Friday, February 17, 2006

Opening Doors....

As I read the Toledo Free Press, this struck a chord with me:

Next Wednesday, Feb. 22, Toledo Free Press will host its sixth Community Voices Forum. Co-sponsored by ToledoTalk.com, the forum will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. at Cold Fusion in Cricket West. Cold Fusion owner Jamie Young is offering free coffee to participants.

The purpose of the forum is to allow members of the community to talk, on the record, about any issue they wish to address. The first five forums have collected the thoughts of Toledoans on topics as disparate as the war in Iraq and the need for more Downtown nightlife.

We encourage our readers to support this experiment of accessibility. There are not many opportunities for directly impacting the content and direction of the local media. We've opened the door; it's up to you to walk in and tell us what's on your mind.

Especially that last line....We've opened the door; it's up to you to walk in and tell us what's on your mind.

I think that is one opportunity that blogging has given me as well, it's opened doors. Things I never would have thought possible almost a year ago when I started Liberal Common Sense. It's not just my blogging that did this though, it was part luck of being in the right place at the right time and because I made the decision that I wanted to do more than just sit behind my keyboard and tell people what I thought. I wanted to be involved, not necessarily as part of just one political group but part of a community. There is a growing number of local bloggers that share my feeling so? We are taking the next step.

Creating our own local group where bloggers meet and have a chance to talk not only with each other or local candidates, or various City/County officials but others, the possibilities are endless for us as far as what the scope of these types of meetings can be about. If you are interested in being involved in the initial planning, please email me at glasscityjungle@gmail.com and tell me what day/time is best for you so we can try to create a time that will work for as many who are interested as possible, or make a second meeting time.

We've already shown we care because we write about this area, we debate things with knowledge, passion and concern; if we can find a common ground here? Imagine what we could accomplish in the real world.....

:-)

2 comments:

Lloyd said...

I missed you at the meeting last week. I was hoping we would have the opportunity to meet in person.

I was really impressed with Michael Miller. He seems like such a genuine guy! I'm glad to see his paper is doing so well.

Unknown said...

See...you should have come to the Lucas County Young Dems meeting, I wanted to go to the Community Forum but my youngest has strep. Hoping to make the next one, as it sounds like you guys had a nice discussion.

I'm impressed with Michael too, even before he offered me the chance to do the weekly column on blogging. He really cares about this area and trying to make a difference.