Thursday, August 31, 2006

George Sarantou unveils his "Four Point Plan"

The Sarantou campaign does not include me in their Press Conference releases, so I can't provide the release in full for yesterday's press conference. However, according to the Toledo Blade as linked in the title he offered several ideas yesterday as a part of what was stated is his "Four Point Plan".

One idea mentioned was the creation of a "Tax Free Day", which several states do offer, typically prior to school starting so that parents can buy necessary items for their children's back to school needs while enjoying a tax break. It would be more appropriate for someone like Mark Wagoner to offer that as legislation but George could support it under the "bully pulpit" principle.

I do agree that is a good idea and one that no matter the outcome of this election hope someone proceeds with.

Ben Konop's response to George's press conference is also included as a part of the Toledo Blade article.

For some further information on states who have considered a sales tax free day, several interesting articles, one on the increase of states that offer this, and from New Mexico, and from Arizona where legislation to create a similar day failed.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Very true Christine, great clarification you are very correct in that the states do offer this "tax holiday" for more than one day.

Most of them do it over a weekend so it's more than one day. Texas from what I understand offers this for nine days in a row.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I too agree that the tax holiday should be more than one day.

As for Ben's comments, they (again) seem to be all negative, with nothing positive to be said to counter George's suggestions.

Ben's overall negativism makes it hard for me to warm up to him Lisa. Hovever, I still feel that Toledo's salvation lies with the younger politicians.

Unknown said...

Hooda, I don't see Ben as being negative from an over all campaign point of view but I know you are not a huge fan of his and we agree to disagree on a bit of this. From a "comment on your opponent's proposal", it would be kind of unusual for any candidate even Ben to say "Damn that's a good idea".

So I agree that most candidates, including Ben take a negative view of what the other guy is suggesting. George has done the same thing when Ben has proposed something. Would it be nice if it was done in a more positive critique manner? Yes, but then again we both know that the full comments candidates make don't make it into the paper, we get whatever the reporter has decided to include. That's another advantage of the blogs, sometimes when candidates comment we hear more of what they shared that due to column size restraints or other factors we don't hear.

:-)

Anonymous said...

I saw Ben Konop today at the Downtown Latte but he never look over my way so I could say hello. He was standing up with his back to me and was busy speaking with Al Baldwin who was sitting in a chair at a table. I did not wish to interupt him as I consider that to be impolite. After 15 minutes or so they walked out together.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Lisa,

As far as both candidates taking negative views of each other’s campaign statements, you’re right as usual.

Hell, if any candidate has said anything positive about their opponent’s message I don’t recall hearing it, they ALL do it.

And, with me being hyper-sensitive to negative campaigns as I’ve become, I’m seriously considering becoming a hermit (cave and all) until after the November elections ;-(

I also seem to have a fixation on how slick and polished Ben’s campaign is. I’d probably accept his candidacy without question if he weren’t so relationally connected to the political machine.

Don’t get me wrong, George is not my dream candidate, but I feel that he should/would offer another perspective/opinion to the dominant political lock on Lucas County, and that’s probably George’s most attractive attribute, now that I think about it,

I guess that it all boils down to perceptions, expectations and preferences. I perceive one-party domination as something that I would prefer not happen, however I expect that this may be the case.

I would prefer that a three-seat board, like the Lucas County board of commissioners, be occupied by a more representative/balanced/diverse trio.

But, this IS Lucas County, so my expectations, if any, may be totally unrealistic…

Now, if the shoe were on the other foot and Ben was jousting against a possible three republican stranglehold, then Ben would look quite attractive ;-)