Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Bowling with Ben...

A week ago, Mayor Carty Finkbeiner said he'd like to see Toledo shed its image as a "shot-and-a-beer, factory bowling alley town. While of course I understand he was trying to imply he wants our area to have a larger economic base, Bowling is a favorite past time here in Toledo.

Ben Konop, who would like to be your next Lucas County Commissioner, has come forward with evidence that he is a bowler. Well, he's kind of a bowler, I could tease him that even my youngest daughter has a higher average than 130 but then I come from a family of Bowlers.

Ben has announced his Bowling Tour along with asking for pledges:

I'll be bowling twelve games this week, one at every alley in the county. So if you want to give me an added incentive to knock some pins down, consider pledging to donate 1, 5, 10 or 20 cents per pin to the campaign (giving guideline: my average is about 130). Email me with your pledge here: ben@benkonop.com

The schedule of which lanes he will be at is on the link. Then we can discover some of the real truths like...does he own his own bowling shoes does he rent them? What pound bowling ball does he use? Does he have a hook? How many gutterballs will be thrown? This sounds like a back alley job for this blogger to see if she can get some evidence on these details....

:-)

The Toledo Blade's Joshua Boak updates us with what we wondered...

14-pound ball, we knew the rented shoes and Ben was strike free yesterday...I'm assuming no gutterballs or Joshua would have probably mentioned that.

While I know Ben has a very good sense of humor with my above comments, I also know that this was more than just about gutterballs. He is out there talking to people in Lucas County, Ben knows people are concerned about jobs. Which is going to make more of an impact? Real one to one conversation or reading quotes from a newspaper? (Or even a blog for that matter). That to me counts as the right direction for a perfect 300.

2 comments:

liberal_dem said...

I've lived on the west side of Toledo all of my 60+ years and find East Toledo to be another city unto itself.

Why does it get such a bad rap among the west-siders?

Unknown said...

I don't know, maybe because most people don't cross the river to see what the East Side is really like.

It sounds like from the article that there are alot of really good things being done along with some people that really care about their community.