Thursday, July 27, 2006

Jill's mad but what makes me madder....

There will be four candidates to select from on your ballot this year when making your choice for Governor. However from the media you will most likely not know this. Why? Because we allow the two main parties to have the focus and make the rules.

Two of these candidates jumped thru higher hoops as far as signature requirements to even get on the ballot for you to have the chance to vote for them. But you won't know that either...

Neither the Democratic Party or the Republican Party wants you to realize you have another option. I'm not telling you that I think you should vote for either Bill Peirce or Bob Fitrakis, but what I am telling you is that they are out there and they deserve to be included. It should be up to you as the voters in Ohio to decide not the media and not the two majority political parties to decide you as voters do not have the right to hear them in an equal fashion.

So while you are out there blogging about how you think Blackwell and Strickland should really "debate" I'd also suggest that you demand that ALL of the candidates who earned a spot on the ballot be included. That after all is what democracy should be about.

I'd also point out to those of you who seem to believe this two party system is the way it has "always" been:

I have already intimated to you the danger of parties in the State, with particular reference to the founding of them on geographical discriminations. Let me now take a more comprehensive view, and warn you in the most solemn manner against the baneful effects of the spirit of party generally.

This spirit, unfortunately, is inseparable from our nature, having its root in the strongest passions of the human mind. It exists under different shapes in all governments, more or less stifled, controlled, or repressed; but, in those of the popular form, it is seen in its greatest rankness, and is truly their worst enemy.

The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries which result gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of public liberty.

No, I'm probably not a good "Democrat" however I do consider myself a good "American".

14 comments:

Jill said...

Thanks for this post, Lisa Renee.

I've never understood why anyone would WANT to be a sole leader, even with a cabinet and a legislature and a judicial branch. I don't like the idea of such power being assumed or foisted on one person, or one entity, and I never have. People tell me it's just a desire for power and control and honestly, I don't get that either - there are so many ways to be "powerful" or exert "control" - why is it that so many people think that the only form to achieve either of those things is by concentrating it in one place?

Anyway, the only comment I have from the devil's advocate side is the instability the world sees in coalition governments, when several factions are all represented in the government at one time. For example, Italy and Israel come to mind immediately, but I know there are others.

What would you suggest are examples of governments, of nations of a size anywhere near the U.S., that have governments that represent a broader spectrum and less concentration of power in one side's perspective?

Unknown said...

Jill - I don't know how we could get back to what the Founding Fathers initially saw for our nation when it came to political parties. I used to think if a third party or if more Independents were elected to office it would end some of the balance of power issues and create a situation where compromise had to be the focus rather than merely whoever had the largest number of "that" party getting things thru. Yet how can third party candidates or Independents even get the same media coverage or something that should be simple such as being included in a debate given the present system is run by both parties. Who naturally have a self protected interest in keeping it that way.

Historically what will probably happen is eventually one of the parties will implode and another one will rise up to take it's place. Or we the people will start demanding that we want these other candidates to be included, we want to hear about them.

We don't have to end up with numerous factions...but we could encourage at least more choice.

:-)

Jill said...

More choice would be a good thing. Reason - I would just like to see the people running and elected for office inject some REASON and common sense that gives voice to the incredible range of people that live here and contribute here.

Sheesh, it's unbelievable to think about how long it's been since we've heard our leaders speak with reason.

Unknown said...

I agree, I want less "fear this" and more reason too.

:-)

Unknown said...

Good post on Unity08 btw.

:-)

Jill said...

Why thanks. :) I appreciate that on yet another day I didn't take your advice and ignore. I always think I can make things better. Talk about being delusional and lacking common sense.

Unknown said...

Well, I'm a hypocrite at times which I openly admit - great at giving advice but not even following it for myself.

:-)

Unknown said...

Brian there has not always been the current two party system.

Brief History that might interest you.

The level of power held by the two political parties has grown thru the years. Being a fan of George Washington and his writings, in my opinion he had some valid warnings. Nor am I suggesting a specific third party. I am suggesting that if we are going to allow candidates to go thru a process to get on a ballot to run as an "Other Party" that they be given the same access to us, the public. People are allowed to vote issue only during the primary elections if they do not want to declare for D or R - so we do acknowledge in Ohio the ability to be an Independent.

Unknown said...

An additional link without a writer's interpretation about Republicans...

This one is a good one.

:-)

Maggie said...

People tell me it's just a desire for power and control and honestly, I don't get that either - there are so many ways to be "powerful" or exert "control" - why is it that so many people think that the only form to achieve either of those things is by concentrating it in one place?

Nicely said!!!

But I also must agree with Brian about the fringe ends of the third parties...so often they have a lot of good ideas, but some that are on the fringe - and it seems those "fringe" ideas are the ones in which people have such strong beliefs that they'll reject all others because they reject those 'fringe' ones.

I really like Peirce's ideas and would love to have him part of the debates - yes, this coming from a Republican!

liberal_dem said...

This coming from a Democrat...

I have been both proud and disgusted with the Democrat Party in my lifetime. Disgusted when it was taken over by the Dixiecrats/George Wallace faction which was the closest thing to the KKK that my party ever drifted that way. I am equally disappointed with some who work to maintain complete control of the party and exclude fresh, new ideas.

I've been proud of my party on its stance against the Vietnam War, on supporting Medicare, Civil Rights, the UN, Affrimative Action, the minimum wage, workers' rights, Social Security, and the rights of women.

One of the problems with the Democratic Party, which is also one of its strengths, is its diversity. So many people living on the social and economic edge of our society vote Democratic along with a great many who enjoy the full fruits and social graces of this same society.

A true rainbow of colors glow at the national conventions. Catholics, mainline Christian churches, Jews,Buddhists, and a potpourri of other religious persuasions pepper this gathering.

Farm workers, farmers, teachers, doctors, college professors, longshoremen, auto workers, lawyers, social workers, truck drivers all call this party home.

To me the Democratic Party is that melting pot of which poets speak and I find myself very much enjoying this stew of people.

Maggie said...

funny - LD - I have the same impression of the GOP in terms of the people who are members.

Wonder where that leaves both of us?

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Lisa,
I enjoyed looking these words up and refreshing my idea of their meaning in the context if which they were used.

despotism
faction
usurpation

I was also particularly taken by these excerpts:

“…love of power, and proneness to abuse it, which predominates in the human heart…”

“But let there be no change by usurpation; for though this, in one instance, may be the instrument of good, it is the customary weapon by which free governments are destroyed.”

“Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports.”

“…avoiding likewise the accumulation of debt…”

“…not ungenerously throwing upon posterity the burden which we ourselves ought to bear.”

“…to moderate the fury of party spirit…”

But, I realized that they are diluted and somewhat meaningless, when taken out of the full context.


George was spot-on in so many ways that one has to marvel at his wisdom and foresight. . .

Unknown said...

Link to when Bill Peirce was on WSPD.

All four Gubernatorial candidate campaign sites are listed on my side bar for more information on appearances, etc.

:-)