Monday, April 10, 2006

The Debate part one

We are 15 seconds to the Debate, having complimented Fred on his new suit...we are about to begin. The crowd is very quiet, once the candidates took their seats at the podium, you could have heard the proverbial pin drop.

Wow I've just been announced, talk about putting pressure on someone to perform...

The ground rules of the debate are being announced.

They will have a beginning statement and a closing statement. Request for their to be no applause.

Phil Copeland is up first.

He started with the traditional thank you and a brief resume as to his accomplishments, including growing up in the Toledo inner city. "Where else but American can someone get an opportunity like this" was one of his opening statements. Phil states he is pro-union and pro-jobs.

Pam Haynam is next, she started with "Jobs, jobs, jobs", that her family raised her to realize that education is an important part of gaining a good job. She as the mother of three children ran for the Sylvania School Board because she realized how important education is. She supports limiting government and reducing taxes as a platform.

Ben Konop starts with his family bio starting with his grandfather coming to this area in addition to saying that it is "time for a change". He stated he is the only candidate who has created a plan on several key issues including the economy. We are at a critical time.

George Sarantou believes he can make a difference in Lucas County. He points to his experience on City Council. He has 24 years of experience that he will use to build cooperation with all parts of Lucas County, "to make Lucas County a showcase for growth". He stated he has a proven track record of working with everyone of both parties.

Tim Wagener was the final candidate, he outlined his accomplishments in the City of Maumee, as proof of his experience. The Dana Tech Center is a blueprint of what he feels can be done by working together. " If there is ever a better plan for regional cooperation that is it".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if there will be any since they asked for no applause, but if there is any crowd reaction over the course of the debate can you note it?

KraZyKaT said...

round 1 - opening statemet... I give to Tim Wagoner for his Regional Accomplishments

Anonymous said...

Krazykat - I agree. But I just can't take him seriously as a candidate. I don't know what it is.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I thought that I could the sounds of horns blowing ;-)

Lloyd said...

Did Konof say "I am a lawyer"

Perhaps we can do a Saturday Night Live sketch with him like the one done about Star Jones of the View