Saturday, August 12, 2006

Mark Dansack and the Parade in Monclova

Miguel and I headed out to Monclova Township for their Monclova Homecoming Parade this morning. Mark had told me he was going to be participating and since we had missed meeting in person at few other events, that was my main mission of the morning. It was a great parade, and had all of the perfect elements, with a pretty good turn out from the looks of it.

I normally don't have my picture taken with candidates, that's Aubrey's job. However she wasn't with us today so? A pretty rare circumstance, me pictured below with Mark Dansack.



There are a few more pictures up at the title link at my flickr account for those who want to check them out. I really liked the jet shaped car, I'm thinking I'd really like one of those. :-)

Anita Lopez was there, as well as Mark Wagoner. Supporters of Linda Jennings, Ben Konop, George Sarantou were also a part of the parade. We had a temporary camera issue so Miguel was not able to take pictures of all of the various political supporters/candidates that were present. It was my error in not deleting enough photos from the camera card, future events I'm going to bring along one of my extra cards.

A Wagoner supporter approached us and gave us stickers, she then proceeded to tell me that the "other" candidate (meaning Mark Dansack) was trying to capitalize on the name 'Mark". Somehow I don't think that the reason that Mark Dansack decided to run for office had anything to do with his or his opponent's first name. She was walking right along side of the Dansack supporters rather than with the Wagoner group that was a few cars back. It appears she was telling quite a few people her theory as she progressed down the parade route.

Anyway, it was a beautiful day for a parade, and it appeared everyone present, especially the children with their bags ready for the candy that is thrown had a great time. Monclova did a very nice job and their pride in their community is well deserved. Mark Dansack might have more on the parade on his blog later.

:-)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, both candidates are named Mark, however remember the difference that Wagoner took funds from Tom Noe, then did not return the funds to the State of Ohio BWC. I was shocked today at the Monclova parade when one of Wagoner's staff handed me a State of Ohio map, also paid for by Ohio taxpayers. First Noe BWC funds now State of Ohio maps (I know the state gives the maps out for free, however how did he get boxes of them for this purpose, did he use his state office?). What next! This practice of handouts paid for by Ohio taxpayers seemed somewhat questionable to me. I think this District needs new blood to clean-up from Taft to Wagoner. The map was the last straw, I'm voting Mark Dansack.

Unknown said...

Gee, I didn't get offered a map. :-)

I understand your point though, even if his office gets the maps for free using them at a campaign event isn't something I'd suggest as a great way to woo voters. At least the little notepad I was given states "Not printed at Taxpayer's expense" on it.

Anonymous said...

Okay, here's my problem with this post, and please don't take any offense Lisa. We have two candidates here, an incumbent and a challeger. The incumbent, Mark Wagoner, is a lawyer, and has stood steadfast by his desire to make this region stronger. For instance, he played a large part in the MUO-UT merger in his first two years in office. It seems obvious to me that his priorities are in the right place. On the other hand, Mark Dansack is a paralegal, and has done nothing that I know of to make Toledo grow. Based on these two factors, this tells me two things. Mark Wagoner has the critical thinking skills required to be a lawyer and politician, and in office he has made the right decisions. Mark Dansack is a paralegal, and he does what lawyers tell him to do. Is there going to any difference down in columbus? I doubt it. So while you can say that somebody walking with the Dansack campaign claimed to support Wagoner with the BS excuse in your article, I'm extremely skeptical, and think, instead, that this person was a Dansack employee. I doubt Wagoner is that stupid. Comeon, this person was walking with Dansack. I just lost a lot of respect for Dansack.

Unknown said...

Kurt - the person was a Wagoner supporter in a Wagoner shirt handing out Wagoner stickers. Rather than walk with the Wagoner group she was working the crowd at the exact moment the Dansack supporters were in that parade position.

I think you misunderstood, but that is exactly what happened. She approached me, she stated what she did about Mark using the name "Mark" and went on down the line of the crowd. The rest of the Wagoner supporters were in their assigned position in the parade.

Hopefully that clarifies it for you. I personally thought it was a bit unprofessional but? It was that particular supporter and not a reflection on either candidate since I did not see or hear that from Mr. Wagoner.

Your supporters did an excellent job Ben and it was a very nice parade.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that Ben has time to comment on this blog but not his own. When I think of Ben, it just produces a big yawn.

Unknown said...

Well anonymous there is a very logical explanation behind that - besides the fact that I'm special (lol).

When you have your own blog and you write things you have to have the time to be able to respond to comments - and Ben is campaigning. So visiting here and commenting is alot easier than having to try to stay on top of his own blog at this point in time.

I'm sure he'd love to blog more than he can right now but there is only so much time in day.

However if you are that bored? Then the reason why probably doesn't matter much.

:-)

Mark said...

Kurt,

Thanks for the compliments. It's nice that without meeting me, you have been able to presumably get to know me enough to intelligently post on this issue.

As far as you kind comments regarding my profession, and the fact that my campaign has been able to confiscate my opponent's t-shirts and volunteers and also to train them on what to say, I can only say the following.

I don't believe you have to be a lawyer to represent people down in Columbus. I have as much education as does my opponent (Master's Degree in Public Adminstration) and have been involved in my community during my adult life.

As far as the UT-MCO merger, my opponent certainly did not accomplish this single-handedly and there are unanswered questions regarding the costs involved that maybe should have been considered prior to the merger becoming a reality.

I've never met you, but I take offense at your willingness to blame my campaign for unethical behavior, and request a public apology. I'm not sure I care whether I've lost the respect of someone I haven't met, and someone who can't get his facts straight.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark said...

Lisa Renee,

Thanks for the post. We'll keep fighting to give the citizens of District 46 a choice between the status quo and a new beginning in Ohio.

Nice to have met you in person, although the conversation was brief due to the parade moving on.

Mark

Anonymous said...

So, it appears that lawyers are smarter than paralegals? Hmmm...I bet there are many paralegals out there who would disagree. And probably just as many lawyers who would disagree too.

You know, I have a law degree and I don't really think that having one more degree and being able to pass a 2 1/2 day test to be a licensed attorney makes you smarter or better than the next person.

I think that's the problem with a lot of lawyers and law students today - they think they are smarter and better just because they are lawyers and law students.

A law degree does not equal more intelligence. It just means you went to school for 3 more years than some other people and passed your classes.

And don't get me started on how many stupid politicians are running around out there.

An extra college degree does not make one smarter. I think it would be wise to remember this before one goes spouting off about how much smarter lawyers are than the "average joe."

Anonymous said...

"I have as much education as does my opponent (Master's Degree in Public Adminstration)."

I'll just say wow to that. So a masters degree is now a doctorate. Fascinating spin. Incidentally, I don't think paralegals are incapable of serving the public, my point was that there are many lawyers down in columbus already, so are you going to simply assist them, or be a leader. In other words, are you going to be a typical party line congressperson, or are you going to make a lot of noise and be a leader? Apparently, you missed the analogy the first time around, so I have no problem explaining it again.

"It's nice that without meeting me, you have been able to presumably get to know me enough to intelligently post on this issue."

What issue? It doesn't make any sense to me that Wagoner would ask one of his campaign workers to walk with your campaign. Nor does it make any sense that you'd allow that. But I'm getting a better picture of the situation now. At first, I thought this person was literally walking with you passing out Wagoner stuff. Now, I'm getting the impression that you were in the parade, and this person was in the crowd passing stuff out at the same time you passed. It sounded conspiratorial, hence the reason why I mentioned an equally outrageous conspiracy theory against you. Now it sounds coincidental. This person just happened to be passing stuff out in the crowd as your campaign passed. Why was the timing of it mentioned if it were merely coincidental? To make it sound conspiratorial?

"As far as the UT-MCO merger, my opponent certainly did not accomplish this single-handedly and there are unanswered questions regarding the costs involved that maybe should have been considered prior to the merger becoming a reality."

First off, it's called the UT-MUO merger. Second, no politician can accomplish anything by him or herself. If you think that you can, especially as a member of the minority party, you have a lot to learn. There's this whole system of checks and balances. It takes a lot of people to accomplish anything in politics. Furthermore, I said that Wagoner "played a large part" in the UT-MUO merger. I didn't say he did it on his own. Indeed, he did play a large part in the merger.

"I take offense at your willingness to blame my campaign for unethical behavior, and request a public apology."

I did not blame anyone for unethical behavior. I was merely throwing an equally outrageous accusation out there to even things up. As I said earlier, this seems to be a coincidence, but I thought it was outrageous to suggest that the Wagoner campaign intentionally sent someone to walk with your campaign, and that you would let someone from his campaign walk with your campaign. As to your public apology request, I don't think so.

Speaking of not getting facts straight. Wow. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Not only are both candidates named Mark, but Dansack had the name first. (Thanks for your blog site, and the kind way you treat your guests here LisaRenee.) We are going toward Columbus today and hopefully there will be some of those Ohio maps available still today. I heard Wagoner was passing out handfuls of them at the parade. :)

Unknown said...

Kurt, I don't believe I implied or stated I felt the Wagoner campaign was responsible for the behavior of this one volunteer. I blogged about it because it was unusual and it was to be blunt crass of the volunteer. I have no idea if Mr. Wagoner was even aware of it since he was back farther in the parade. I don't even know if Mark Dansack knew about it either. I was relating what I personally experienced. Infact Miguel thought given it was the Dansack people going by us when he was first approached by the Wagoner person and she asked him if he wanted a sticker from Mark that it was for Mark Dansack.

It's not Standard Operating Procedure for supporters to do this from what I've seen. It is normal for candidates to lag behind their supporters because they are meeting people. Anita Lopez as one example had to hustle to get back up with her group. That is a bit different than what happened.

As for the whole paralegal V lawyer issue, considering I have thought about becoming a paralegal, I'm biased. I don't think one is more important than the other - I think both are a necessary component and I don't believe you have to be a lawyer to be a good public official.

We go back a ways Kurt, and I'm not sure if you are really serious or if you are trying to see if Mark Dansack would rise to the occassion and debate you. Which he did. I do think implying that Mark Dansack had anything to do with the errant Wagoner supporter was an incorrect assumption. I tried to be very clear that I was not placing that assumption on Mark Wagoner.

There are some valid concerns about the UT/MUO merger, I've posted about that in the past. So I'm not ready to put that feather in Mark Wagoner's hat yet.

I can't vote for either one, and I don't believe you can either given our physical locations but I will continue to post about this race and other ones as well as candidates. Including sharing "human interest" aspects that happen though hopefully not as controversial.

Thanks anonymous and I hope you continue to stop by. People aren't always going to agree here, but the hope is that it will remain civil and some good will come from the discussion. Have a safe trip.

:-)

Mark said...

Kurt,

Read along if you are able to.

"I'm extremely skeptical, and think, instead, that this person was a Dansack employee. I doubt Wagoner is that stupid. Comeon, this person was walking with Dansack." Your words, not mine.

Maybe (whoever you are) you should get your facts straight. Why not comment on whether Ohio maps should be handed out as a campaign favor by any campaign?

You used this forum to take a shot at me and my volunteers and all I care to say is that when I'm wrong, as a man, I admit it. We'll see about you.

I also think that many people who have earned Master's Degrees would agree with me at least on the years of education. The fact that many of us are working at the same time as gaining these advanced degrees probably makes it a more difficult task.

I stand by my previous post. I also don't pay my volunteers, hence they are not my "employee".

And as for saying I wouldn't "let"
my opponent's volunteers to walk
along with my campaign,
I'll just say it's a free country and they can walk wherever they choose, and say whatever they choose.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

I was not trying to engage Mark in debate. I simply found it odd that this encounter with a Wagoner supporter was highlighted in your post. While you may not have intentionally implied that the Wagoner camp was responsible for this, I thought that your post implied it. If other people thought the same, then it was worth clarifying and discussing. You and I both know that sometimes my posts and comments can be colorful, and I do that to get to the truth. Now we have found the truth. Everybody now knows you were not implying the Wagoner camp had anything to do with it.

Mark,

I hate dirty politics with a passion. If, in fact, this person from the Wagoner camp was playing dirty, then I would not have let it stand. I was trying to find out more about the situation. Based on the facts, as I saw them, it was equally plausible that Wagoner put this person up to doing this, or that this person was a volunteer for your campaign. That was my point. This was based on the facts in the original post. I find it very ironic that you tell me to get my facts straight, when in fact I was attempting to get the facts straight in order to determine if someone was playing dirty. You obviously didn't like that. Sometimes you have to ask the tough questions to get to the truth.

You have to realize Mark, that I'm not a politician, I don't have to speak politically. Such statements like "read along if you are able to," and your first sarcastic response to my comment, might show some arrogance on your part. I know I'm arrogant, but then again, I'm not running for office. I don't have to mind my tone. Frankly, you shouldn't have responded, because my fact finding mission could have been resolved without you. But since you did, I thought it might be a better opportunity for me to get to know you.

Still, you haven't answered my question about being a leader in the General Assembly. Are you party-line, or are you more of an independent thinker? I wish you the best of luck with your campaign.

Unknown said...

Kurt, then I'm glad I clarified and I'm sorry that you felt I created the impression that Mark Wagoner knew what this volunteer was doing.

It was not something you typically expect to see happen which is why I mentioned it in passing. I was focusing mainly on what the Wagoner supporter said about the name "Mark".

I didn't know about the maps, I wasn't offered one but that doesn't mean I don't believe those who wrote here they were given one.

As for the rest of the paralegal V lawyer discussion and the difference in belief as to which Mark is better qualified, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I believe we need people to represent us in government that come from different backgrounds. I think that serves us best because those who are elected can rely on their personal experiences to the benefit of all of us.

It's up to the voters of that district to decide which Mark they feel most comfortable with representing them. My desire is to make sure information is out there as well as sharing my own personal experiences at times.

That said if Wagoner supporters are out there suggesting that somehow Mark is running only because of his first name I think that needs to be addressed. It's the same type of rumor sleeze that we've seen before in other campaigns and will probably see again with other campaigns before November. It's almost as silly as some of the rumors that have been made about the sexual preference of candidates. I did have to make the decision to write about it or ignore it. Sometimes that's the hardest part, especially for me.

Anonymous said...

Absolute silliness...Lisa you're a troublemaker. :)~~

Mark said...

Angela,

Thanks for the kind words. You and I both know what it takes to earn the engineering degree.

Thanks to everyone who supported my views. My daughter Caitlin and I had a great time at the Riboff this afternoon and met some interesting folks at the event. We then returned home as my other daughter Sophie was having her second b-day party today.

Not too much political activity out there at the Rib-off, some t-shirts, but it mostly was a low-key event. Ben Konop was there and came over to say hello, but I didn't see any other candidates.

Kurt,

Since I pretty much recruited myself to run for this office, I can only say that I will be a progressive agent for positive change in Ohio if elected.
I only owe the people of District 46 my best efforts to work for the betterment of our region, and have no ties to special interests. I think we can do better on a host of issues including jobs, education and health care and that will be my focus.

Have a nice night.

Mark

Anonymous said...

Mark,

I appreciate the response. Today, I took the time to learn some more about you. It seems to me that your biggest issue is educational reform in the state of Ohio. As you and I both know, the Supreme Court of Ohio has four times decided that Ohio's system of funding public education is inadequate and unconstitutional. This issue is very important to me. Indeed, I've researched this issue extensively, and I have found a legislative solution. If you email me at progressivetoledo@gmail.com, I will gladly send you a copy of my proprosal. I note that you state you do not have a proposal for this issue at this point, but with my work, and the work of others, I think you will be convinced that this proposal is the solution. I'm glad to see somebody taking this issue to heart, because without reforming Ohio public education the proper way, Ohio will always be in a rut. Somebody needs to make some noise about this issue down in Columbus, and you may just be the guy.

I urge you not to take my former comments as an attack on you or your campaign. The facts just didn't add up to me, so I asked questions. My guess is that you weren't aware of this rogue canvasser. It seemed a bit too conspiratorial for my nature and I spoke in hypotheticals.

If education reform is your true issue, then you have my true backing. That is an issue deep to my heart. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you contact me at the above email address. We need to do something soon and fast with Ohio public education. The state constitution mandates a state funded system, and we don't have that. God bless and God speed. Good luck with your campaign.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, Thanks for giving mention to Mark Dansack. He is attempting to provide the citizens of the 46th District a choice. If he did not step up to become involved as a citizen candidate, voters in the district would have has an unopposed candidate for State Rep., one year after the whole Tom Noe debaccle broke.

As for Mark D.'s qualifications, he is more than qualified to be a representative of the people. Many of our finest State Reps. (who did accomplished alot for the TOledo Area (ie Barney Quilter) never even had a degree! You can have all of the formal education, but yet lack the common sense or independent streak to be an effective legislator. Keep working at it Mark. There are many Democrats in Western Lucas County that are appreciative of your efforts.