Sunday, April 16, 2006

Some Political Funding Trivia...

Ever wonder how many of our local residents donate to other campaigns and if so how much? There are several places on the net where one can do this. One I use fairly often is called "Open Secrets" Linked above is a different listing thanks to City Data Toledo

There is alot of information on the page from Toledo including some of the well known Noe related donations but I went looking for local politicans and who they donated to (there is no special reason for the difference in caps v no caps, it's just the way the site did it for some reason):

Sobczak, Mark (IBT/Business Agent), (Zip code: 43606) $500 to GEPHARDT FOR PRESIDENT INC. on 09/08/03
Sobczak, Mark (IBT/Business Agent), (Zip code: 43606) $1000 to GEPHARDT FOR PRESIDENT INC. on 09/30/03
Silverman, Marcia (none/homemaker), (Zip code: 43606) $500 to JOE LIEBERMAN FOR PRESIDENT INC on 10/14/03
Silverman, Peter (Shumaker Loop/Lawyer), (Zip code: 43606) $500 to JOE LIEBERMAN FOR PRESIDENT INC on 10/14/03
KACZALA, GINA-MARIE MRS. (LUCAS COUNTY/INTERNAL AUDITOR), (Zip code: 43606) $2000 to BUSH-CHENEY '04 (PRIMARY) INC. on 11/05/03
KACZALA, LARRY A. MR. (LUCAS COUNTY/AUDITOR), (Zip code: 43606) $2000 to BUSH-CHENEY '04 (PRIMARY) INC. on 11/05/03
KACZALA, LARRY A (LUCAS COUNTY AUDITOR), (Zip code: 43606) $18 to KACZALA FOR CONGRESS on 10/07/03
Szollosi, Francis J (City of Toledo/Councilman), (Zip code: 43605) $250 to OHIO DEMOCRATIC PARTY on 09/20/04
Ford, Jack (City Of Toledo/Mayor), (Zip code: 43607) $250 to JOHN KERRY FOR PRESIDENT INC on 06/10/04

The page for Maumee had the majority of the donations we've heard about made by Tom and Bernadette Noe, but it had a few that I wasn't aware of:

Noe, Thomas W. (Vintage Coins/Rare Coin Dealer), (Zip code: 43537) $1000 to HOBSON FOR CONGRESS on 04/14/04
Noe, Thomas W. (Vintage Coin/Executive), (Zip code: 43537) $1000 to PRYCE FOR CONGRESS on 10/08/04
Noe, Thomas W. Mr. (Vintage Coins/Coin dealer), (Zip code: 43537) $1000 to PEOPLE FOR DIGITAL COMPETITION on 07/23/03
Noe, Thomas (Self/Attorney), (Zip code: 43537) $5000 to OHIO'S 17 STAR PAC on 09/15/04
Noe, Thomas W. (Vintage Coins and Cards/President/C), (Zip code: 43537) $2000 to DIEDRICH FOR CONGRESS on 05/14/04
Noe, Bernadette (Self/Attorney), (Zip code: 43537) $5000 to CARE POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEE on 12/31/03
Noe, Thomas W. (Vintage Coins & Cards/President), (Zip code: 43537) $5000 to CARE POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEE on 12/31/03

The last one to CARE political Action Committee is an interesting one. I can't find any further information on that particular PAC or why the Noe's were the only two who donated, to the tune of $10,000 in this area. At first I thought it might be a typo but I did find donations from others to this PAC in other parts of Ohio. Yet the one I can't help wondering about is why Larry donated $18.00 to himself. See the interesting tidbits you can discover thanks to the internet?

:-)

6 comments:

Maggie said...

Lisa - candidates often purchase an item(s) for the campaign and then decide to just claim it as an in-kind donation, which can account for candidates listed as donors for unusual amounts...don't know if that's the case for Larry, but it's rather common.

Anonymous said...

While others are conduits.

Unknown said...

He was the only one listed with that small of a dollar amount but that would make sense, thanks Maggie. I don't think I saw any other candidates listed as donating anything directly to their campaigns.

ToledoNative said...

Interesting...

Look at what I found.
http://www.capitaleye.org/abramoff_recips_detail.asp?type=R&Name=Ralph+Regula+(R-Ohio)

Care PAC is the leadership PAC of Rep. Ralph Regula (R-OH 16th District)

What I find curious is he is tied to everyone's favorite lobbyist (sarcasm intended) Jack Abramoff. So the Noe's are 2 degrees of separation from Abramoff.

The other thing I find curious is Google has him listed as a Democrat.

I don't believe in coincidences.

So I find this...facinating!

ToledoNative said...

Crap!

My link got cut off.
http://www.capitaleye.org/abramoff_recips_detail.asp
?type=R&Name=Ralph+Regula+(R-Ohio)

That should fix it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for finding out what CARE was Toledonative. I don't know why it didn't come up thru Open Secrets. The long link thing is a pain with blogger - only way I've found around it is to use the a href= tag.

like this

As soon as you gave me Regula? Then Open Secrets had it listed under him

Open Secrets

Awesome find, thank you again!