Thursday, August 10, 2006

Rib Off V Ribs by the River

We just returned from the Rib Off at the new location, the Lucas County Rec Center. Unfortunately I forgot the camera so no pictures. When you first approach it's not very appealing unless you are a fan of port-a-potties. It does appear they are planning on many visitors given the number of potties in a row.

The Vendors are placed in a similar manner as they are at the Ribs by the River, and there were tables and chairs available though I don't think there would be enough if it is busier than it was tonight. Similar to Ribs by the River the stage area for the band is set up in a grassy area so that you can sit on the grass or if you brought lawn chairs sit there to enjoy the music. You can also hear the music quite well from the rest of the area.

The atmosphere is not the same as the Ribs by the River though, that location is a nicer one as far as that aspect. There is no comparison to the River and the Fair Grounds. However, depsite the few who felt it would smell like animal poop? Nope, the overwhelming aroma was ribs and onion rings. Same as Ribs by the River.

One advantage to the Rib Off is the prices. Ribs by the River did not have the two bones for $3.00 samplers, the sampler plates there that we tried were three bones for $5.00. So from a cost factor the Rib Off is more rib for your buck. If it was very hot it would not be that comfortable since there is limited shade but the weather tonight made that not a factor.

Another advantage of the Rib Off is the Hot Waffle Ice Cream Sandwich and the dipped Cheescake on a stick...That was not available at the Ribs by the River and let me tell you, those two desert items? Replaced me wanting a funnel cake (which they also did have as well).

An advantage to the way the Ribs by the River was done was for non-alcholic beverages. You did not have to go thru the hassle of waiting in one line to buy tickets then another one to get a bottle of pop like the Rib Off requires. You merely went to the pop vendor and paid cash and received your bottle of pop. I understand the reason behind doing that for beer but it's really silly to do that with pop.

Thus ends the comparison, whichever Rib event you decide to go to next year or if you decide on both as we did - one thing both share is awesome food.

:-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there this afternoon and thought the new set-up was great. I parked on Key and walked right in through the side gate.

Today was free admission too so we could buy more food and we sure did. Ribs, ice cream, more ribs, fries. YUM!

I love the 2 bone samplers - I split each sample with my kid and that way we can try many different vendors.

I hope the new location doesn't keep people away - it is a great event. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure they were Micah - I didn't get to them but we are talking about going back Saturday so I'll have to try them.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Armadillo's was there. It was my favorite.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Lisa,

I too, ventured over to the Rib-Off, it was great! Sampled 9-10 of the out of town vendors and finished with a stop at Darryl's for some mint chocolate chip, to cleanse my palate ;-)

In some cases, the two bone sampler was actually 3 or even 4 ribs; on reason why we didn't get to sample ALL of the vendors. But then, we can always visit the locals, like we did Monday, getting a rack at Longhorn's :-)

I couldn't resist and had to blog about it too ;-)

Funny thing though, I didn't hardly notice the porta potties; as long as you don't need them and can't smell them. . .