unknown said...

I also agree some sort of "guarantee" could be a part of the solution. I think the "alternative" design aspect could have been handled better. I also agree ego should not be a part of this from either side.

I also need to add your new blog to my list of blogs...

:-)

KraZyKaT said...

Thank You for adding my blog to your list. It is less than a week old and i am trying to network it as much as possible to increase vistor count. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Unknown said...

KK, You joined Toledo Bloggers.com which is a good way to get your blog out there locally. If you want to build your local base I'd suggest contributing at Toledo Talk and when a topic comes up that you've written about or researched link to your blog so that those there can read it. If you want to build a national base joining one of the many blogrolls out there will help to increase your readership. Visit other blogs and see what blogrolls they belong to, when you find one you like, ask to join.

It seems like it takes a while to grow a readership, most of mine came from commenting at other blogs and having them visit mine. It will seem to start out slow but then? Before you know it you will have reached several thousand visitors.