Friday, February 03, 2006

Planing Commission delays on Westgate

Besides the concern of too many parking spaces, the ability for Starbucks to have a drive-thru caused a one week delay as reported in the above linked Toledo Blade article. WNWO had the breaking news of a possible compromise last night, and it appears the Mayor as well as others would agree to one drive thru just not two.

I realize that Starbucks and Costco seem to go hand in hand, I guess enough to break this whole deal:

"Starbucks needs a drive-through to be competitive. It's a deal breaker," stated Liz Holland.

Yet, I wonder, the Beaners that they are going to pull out so that Starbucks can be in there and the Beaners across the street in Crickett West are not drive thrus and they seem to be doing a pretty darn good job as far as raking in the customers. The Beaner's location in Maumee isn't a drive thru either, and there have been times people have been lined up outside the door waiting for their favorite java brew. Several of the other local coffee places do not have drive thru's. I'd also note the Barry Bagles isn't a drive thru either and they do a nice lunch business from what I've seen on the days I experience a craving for their potato salad....

The irony that a deveopment plan that was taken issue with because it wasn't pedistrian friendly is now being delayed over parking and a drive thru was what I first noticed. Secondly, I wondered how many more times Liz Holland can declare something is a "deal breaker" for Costco that really has nothing to do with Costo's operation or profit.

No comments: