Yes, the Toledo Free Press, Toledo Blade and La Prensa thus far have all made their endorsements public.
But, I had not yet made my endorsement. Yes, I realize the importance behind this endorsement. I'm sure it will have a huge impact on this race, well, okay maybe not but some of you probably at least laughed over that last statement.
Some brief history, I started Glass City Jungle in January. I was inspired to try to become more involved in politics locally for several reasons, while I had mainly focused on national politics on my other blog, I realized there was a lot going on locally that wasn't being talked about. A few weeks after the creation of this blog I was invited to meet with Ben Konop to talk about local blogging and internet related topics.
I was interested in what Ben had to say but I was skeptical at first, the more I learn about politics the less quickly I decide who I will or will not support. I've also tried to create this blog with the idea in mind that it wasn't just about me, it's about all of this area. Which is why I have written about and promoted Democratic events and Republican events, basically if you are doing something political and you invite me? I'll not only try to attend but write about it as factually as possible without interjecting too much of "me".
Back to Ben, I liked his ideas, I liked his energy, yes, I liked Ben, however that didn't mean I was necessarily going to vote for him. As this campaign has progressed, I've also come to respect him. He handled himself well at both debates, has taken some heat that the majority of the time wasn't deserved and yet kept focusing on the issues, kept coming up with ideas. I had some concern regarding there being three Democrats as Lucas County Commissioner, that to me is important because we do need a balance of power. If a Democrat is selected it has to be one that will not be afraid to "rock the boat" if necessary and be able to do it in a way that still can foster future cooperation. I believe Ben can do that. Ben has proven to me that he not only listens to other people's ideas but will embrace them and do his best to actually move forward. That's what Lucas County needs. We have spent decades talking...So on May 2nd, I'm voting for Ben Konop for Lucas County Commissioner.
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
10 comments:
Lisa,
Please know that I harbor sincere respect for your views and stances. I also find you to be one of the very few that research and question each issue presented onto you. Great and admirable qualities from someone of your caliber. I am also with the group that finds you to be an exemplary example of quality journalism.
I also respect your endorsements, even when I don't agree.
With that being said, even tho I am not known for gentle and soft approaches, I just want to give you a big Thank You for being civil.
I appreciate your presence.
I also respect your endorsements, even when I don't agree.
Gosh, Brian, you 'don't agree' with Lisa's endorsement of a DEMOCRAT? How unusual of you not to like a DEMOCRAT.
Nope.
I'm not a Republican nor a Democrat, but I do appreciate your twisted attempt to label me.
(cough cough ahem cough)
Brian,
I respect you too, you and I have disagreed on topics before and agreed on topics before. I know there are certain things we will never agree on and that's fine.
Thanks though for the compliment but it's the both of us that have kept our "relationship" this way and I thank you for that too.
Lib_dem,
I appreciate your point of view and you have added a lot to the discussions here and on LCS. However, please don't try to bait Brian here. What the two of you do elsewhere I have very little input into and have tried my best to stay out of. I don't expect you to like Brian and I don't expect Brian to like you. Nor does that affect how I relate to either one of you.
Good pick Lisa!
Lisa,
I’m sorry to disagree with you but, on the Democratic side of this primary, I think that Tim Wagener would make a better choice.
That said, I understand why you chose Ben. He LOOKS GOOD!
However, when I look at Ben, I see and hear a carefully crafted politician making all of the right noises, in all of the right places, at all of the right times.
That, albeit his relative youth and inexperience, his earlier attempt to “hop and shop" (some might be tempted to say that he has acted a little “Skippy”) for a job somewhere/anywhere, and his "family ties" all make me a little cautious of Ben.
I suspect that, if he is a gem, he should be a little less highly polished than it appears that he is. Methinks that too much of his “doting Aunt” is showing through, way too early to be believed.
If anything is Ben’s undoing, that would be it for me.
To me, he is too polished, too slick, and too early, to be believable.
However, there are two sides to this primary and I will probably declare for the Republican side this time. I have a “history” of changing party preferences, depending on whether I am voting for or against a given candidate, so this will be nothing new for me. I suspect that even the poll workers say “There he goes again,” but, what the hey ;-)
If I did vote Democratic though, Tim would get my vote. In Tim, I see sincerity and an unpolished honesty in what he says and believes.
Tim is a less polished, more believable candidate. He does NOT appear all primped, polished and prepared.
That’s how I see the Democratic side of this primary.
Well, Hooda we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I put a lot of thought into my decision to vote for Ben. Just liking Ben alone isn't enough reason to vote for him. That's something I've always been upfront and honest about. If I really didn't believe he was not only the better candidate but the one who could win the General, I would just not vote for that office, which I'm doing as far as Governor since I can't support either Strickland or Flannery in the primary.
Or I'd consider doing what you are doing but there are other races on the Democratic ticket that I want to vote for.
:-)
Hooda,
Doesn't the fact that Wagener has engaged in wild personal attacks against Ben bother you? Doesn't really demonstrate the maturity of a sincere and honest politician.
Just because Tim looks dumpy, doesn't mean he is down to earth. His actions make him seem like more of stab-you-in-the-back politician than anyone else in the race.
Lisa
I'll be the first to stand up and say that I was wrong and that you were right, if I am proven wrong, and I'll say it often too, until told to shut up, by you ;-)
anon,
I did have my doubts about Tim..., when he was the only one making such accusations, however last time I checked, it was 2-1 with Ben in the minority...
All in all, this has been a very "interesting" campaign.
I can't wait for everyone to bury the hatchets and get behind their party's choice, even though they were trying to KILL each other just moments ago.
I can already FEEL THE LOVE :-)
Remember, I didn't hesitate to tell y'all "I TOLD YOU SO," when Carty the Passionate reverted to his good old self; I can and will gladly admit to y’all that I was wrong about Ben…, if it turns out that I am.
Hooda I would never ever tell you to shut up and you were right about Carty so if I'm right about Ben? We're even.
:-)
Post a Comment