Sunday, April 16, 2006

WAKE UP Lucas County!

Last night I will admit I was a bit disappointed to see as reported on Progressive Toledo information on some recent polling numbers for the Democratic Candidates for the Lucas County Primary.

While I'd like to see more specifics as to the polling information, especially after reading this Toledo Blade article I can't help but wonder at times what do Lucas County voters really want?

Toledo City Councilman Phil Copeland, the third Democrat running for commissioner in the May 2 primary election, has yet to make a major policy announcement.

Tim Wagener's idea to launch an “unprecedented” countywide initiative to promote interaction between high schoolers and older citizens; is a nice one. I believe interaction and volunteerism should be encouraged, however, that to me is a more appropriate function of a school district. Springfield Schools as an example has a community service requirement for it's high schoolers. Or perhaps thru Lucas County Educational Service Center since they have connections/contact with public school systems in the district.

Student Community Service is listed in the Ohio Revised Code:

[§ 3333.04.3] § 3333.043. Programs to encourage students to perform community service.

I'm all for people selecting who they think the best candidate would be, and I fully understand that this is not going to be something we all agree on. Else there would be no need for elections, we'd all come to the same concensus on a candidate and *voila* person selected. Yet I find it continually troubling when it's hard to understand why a selection was even made. The Tim Vs Ben discussions I understand, while Tim hasn't promoted any large scale vision or plans like Ben has, Tim does have an identifiable suburban support record that is an important consideration. If Phil Copeland had such a sterling record on City Council that it was by the mere demonstration of his leadership skills there that people automatically had confidence in his ability to be a Lucas County Commissioner it would be a bit easier to understand why he would poll higher. That's not the case though, unless I've missed something...

So, I'm left at this point until more information comes out shaking my head in wonderment as to how and why some of my local county residents make their decisions in who to support on election day.

6 comments:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I'm afraid that you will be disappointed with the dem choice once the dust settles.

As for me, I just flip-floppeed on my top choice.

Who I sense you leaning toward is third on my list ;-)

Unknown said...

I'd be interested in your reasoning for supporting him.

I am still between Tim and Ben, though Ben is still my top choice.

:-)

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

That would be SHE ;-)

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Or, her...

That darned grammar thingie. . .

Unknown said...

Well that makes it obvious, Pam's not third for me, because I know I am going to vote as a Democrat in this primary. You had me scared for a minute I thought you were going to vote for Phil (lol)

If Pam is the one to win the Republican primary then I will have to make a decision for the general depending on who gets the Democratic win.

Part of me would like to vote Republican because I would like to vote for Dave for the State Central Committee Seat. Yet, I have to make a decision and so I had to base it on how many races from each party did I feel most important. It's the downside to the declared primary system that places one in this position.

I don't want to see Carty win the State Central Committee seat for the Democratic Party, I do want to see Marc Dann win (after a lot of soul searching) then the Supreme Court candidates, and the Lucas County Commissioner's race.

:-)

Anonymous said...

For my pick, Tim is the Man who gets my vote.