Not this, but this...Republicans and Democrats united, against Learn and Earn.
Learn and Earn's statement, as quoted in the Toledo Blade strikes me as ironic. The full press release is not up on their site yet:
"More than a few Ohioans must be wondering how much togetherness we can afford from these two politicians."
I realize what Learn and Earn is trying to "brand" now. The meme that all of these politicians are against poor Learn and Earn who just wants to give our children a college education. Of course the fact that it's only the top 5% that are guaranteed to get anything for 12 years is something not pointed out. They are finally mentioning slot machines.
Attacking Strickland when some of the people that are supposedly behind the creation of this are Democrats makes no sense. Not to mention it's more than just these two that oppose Learn and Earn. The list is rather large of Democrats and Republicans that are not in support. Which leads me to my largest concern. If somehow, someway this passes, it will require legislation from Ohio's House and Senate. If that gets mired down? Gambling still would happen and the language is not clear as to what would happen with the money that is supposed to be set aside for scholarships, or any of the financial promises that have been made. That is exactly why it was written that way, for all we know that's the hope, that they can fool the voters into passing this then? Let the Legislators battle it out, knowing no matter what they'll still get their slot machines. After all, they did an excellent job in getting people into signing petitions, and these gambling corporations do have more than enough to spend on an advertising campaign. That however is depressing to reflect on that voters would be that uniformed, it's as I said all along, it is the voters who are ultimately responsible and no matter what these petition signers tell you or don't tell you? If you are going to sign you should at least care enough to READ what you are agreeing to. If you don't have the time to read it? Don't sign it.
If you have not yet done so, I strongly urge you to read the all of the amendment language. To their credit, Learn and Earn has placed it on their front page, here is the pdf link where I would pay special attention to the Full Text of the Amendment that starts on page 3. That way no matter how you decide to vote? At least you will have all of the information, any promises made in commercials, podcasts, interviews don't mean squat. What matters is what is written that will be a part of the amendment.
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
7 comments:
Imagine that, an R and a D joining together for the benefit of the citizens. How quaint. How archaic. How nice.
I saw that DeWine was yelling, "Me TOO!" as he was chasig after the two of them.
Lisa Renee - for a different take, check out the PD's coverage of the event. Very different, I think, from the Blade's.
www.cleveland.com/plaindealer and search on "committee slots deceitful"- that should bring up the piece.
That was interesting Jill, the Plain Dealer seemed to focus more on the attacks on Voinovich and had very little about Strickland.
The Blade didn't even mention the name calling by Learn and Earn of the "cry baby senator".
If you didn't read the Blade article you'd think that Strickland's role in this was minor. I'd have to say I think Jim Tankersley did a much better job than Tom Breckenridge as far as providing information to the public.
You would have no idea if you read the Cleveland Plain Dealer that many other key Democrats and Republicans are against this as well.
Hmm - well - you make good points, Lisa Renee. I guess I've really not looked at this as a who is against it who supports it as in, which side of the aisle, because it seems to me to not be a partisan issue. Lance Mason thinks renewable energy might be such an issue in the state legislature.
And then you don't look so hard at where the opponents or proponents come from.
But...this might just be that I've been looking at it too narrowly.
Thanks for making me think harder.
While I don't really like slot machines, I don't believe them to be any more evil than say, the lottery, or the racetracks where the slot machines will be placed. I don't think there's anything wrong with somebody gambling in moderation, much like I don't believe there's anything wrong with somebody consuming alcohol in moderation.
Yeah, it's not cool that the OEL Amendment was quiet about the fact that the money was coming from slot machines at first, but I still think that it will be doing a very very good thing.
I had the opportunity to work as a petitioner for this amendment, and the more I worked with it, the more I liked it. I graduated second in my high school class and earned impressive test scores, and yet, I am still struggling to survive the great expenses of college. The cost of education will continue to rise as there are less federal monies and in turn, less state monies allocated for financial aid, so who ends up paying for education?
Ultimately, it's the kids.
If aid keeps decreasing, I wouldn't be surprised if it became cheaper for Ohio students to attend colleges out of state. Thus, we lose more bright individuals and the economy suffers.
Are we so afraid of a few hundred new gambling addicts that we would not help (even initially with only the top 5% of each high school graduating class receiving this aid) thousands of Ohio high school graduates in attending college? 1% of the revenues would also have gone toward gambling addiction services.
Of course there will be gambling addicts. They are there already, buying lottery tickets, betting on horse races, playing online poker, voyaging to exotic lands like Windsor and Las Vegas to get their "fix." They are in the minority. The majority of gamblers are not addicts, and are responsible and know their limits.
I fail to see how the scary threat of gambling outweighs the benefits of the OEL amendment. If you don't believe in gambling and it does pass (which, unfortunately, it most likely will not), your children don't have to accept the "dirty" aid. Let it go to somebody else.
Lisa,
Yes, the Learn & Earn campaign continues its deceptive advertising, probably in hopes of turning most voters into less than sharp listeners, before the real facts come to light. A wicked bunch of schemers these be.
As I understand it, L&E pays bribes to the top 5% of achievers, ignoring the rest and then only for 12 years, and for this they receive rights forever?
And, of course, more/different games and locations could be added at a later date, upon voter approval…
This whole thing stinks worse, the more I learn about it.
IMO, it would be better if Pandora’s box were to be left unopened, than Ohio give in to this cleverly crafted attempt to open it, and expand it endlessly.
I am afraid however that, without most political candidates raising their voices against it, we are doomed to a future of gambling the likes of which not even Las Vegas has ever seen. This for a few cheap vote-grabbing headlines that will fade within minutes of the polls closing. . .
Keep up the good work
» »
Post a Comment