Monday, July 24, 2006

Archives on Larry Kaczala

I realize the title linked Toledo Blade article is a few days old but after reading it I wanted to do some reading into the Toledo Blade archives. This part of the article is what immediately got my attention:

Mr. Kaczala, a Republican, dismissed the charges of exotic getaways leveled by Ms. Lopez, a Democrat. He claimed the matter had been discussed in previous campaigns and that keeping the 150 employees of the auditor's office trained and certified was the reason for any travel.

"If she ever thought of something original, I'd probably faint," he said. "This is old news."

It does appear from going back as far as 1997 that Mr. Kaczala has a flair for making "interesting" comments and it is probably true that it would be hard to come up with new accusations against him given even some fellow Republicans have taken a crack at Larry from time to time.

Here's a few that caught my attention as I read the archives:

Title: GOP COUNTY AUDITOR KACZALA CONTENT WITH HIS GOAL ... FOR THE TIME BEING
Author: FRITZ WENZEL BLADE STAFF WRITER
Date: June 22, 1997

As the only elected nonjudicial Republican officeholder in Lucas County, he has learned that humor is an important tool in his day-to-day dealings with Democrats, and a key to getting ahead.

``They know I watch the books,'' he said of the three Democratic county commissioners, who approve his office budget. ``And I make it abundantly clear I sign their checks. When I first was appointed, I hand-signed all their paychecks so that they knew.

``And we produce the paychecks alphabetically - auditor, board of county commissioners, etc., so if they don't approve my budget, you know, the computer breaks down'' before the paychecks get to the letter B. I can't hand-sign 4,000 checks,'' he says, with half a grin.

Mr. Kaczala says directly that he believes he does not need the local Republican Party to suceed in politics anymore, but he adds he does not run away from the party. ``Honestly, and I'm embarassed to admit it, but no, I don't. I pull for Republican candidates to get elected and do what I can,'' he said.

``If push comes to shove, and I'm at a festival and people say, `Are you Democrat or Republican?' I say `I'm Polish,' and I walk away,'' he said. ``People will let you go with that.''

Mr. Kaczala also understands the value of family and proved that value five years ago, when he donated a kidney to his elder sister, Sharon. Now, he jokes that it was the best move of his political career, half insisting that he had to do it because ``I'm elected, and if I didn't what would people say?''

(He does still list donating his kidney on his campaign website under "Personal Character" and does not list he is a Republican.)

Title: PENNYPACKER RIPS REPUBLICANS COUNTY AUDITOR KACZALA LABELS HIS ACCUSER A `PSYCHOPATH'
Author: FRITZ WENZEL BLADE STAFF WRITER
Date: January 13, 1998

She (Paula Pennypacker) wrote that Mr. Kaczala cast her aside in favor of political unknown Woody Adams for the 1993 GOP mayoral nomination. He denied the charge, saying: ``I have no idea why she would say anything like that. That woman's a psychopath if she believes that.''

Title: KACZALA, STAINBROOK TRADE CAMPAIGN FIRE AUDITOR, ASSISTANT ALLEGE MISMANAGEMENT
Author: FRITZ WENZEL BLADE STAFF WRITER
Date: March 21, 1998

Mr. Stainbrook alleged that Mr. Kaczala ``regularly used the elaborate county computer system and a significant amount of his time on this computer system in an attempt to break the weekly super lottery code. In addition, he also demonstrated this function to groups of county employees on county time.''

He contended that the auditor was using an attractive, simplified 16-page annual financial report of Lucas County finances, paid for by county money, as campaign literature. He said Mr. Kaczala is handing them out to constituents at campaign appearances.


(before you get excited...)

Mr. Stainbrook, who was among those who received a series of lottery numbers, said ``they didn't work.'' Mr. Kaczala acknowledged the numbers were nothing more than a novelty.

(Kaczala also stated he did not use county computers to develop this and accused Jon Stainbrook of using county computers for campaign related usage)

Title: PATRONAGE RUNS HIRING BY KACZALA COUNTY AUDITOR'S STAFF BUILT WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS
Author: CHRIS OSHER BLADE STAFF WRITER
Date: April 12, 1998

(Where I catch an oops in the long list of those hired and their connection to Larry.)

In 1995, Mr. Kaczala hired his own brother, Gary, when he needed work, but the brother quit after his first day.

``We both sat down at the end of the day and said, `This doesn't look good; let's not do this,''' Mr. Kaczala recalled.

It's a fourth-degree felony in Ohio for public officials to hire family members, or business associates, said David Freel, executive director of the Ohio Ethics Commission.

Violations can carry up to 18 months in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

It appears Mr. Kaczala has not violated the state law because he has not hired members of his immediate family.
(Oops.. Article stated he hired his brother, good thing it was only for one day.)

Title: AUDITOR'S WORKERS GET $24K FOR TUITION
Author: DALE EMCH
BLADE STAFF WRITER
Date: September 16, 2003

At a time when the county budget is facing a possible $4.4 million deficit, Auditor Larry Kaczala has paid more than $24,000 for the tuition of eight staff members in the last two years. Almost one-third has gone to Keith Fournier, head of information services, who is working on a masters in business administration at Heidelberg College.

Will Anita come up with something that will make Larry faint? I guess time will tell. :-)

3 comments:

liberal_dem said...

For the life of me, I cannot figure why Anita Lopez was unhappy with her present job as County Recorder and needed to run for Auditor.

I'd imagine that the two jobs pay nearly the same salary and I'd guess that both consume about the same amount of time.

Why did she run?

Unknown said...

I had to search but it appears the pay is similar:

The recorder is paid $63,195

I don't know why she decided to run, that is one of the questions I would ask her when we get a chance to meet more indepth. I believe the Auditor's department has a larger number of staff. Perhaps she decided to run when she thought Kaczala was going to go for Judge.

She states on her campaign site:

I believe I can do a better job than the current leadership! I have several reasons for entering this race. First, I believe the citizens of Lucas County deserve an Auditor who has created an internal system of checks and balances to guard against fraud. Second, the Lucas County Auditor should be at the service of residents and businesses, something that I have demonstrated as Lucas County Recorder. Finally, as Lucas County Auditor, I will not be afraid to make changes and challenge the status quo.

liberal_dem said...

I wonder if 'reason' #4 was that someone at Democratic Headquarters wanted an all-Democratic Lucas County Government.