A friend wrote me an email asking if I would poll the readers of this blog to see where you go at night to have fun. She's looking for ideas that could be done on any night and that preferrably don't involve the bar scene since she and her Significant Other don't drink.
Considering going to the Ribs by the River was the first time Miguel and I had gone anywhere in months, I'm not the best expert on social entertainment options in Toledo. A wild night here consists of Yahtzee, Canasta or if we are feeling really frisky..Poker.
:-)
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
9 comments:
For something different...although I'm not really a fan, we enjoy the Toledo Speedway on Friday nights.
With a bunch of kids along, PuttPutt/Go Karts is also fun - more because of the company, though.
Unless you drink, in which case there are plenty of fun things to do in Toledo.
We spend quite a bit of time going to:
The Toledo Rep
The Village Players
The Valentine
-and-
The Stranahan, for:
The Pops Concerts and other plays/performances.
Granted, it's not for everyone though.
Where do I go for a good time?
Chicago, Columbus, Athens, Ann Arbor.... without the Ark --I'd be insane. Spent the weekend in Dublin.
The scene in Toledo sucks so bad.
For their finale one year, Rally by the River booked a Ted Nugent tribute band.
I told a musician friend from Nashville about it and he responded "What? They couldn't just get Ted?"
As a family of 4 we thoroughly enjoy going out to Sundance Kid Drive In out on Navarre Avenue. It's a great deal for the price ($7 for adults, $2.50 for kids 6-12 and kids under 6 are free). We take a cooler with drinks and make sure to grab dinner on Navarre Avenue before we go in. But their snack bar is awesome and they also have a trailer behind the snack bar that sells cotton candy, funnel cakes and other fair type treats. They show 2 movies on each screen, so for us it's $23.50 to see 2 movies. We take lawn chairs along and sit outside of the car to watch the movie, it's much more enjoyable than trying to sit in the car. It's just a really good time and we try to go at least once a month when they're open. I highly reccomend this for parents with kids that like to go to the movies!
In general, my night-life days are over. Who has the energy? However, occasionally, I go for a walk in Promenade Park. It's usually deserted at night.
Connextions Comedy Club, Museum Peristyle performances, Concerts at the Zoo, numerous amateur theater venues, Stranahan Masonic Compex performances, Putt-Putt, bowling, and of course there's always --
ah, ah, how do I put this - okay, here goes - Ann Arbor, Detroit, and Windsor.
We don't have it as bad as *some* communities.
We have tons of very nice metroparks and bike trails if you are outdoorsy.
I think I heard somewhere that we have the highest people-restaurant ratio in the nation, and there are lots of really neat theme restaurants like the Japanese Steakhouse, Johnny Rockets, and soon Mongolian Barbeque.
I highly recommend Murphy's Jazz Cafe downtown. There is almost always something going on down there, and they also serve food.
If you can track him down still, Ragtime Rick gives shows at various restaurants on occasion, and if you can handle vulgar language, it's a show that's not to be missed.
There are literally tons of bowling alleys. If bowling isn't your style, try out a driving range, or putt-putt and go-carts, or even laser tag at Qzar's. There is no shortage of golf in Toledo.
There are also Toledo Mud Hens games, which are A LOT of fun. In the fall, there are the UT and BGSU football games.
You can still see cheap movies at Super Cinemas, and if your budget isn't so tight, there is a movie theater within at least 30 minutes of your house if you live near Toledo.
Friday nights at the art museum are a good time.
The Toledo Zoo is a great place to browse around. They are adding new features and new exhibits all the time! I like animals and learning about them.
Oh, and there's COSI. I suppose it's better with kids, but I'll always be a kid, so it's still fun for me.
Plus, throughout the year, there are plenty of shows you can catch performed by groups like the Waterville Playshop and even by high schools and universities/colleges. One of my favorite shows was when Perrysburg High School put on "Les Miserables" a few springs ago. I could not tell that they were not professionals, there is so much talent in this area.
I also enjoy "window shopping" at the Westfield Shopping Center.
I can't really say I understand where people get off saying that there is "nothing" to do in Toledo. You just haven't looked hard enough!
Of course there are more things for drinkers to do, but the same goes for any other city.
I should have asked you first Emily.
:-)
Post a Comment