Sunday, August 06, 2006

Some interesting articles from Toledo's alternative media

In getting caught up in my reading today, the first recommended article is this week's This Strikes Us at Sojourner's Truth. It is about the Voting Rights Act of 1965,

Jack Ford as always writes some interesting political commentary. This week he writes about several topics from an incident involving Toledo City Councilman Michael Ashford to the Point of Sale Ordinance, Ethics and Republican campaign tactics. While I'm not sure I agree on the Point of Sale Ordinance I do agree with the Former Mayor on the ethics issue. I'm also wondering what will be the end result of the situation with Michael Ashford...

The Toledo City Paper has a cover story on the retention pond in Sylvania that has been a hot topic of conversation for Sylvania residents.

Nicki Reamer at the Independent Collegian has a highly recommended article about future job losses in the merger between University of Toledo and MUO. If you aren't registered? It is well worth taking the time to be able to read this and other articles there.

So in addition to the Toledo Free Press, there are my recommended reads of the week.

:-)

I thought I included this article but I didn't, from The Toledo Journal a more detailed report on what happened when the Mayor was in North Toledo...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've read it for quite some time, even before it was available on the web. It does present a viewpoint that at times is not what we hear about. Having been at meetings that I felt went one way yet read in the media went another, I think we leave some of these same situations with a different perception. While you are entitled to your opinion Kate, I think the publication has value from an information standpoint.

Another advantage of what you are doing at Toledo Politicans...everyone has the ability to see what did happen.

:-)

Holly said...

Just read Mayor Finkbeiners article about the new model block. As a former resident of the Old North End (I lived near Bush and Erie) I can tell you that area is a mess! Alot of the things said in that article hit home very hard for me. We had every intention of staying there and raising our kids there, but as a white family in a majority african american neighborhood, we didn't have a chance. The drug problem is out of hand and landlords simply do not care and will not do anything about it. Theft is also a very bad thing where we lived. I was at my computer one night and heard a loud noise outside, I ran out the door just in time to see a person running away with my gutters/downspouts in tow. The final straw was a shooting in our front yard that landed shell casings on my bedroom window sill. I tried while I was there to make a difference, but no one else cared. That was why we left. Sadly, I don't hold much hope for Mayor Finbeiners speech, but if it changes one person or stops one crime, then it is worth what he is trying to do!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What I find most interesting about the Mayor's new model block idea/program is that how much of the printed word fails to materialize into action.

City crews to mow vacant lots?

It took me almost two months of complaints to the Neighborhoods Department, City Council Member for the area and the Mayor's office to get a vacant lot mowed behind the now vacant Rite Aid on Cherry Street.

There are two lots on Frederick Street that have weeds growing almost two feet tall and it is the same sound and dance with the departments involved.

More action from the city and less statements is what the city needs.

Anonymous said...

My article was edited immensely. There was quite a bit taken out and I wasn't very happy with the final result. It actually surprises me that it came highly recommended.