Thursday, August 03, 2006

If it helps just one person? It will be priceless...

As I read the Toledo Blade online this morning, I came across this article. It highlights the City of Toledo and Lucas County working together to put an insert to be included with residents water bills on Domestic Abuse/Violence.

Initiated by Lucas County Domestic Violence Task Force, the effort is a collaboration between Toledo and Lucas County officials. Inserts will be in English and Spanish and give a phone number and a Web site where victims can receive help.

The article stated the City of Toledo spent $400.00 on the paper and Lucas County printed the message on the inserts.

This to me deserved a moment of thanks and appreciation.

:-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrific idea, and at such a small cost. I agree with you, they should be applauded.

Maggie said...

Lucas County does more than most counties to help dv victims. Everything from cameras for the police to a 24-hour emergency response team (to help the victim get through the initial 24 hours after a dv incident) to the victim assistance program, to Kid's Space (where children can be cared for in the court house while the victim attends court hearings), to the dv prosecutors, to the various social service programs to help them get back on their feet if they've had to go to a shelter.

The vast majority of what's being done is being done well. Personally, I like the notices and flyers that are placed in women's restrooms, beauty shops, OB/GYN offices, doctor's officies and such places where you'll find women by themselves without an abusive spouse looking over their shoulder.

I was concerned about that aspect. In sending these to the homes, does that potentially jeopardize a victim who might be seen looking at or utilizing such information on the flyer?

Anyone know?

Holly said...

Great idea, if I'd have had this flyer I'd have given it to that poor woman in the apartment across the hall from where I was cleaning the other day! I think they did a good thing by doing this and agree with jen that they should be applauded!

Unknown said...

That's what I was thinking Holly that maybe if someone like her gets one of these flyers with a utility bill they might use the number.

Unfortunately since most renters don't get a water bill that is one group is not going to be reached by this. Unless Columbia Gas or First Energy could be inspired to do the same thing in the spirit of public service. But the water bills are a good start.

Maggie, in looking at some of the other places that have mentioned doing this I didn't find anything that appeared to suggest that it increased risk.

Realistically if a woman is "caught" with it that is in danger the fact that it was included in a utility bill can be used as an excuse rather than having a written phone number or some other type of flyer/information. Also some men that are that controlling/abusive are not going to allow them to be in a situation alone where they would meet other women.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Great idea putting this in water bills.

Better still, in the eother utility bills and other places where women are likely to be away from the abusers.

Now, how about the smallest minority, abused guys?

There are abused guys out there too, you know.