Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Former Mayor Jack Ford asks some questions about GOTV...

In last week's edition of Sojourner's Truth, Jack Ford has his regular column My View in which he touches on several topics but one in particular is questions concerning why he has not seen a GOTV effort in the central city district of Toledo:

Let me shift to state politics. We have less than 100 days until the election of a new governor and the conclusion of the U.S. Senate race. In times past, the machinery for a strong voter registration effort would be gearing up in Ohio. Yet I see nothing being done to increase the ranks of minority voters.

Usually we see the beginning of a get out the vote (GOTV) effort reflected in the placing of a GOTV office in the central city, usually where Robinson Junior High School is being rebuilt. I see nothing going on.

Is it because the Democrats do not want a heavy black turnout for fear that the vote will help Blackwell? Is Blackwell content to let the minority vote be less than what it could be because he does not know how the black vote will go? Why aren’t Toledo leaders organizing strong registration efforts anyway, just for the hell of it?


There's more at the link, when the next edition comes out the articles are still available using the pdf archive link at Sojourner's Truth.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about a DIRT GOTV drive?
DIRT = Democrats, Independents, and Republicans Together.
GOTV = Get Out The Vote.

Unknown said...

That's a creative idea Roland. What's unfortunate is that there would even have to be a GOTV.

Joe R said...

Why no GOTV registrations? Blackwell's Ohio House Bill 3, makes registering voters the way we used to do it illegal.

There are ways to do it but its much more complicated. Perhaps someone that is more learned in the new law can explain better.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Ward I wanted to thank you for plugging my site in your 07/19 edition of Blog it, Toledo in the Free Press. I have no uploading ability in Iraq, so I revamped the site using Wordpress. Thank you so much for stopping by!!

liberal_dem said...

Usually we see the beginning of a get out the vote (GOTV) effort reflected in the placing of a GOTV office in the central city, usually where Robinson Junior High School is being rebuilt. I see nothing going on.

A-team, B-team stuff for sure. Sad but true.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I would think that a GOTV effort would have been mounted by all three parties, if the truly believed the GOV message.

But, there's still that pesky ole politics thing rearing its ugly head again...