After my earlier post on the State Central District Committee Seat elections, I received an email that included this image that I've uploaded to my photobucket account.
Jon Stainbrook card
What immediatly caught my attention was "Endorsed Republican Candidate". That surprise me as it gives the impression that Jon Stainbrook was endorsed by the Republican Party. So I called to verify this information, I thought perhaps I missed the local Lucas County Republican Party making an endorsement and I wondered why they would endorse Jon Stainbrook over David Schulz.
I have verified that there was no endorsement for the District 11 State Central Committee Chair candidates from the Lucas County Republican Party. It's possible Jon is using the lower listed "Grass Roots Republican Party Coalition" Endorsement as his claim but the card is very misleading.
It also states which campaigns he has worked on. According to this Toledo Blade article:
Mr. Stainbrook, who has written free-lance entertainment stories for The Blade, worked on campaigns for Bob Dole, Bob Taft, Mike DeWine, George Voinovich, and Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry. He ran three times for Toledo City Council, all unsuccessfully. In 1998, while working as a deputy auditor, he challenged Mr. Kaczala in a Republican primary and lost.
The Kerry campaign statement was later retracted but neither Bush campaign was mentioned in the article, they are however listed on the postcard Jon is sending out to potential voters.
I was unable to find any contact information or a website on the Grass Roots Republican Party Coalition, to be able to verify who they were and if they did endorse Jon Stainbrook. So I can not confirm if that is true or not true or even how that selection process was done.
As disclaimer, if I were voting as a Republican in the primary I would vote for David Shulz. Yet the way this information is being presented is misleading and given the lack of information out there on the State Central Committee Candidates felt it important to express my concern over the way the information on this card is being presented.
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
10 comments:
Jon Stainbrook is exactly what his former band name is, he is a STAIN on the City of Toledo. I am tired of the blade giving this guy any credibility, he is a joke. The Lucas County Republican Party would never elect him as the party chairman.There is a process to becoming party chairman, one which he will never pass. He has implied that he is "wanted back" by the party, nothing could be further from the truth. That he was sworn in by "Denny Parrish fromthe 6th disrtict Court of Appeals", as if this is a big deal, we are all sworn in by a sitting judge, Judge Parrish is the person who happened to be at this particular meeting. THe reason he is even on the central committee right now is the current chairman thought he could not turn away someone who wanted to serve on the committee. This is not true according to the LCRP by-laws, the Ward Chairman has to appoint these people, this procedure was not followed, therefore the seat that mr. stainbrook holds is questionable at best. This is the blade trying to take control of the party by controlling their boy (stainbrook). He has a sordid past with JRB and thankfully soon he will crawl back under the rock from which he very recently re-appeared.
I have heard some of the rumor type things about his past, but I've never gotten confirmation so I've focused on what I can confirm.
If he is who the republicans who vote in the primary want that is of course going to be up to them. I just want to make sure that if he is not being accurate as far as promoting himself that is known.
It's pretty obvious he doesn't have the support of quite a few local republicans as far as his wanting to be chair of the Lucas County Republicans. That alone without any of the rest of it is a problem because to be a successful chair of any party you need to be able to foster as much unity and cooperation as possible. In addition to being able to raise funds, which is why I questioned a few days ago that if he truly did have the ability to be a better fundraiser for the party why wasn't he doing that. Especially given the current financial climate. You'd think that would be the way to demonstrate that he was serious about wanting to make a difference.
Thanks for commenting, I think this is something that should be discussed.
Lisa - thanks for your research on this. I've never heard of this "grass roots" group and I consider myself to be pretty well-informed on such issues.
Ms. Thurber,
How about another $1950 contribution to our fearless leader Dubya?? With your own money??
It's comforting to see that no one political party has a complete lock on "questionable" campaign activity.
Actually the word should be reassuring.
Thanks to Lisa and other politically bent bloggers for bringing these "nasty bits" to light.
We are all better informed because of them.
Maggie,
Let me refresh your memory. Members of the Grass Roots Republican Party Coalition are responsible for getting you on the ballot while you were too busy vacationing in Europe. You did send a thank you letter, but after you were elected, you forgot about the people who helped you get there in the first place.
Lisa:
You failed to mention Dave Schulz's creative campaigning. Also, Dave Schulz is a republican, wants to be elected for a republican seat, and is bashing our republican President.
From today's blade article:
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060424/NEWS09/604240345/-1/NEWS
//Mr. Stainbrook said the endorsement refers to the Grass Roots committee, whose name appears farther down the card, and that he is "absolutely not" misleading voters. He criticized Mr. Schulz for having publicly questioned President Bush's "moral currency" over Mr. Bush's support for a federal gay marriage ban.
Mr. Stainbrook also criticized an ad that Mr. Schulz used in his unsuccessful Toledo City Council campaign last year. The ad showed Mr. Schulz with a female supporter and her child and included a caption with the woman's name.
In February, 2004, Mr. Schulz, a spokesman for the Log Cabin Republicans of Northwest Ohio, a gay and Lesbian group, criticized Gov. Bob Taft for signing the law which bans same-sex marriages in Ohio.
"Who's being deceiving?" Mr. Stainbrook said yesterday about Mr. Schulz.//
This to me suggests that he was trying to deceive the voters by suggesting that the family on the ad was his, even though he had a "disclaimer" on it. What was the purpose of the image if not to suggest to the voters that he is a family man?
Dave Schulz is a hypocrite.
Dear anonymous number 3 - if you read my latest post I think I cover the "deception" issue rather well.
If you prefer Jon, by all means vote for him, but I don't agree with your calling Dave a hypocrite. Clearing idenfying Susan is a bit different than promising people more money that what is the allowable amount paid for election inspection jobs and listing an endorsement that gives a false impression to an organization that no one seems to have heard of. Even with the discovery that it was created by Paula Pennybacker I was not able to find anything about it nor have I had confirmation from anyone I have asked if they knew about it either.
Nor is it accurate to claim credit for recruiting 47 people if what I was told about only 4 of them showing up for the special training session arranged for them is true.
The Lucas County Republican Party does need to be revived. No one can dispute that. However, that's going to take a person that can work with everyone and who also is going to at least appear to have the best interest of the party first and foremost. If Jon truly wants to be chair, what he is doing in District 11 and the 15L race seem counterproductive to setting an example as far as leadership skills. A leadership candidate should be above reproach and certainly should not just perpetuate the concerns of ethics.
Lisa-
"Nor is it accurate to claim credit for recruiting 47 people if what I was told about only 4 of them showing up for the special training session arranged for them is true." Where did you find that information? I have been looking online and cannot find anything about it.
I'm assuming you are the same anonymous as #3 - the information pertaining to the special scheduling and number who appeared was told to me by what I would call a "reliable source", someone who would have no benefit in telling me something that was not accurate. No one else has reported on this yet which is why I stated " if what I was told about only 4 of them showing up for the special training session arranged for them is true" and "who according to a source only 4 of the volunteers showed up for a special training session scheduled just for them". If the information is incorrect then I'll be happy to state otherwise. As far as the evidence as to the promise of paying more than what is listed? I have seen that and confirmed it was the correct email/phone number listed elsewhere for Jon Stainbrook.
I'm not a journalist, however I am very careful to make sure I am as accurate as possible before I post something. Hence my also verifying that Jon Stainbrook was not endorsed by either the Lucas County Republican party or the Ohio Republican Party. I've also personally seen one of the cards that was sent out which I've put the image up as I'm sure you saw earlier.
Post a Comment