Ben outlined his Cool County initiative (more on that later).
George responded to Pam's statement that George was only using running for Lucas County Commissioner as a stepping stone to become Mayor.
I'm going to slow down a bit at this point and cover some of the reactions. George Sarantou stated we need to be "future oriented". He speaks very with alot of animation with his hands, very energetic in his responses.
Tim Wagener appears much more laid back, he speaks carefully and slowly. He stated that he agrees with the suburbs and Toledo working together.
Tim was then asked if he would raise or lower taxes if elected. He stated as Mayor of Maumee that taxes had never gone up, and that he would not support a tax increase without the support of the voters.
Phil took a 30 second response that Tim's job creation was taking jobs from Toledo to Maumee. The economic growth in Maumee has been on the backs of Toledo Residents. Phil Copeland does not appear to be a polished politician, yet he speaks with animation as well.
Pam again brought up George running for Mayor (it must be pick on George night at the debates).
Pam Haynam speaks quickly she seems self confident rather than speaking fast out of being nervous.
Ben then asked Pam if she would vote and support Taft and President Bush. She stated she did support them in the past and that she thinks since there are so many immigrants trying to get into this country that we are doing fairly well right now.
George then took 30 seconds to remind people that he has worked with Democrats and his focus on the high cost of utilities as well as manufacturing such as Jeep.
Cosi support question to George Sarantou, he believes they should explore other resources rather than a levy. He said we just can't keep coming to the voters.
Tim responded to Phil's job stealing, that if you look at Arrowhead that is why jobs come there and he has never knocked on a business's door telling them to come to Maumee.
Tim brought up the unfunded mandate issue, Phil took his 30 seconds to respond stating he supported the personal discretionary funds.
Closing statements:
Phil Copeland, proud to be here and is trying to do what is best for Lucas County. He wants downtown to be like it was back in the 50's and 60's.
Pam Haynam's closing, she stated she is not a polished debater but she offers a choice because she is a real Republican. Less government and less taxes is her main theme. She then stressed her fiscal watchdog experience. She then brought up the George Sarantou running for Mayor next theme. She stressed her experience and her parenting as another reason why she wants to run and feel she is the only candidate that will bring balance.
Ben closed next, he started out thanking everyone and why the process is so important. He stated he is the only candidate with a vision and ideas. Eighty years ago things here were booming, now the economy is changing and we need serious leaderships, ideas not cliches. Lowering senior citizen taxes and stopping brain drain is also a focus for him.
George gave his closing statement next, he stated that fiscal responsibility is "near and dear to his heart". He has helped sell Wall Street on the great area that we live and that his 24 years of experience as well as fighting to lower utility costs in this area are reasons why he should be the next Lucas County Commissioner. He feels he is the voice of reason on the panel today, that he will be a full time commissioner.
Final closing goes to Tim, he has created jobs as a small business man and as an elected official. He stated he will use relationships he has built to help Lucas County, he mentioned his website (which is on my blog). He thanked everyone and asked that people do participate and vote (though he would prefer you vote for him.)
And that ends it...I'll do edits updates in a few....Wow that was an experience!
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
42 comments:
Did Pam just pull a "shuck & duck"???
partnering withthe Zoo is not a viable solution
HT...I think she did
Lisa - good analysis of the perspectives on the candidates...
Wagonner could use some public speaking help, but does quite well compared to Phil.
Copeland defending discretionary funding because it "helps people" and it's okay because they're not going out having fun on that money...
I don't think he gets it...Since he makes $130,000 each year, let him spend his own money!
Closing statements already???
Boo, Hiss!
Waggener's never knocked on a business' door to ask them to come to Maumee? Did he really say that? Who wants a Commissioner that wouldn't even champion the County as a place for businesses to relocate to?
When you've got to plan on 10 minutes for closing statements and 2 minutes to close the show....
Lisa,
We need another hour with you firing the questions at the candidates, IMNHO.
Anon - you can't alienate all the Toledoans by saying you're stealing their companies...
Almost a no-win situation for Wagener since he wasn't prepared for it. IMHO
I thik Phil just contradicted himself on Regional Government.
Maggie,
Good point. His response comes across kind of silly though.
I liked Pam's closing statement...thought she summarized her points well and drew a contrast between herself and George.
Maggie,
I agree. Pam came off surprisingly well tonight. I wonder if she has any chance against George?
I just had to winder, "What does Ben want to be (if) when he grows up?"
Go Ben!
Bash Bush.
Didn't know that Bush was running...
Ben said we're at a critical juncture in our County's history...he keeps talking about new ideas - not cliche - but I did not hear how he would be a change to what the current board is doing...
He did a good job of pointing out that he's actually offering ideas which his primary opponents are not.
Both Pam and George seemed to stay on message.
Not Bad. . .
Tim's up now.
George said he's worked to eliminate waste in government...
George said he wants one radio system for all police and fire in Lucas County...guess he hasn't heard about the 800 MHZ system that we're already putting in.
George didn't really contrast himself with Pam - just said he'd be balance on the BCC.
Well prepared,though
Current Rating for the Debate:
Dems:
1 - Ben (a little too much of Bush and Taft, but at least has some substance)
2 - Tim (would be last, but...)
3 - Phil (please, please, please don't elect this man)
Reps:
1 - Pam (thought she handled herself well throughout)
2 - George (came off a little too slick in my opinion. all in all not too bad though)
probably nearly???
His closing sounded better than his debate.
Tim comes off very personably but his closing statement was very weak.
My ratings:
Dems
1. Ben Konop- although I dont know his position on the Zoo
2. Tim Wagoner- only because Phil is last
3. Phil Copeland...Is he serious?!
Republicans
1. George..Has the experience Pam is lacking
2. Pam for the reason stated above
Lisa - NICE JOB!!!!!!
Lisa - NICE JOB!!!!
I'm sure it wasn't easy keeping up with them, but you did it well.
THANKS!
I think the strength of his endorsements will help Tim a lot after tonight, but was turned off by his closing routine.
Phil? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA wrong.
Ben? I see problems focusing on issues. As a televised debate, it would have helped him to focus on his own agenda instead of trying to rile up the Republicans. That could hurt him.
George? Agreed. Practice Practice Practice pays off.
Pam? She was very nervous, but I guess the forum pressures are a lot for the first debate.
Thank you Lisa, you've done a fantastic job.
GREAT JOB LISA! :)
krazykat - I know both George and Pam...Pam has an MBA, George doesn't. Pam's been elected by Sylvanian Township, City of Sylvania and City of Toledo (portions) and George only in Toledo. Pam's been in business 28 years, George for 24. Pam's been in public service for 9 years, George for 5.
Why do you say George has more experience? I see them as pretty equal... Just curious...
If I were a Dem, I'd be ready to get behind Tim because he does have the experience the other two lack...
Maggie,
I'm a dem and I'm tired of our government not getting anything done. Konop was by and far the best democratic candidate. He at least has thought of some ideas to improve lucas county. I don't think public experience is such a good thing if you're a dem in lucas county. Nothing seems to be working right now.
Good point, Kurt. Do you also think that Ben will be able to remain "different" once in office with the other two dems?
Maybe I'm just jaded when it comes to thinking that may be difficult...
Maggie...
I believe the theater in which George operates lends itself more to the experience needed in facing similar issues on the County seat. Pam's MBA, although honorable does not make her more qualified IMHO. I believe nothing beats hands on experience in any career choice.
Although I think Ben won this debate on the Dem side does not mean that he has won my vote. Tim presented himself very well and I must say was the only person to respond to my email request for his position on the Zoo levies. I just like the fact that Ben is willing to bring fresh ideas to the table.
Maggie,
I don't know if Ben will fall into the trap if elected (can't see the future), but I'd like to think he would do a better job pushing his agenda than the other two dems currently serving as commish.
On the republican side, I think Pam is definitely a better candidate.
krazykat - actually having done the job, I can tell you it's more administrative than legislative. There's very little flexibility in the statutory responsibilities.
IMHO, school board, mayor, or something similar to a CEO, CFO, business owner would give an individual the similar types of experiences you'd use as a commissioner.
I guess that's why I was drawn to both Pam and Tim during the debate...
Sorry I'm late - I was covering the Blade protest.
Looks like Phil Copeland made it on time. He spent a few minutes working the crowd on Beech Street.
I'm home now so I'm going to figure out my impressions. That hour flew by, I just entered the zen blogging zone and kept typing. I type fast but I still wish I could have gone even faster.
:-)
I know I missed some points here and there but I have to re-read what I included here. I just kept publishing then re-publishing.
I also had a chance to meet all of the candidates but more on that later too..
Well the feeling has returned to my three typing fingers now, so I say, "Let's do it again!"
You did very well Lisa, you did yourself proud.
And, I apologize to all, for my “chatty” fingers ;-)
Thanks for the blogging Lisa! It was awesome!
I love the fact that you guys commented and debated this during the debate. That to me is one of the reasons for doing this. When I was done blogging and saw how many comments? You guys made me have a huge smile so HT? No worries, I love "chatty fingers".
:-)
Congratulations on the traffic Lisa!
It does sound like Pam is the real Republican, but George does come off as more polished.
I can't imagine Copeland getting any votes, but then again this is Lucas County and the unions do the voting.
Konof came off as a jackass and didn't seem to have anything of substance to say other than bashing Bush and Taft.
I just responded to that on TT.
:-)
Post a Comment