Well, sort of revealed. I still can't find any information on the group but thanks to an article written by Jim Tankersley of the Toledo Blade as linked above, we do know that Paula Pennypacker is the founder of the Grass Root Republican Party Coalition. According to Jon as quoted in the article that was what he meant by claiming to be an "Endorsed Republican Candidate" on the post cards he sent out.
Flashing back to the past, as I did as soon as I read the name Paula Pennypacker...Is she trying to once again shake things up in the Lucas County Republican Party? Supporting Jon Stainbrook over Dennis Lange who is the current interim chair. Isn't he the same Dennis Lange who was the volunteer coordinator for her mayoral run in 1989?
Keeping with that "flashback moment" Toledo Blade 1998:
Paula Pennypacker. The two-time mayoral candidate successfully led a rebellion within the Lucas County Republicans, leading a grass-roots drive for precinct leaders in the May election. The result: a wider activist base for the party and the resignation of party chairman James Brennan. Ms. Pennypacker then moved herself and her makeup business to Arizona.
"Who's being deceiving?" was the question asked by Mr. Stainbrook. Let's think about that for a moment. Getting 47 volunteers and appearing to promise them more than what the standard rate is for being an election inspector, who according to a source only 4 of the volunteers showed up for a special training session scheduled just for them. Then listing yourself as an endorsed candidate when you know one of your opponents is the person who was endorsed by the Ohio Republican Party...Compared to using a picture clearly identified with a woman you considered to be your mentor and as a a spokesman for the Log Cabin Republicans of Northwest Ohio, not being in support of a ban against gay marriages.
I've met and talked with many Republicans thru out the years that haven't agreed with every single platform of the Republican party. That doesn't make them unqualified for a position within the Party. It makes them...human...
David Schulz is running on an ethics-themed platform for the District 11 central committee position. You can read more about that here.
Jon Stainbrook may have very good intentions of wanting to help the Lucas County Republican Party, however after all of the problems in recent years whoever is selected as Chair should be beyond reproach when it comes to ethics.
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
2 comments:
Lisa - you're right about Dennis being Paula's campaign manager/coordinator. And Dennis is only the interim chair of the LCRP (a result of our bylaws).
After Paula Pennypacker lost the mayoral election, she was not that involved in party activities - except for the drive to get precinct committmembers - and then she and her family moved to Arizona.
Unfortunately, many of those who were recruited in that drive did not stay active in the party.
I do remember some of what happened when Paula did live here, though I was not quite as interested in politics then as now.
I know Dennis stated on Bob Frantz's show he would might be interested in being a permanent chair depending on what changes were made. As I understand it currently it is an unpaid volunteer position. I am learning more about both parties than I knew when I first started blogging.
Thanks Maggie, that confirms what I was told concerning Dennis as well.
:-)
Post a Comment