Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Phil Copeland throws his hat into the ring...

What do some of the candidates for Lucas County Commissioner have in common? They ran and were elected to serve other positions. Phil Copeland who was the top vote getter in the last election for Toledo City Council, was sworn into office this January. Maumee Mayor Tim Wagener was re-elected in November 2003 for a second full four year term and was sworn in on January 5, 2004.

On the Republican side if George Sarantou enters the race, he also was just re-elected to a City Council term and sworn in this January.

While I like all three of these men as candidates, I also remember the flack directed at Toledo Councilman Frank Szollosi when it was thought that he would not finish his term as a City Council person but try to run for a higher office in Ohio. I'm wondering where are those same comments regarding at least two of these men since they were just re-elected. Tim Wagener has served two years of his four year term as Mayor. It's understandable after a year or two that a politician might aspire to a higher office. It is also completely understandable that there will be times when one position starts before the full term of the one currently held ends. Where do we draw the line though, and does this matter or should this matter is the issue I'm wrestling with.

I really have mixed emotions on this one. Especially when it comes to George Sarantou, should he decide to go against the wishes of the Republican party and run. Yet then I think about the election process and those who campaigned and would have completed their terms. If either one of these current Toledo City Council persons win the voters don't have a choice as to their replacement, it will be another appointment. Then the never ending issue of should the Lucas County Commissioners come from Toledo government positions. That tends to create too much of a focus on Toledo and not the rest of the County. One of the reasons I supported Harry Barlos was that factor. He had established political roots outside of Toledo as well as in Toledo. Tim Wagener is not involved in Toledo politics, while he would have to leave his term early, at least he was not just re-elected, that demonstrates to me more of a commitment to his voters than I could give to either Phil Copeland or George Sarantou.

As far as Ben Konop? It will be up to the voters in the primary to decide which one of the three they want to run against either Maggie Thurber or George Sarantou. At least no one can say there was a lack of good candidates.

:-)

No comments: