Friday, July 14, 2006

Me on WSPD

Maggie Thurber will be guest hosting this coming Monday for Brian Wilson. She's asked me to come on to talk about my blogs and blogging in general especially how it relates to encouraging political involvement and the role of blogs as an alternative news source. It should be a great time so I hope you tune in, I should be on a little after 3:30 p.m. on Monday. For those of you who can't get WSPD via radio they do offer streaming audio. A big thank you to Maggie for inviting me.

For those of you who have listened to me on the Nookular Option; I promise to watch how many times I say exactly...

:-)

22 comments:

Brian Maxson said...

Finally, a reason to listen to WSPD.

What's that phone number to get on the air?

Is a 96 hour notice enough to inform the public interest in listening to WSPD again for 3 hours?

:)

Maggie said...

Lisa - I'm excited about guest hosting and also having you as my first guest.

I've been a fan of Glass City Jungle since I first started in on the blogging scene and think you do a good job of highlighting issues others in the area and MSM seem to overlook.

I also think you do a terrific job in being fair to all.

Brian - since I've been practicing...866-321-1370 toll free...

Jeffrey Smith said...

Hey, exactly isn't that bad. At least you're not the average professor. Cut out "uh" and you cut class time in half.

Scott said...

"The Three Amigos".

Unknown said...

Brian, I do appreciate the effort you have made in communication both here on other local blogs. I recognize and appreciate all of those who reach out to engage bloggers. One of my main goals is to encourage blog reading and other people to blog, that will never change.

:-)

historymike said...

Go Maggie! Go Lisa!

And yes, the administration has most definitely become aware of the power of bloggery, and Brian (and other officials) have been getting the message out in the blogosphere.

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog - thanks to your WSPD appearance with Maggie Thurber.
Nicely done - and I enjoyed your conversation with Ms Thurber.
Note to BrianInVero: You're an ignorant twit. WSPD has done more for Toledo in the last 6 months than any other media source has done in years.
I checked you out. What have YOU done for anyone other than make smartass comments. You're a waste of planet space.
Thanks to Brian Wilson, WSPD Program Director for putting Maggie on!
DWylly

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by DWylly, though I don't agree with you that Brian is a twit...I think Maggie's doing an excellent job today as well and thank you for your compliments.

I think other media sources have done and continue to do a good job at providing information too, but WSPD does provide similar opportunity to blogging for people to voice their opinions and ideas. That is important.

Brian Maxson said...

Dwylly?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Considering the source of that grand depth of intellect, I'll sleep soundly tonight knowing you're still trying to figure out how to turn a doorknob.

WSPD has failed in it's endeavour to program that transmitter outpost to provide entertainment worthy of my listening. Besides, I'm finding more information about Toledo's goings-on by reading local blogs than that Clear Channel money drain. I'm sure Brian is grateful the one listener WSPD has on it's normal schedule found Lisa's blog. Pissed Brian is not on air, are ya?



Lisa, thank you for standing up for my character, you rock!

Will you provide a clip of your presence on Maggie's show? I was kinda caught late at Disney and got home after your stint.

Unknown said...

Sorry Brian, unless someone else recorded I realized too late that WSPD doesn't podcast. I'm spoiled with being on Nookular Option and knowing the podcast will be up later.

I'm sure Brian Wilson has more than one listener.

Brian Maxson said...

Dwylly said:

What have YOU done for anyone other than make smartass comments.

Tell ya what, bubba, I brought a item to the table that would have helped out a quadruple-bypassed Mayor Finkbeiner while covering his political ass shovelling sand on Crawford St, something you'd think one of his employees looking out for his best interest and health would present,for less than $50.

Go Bagger!

Anonymous said...

"I brought a item to the table that would have helped out a quadruple-bypassed Mayor Finkbeiner while covering his political ass shovelling sand on Crawford St, something you'd think one of his employees looking out for his best interest and health would present,for less than $50."

Big whoop.
WSPD can be signuarly credited with bringing Toledo utility prices
by focusing on Columbia gas bills et al back with their Town Hall meeting back in January.
Costco/Westgate can thank WSPD for keeping the heat on our egomaniac mayor to the point he finally sat down and shut up.
Who would have known about the $10K shower if not for WSPD breaking the story first?
And Da Mayor's $600K bike path would probably be under construction is it wasn't for Fred, Brian and Kevin blowing the whistle over and over.
And you "brought a item to the table"? Hell, your grammar/English isn't even correct - bubba.
And since you know so little about the Real World, it was Brian Wilson - as Program Director - who chose and authorized Ms Thurber to guest host this afternoon - something for which she didn't bother to mention when thanking everyone else at the end of the show.
For all the good WSPD has done this year, you and your "friends" are damn snotty, unappreciative and ignorant.
I hope others are able to post more productive messages than someone trying to sell his :life saving" plastic toys.

Unknown said...

Actually it was stated that Kevin Milliken while still at 24 broke the story of the Mayor's shower, at least from what I had been told.

The bike path WSPD did cover almost to the point of not covering anything else. However, the area residents that did not want the bike path also deserve some credit.

The utility roundtable that Columbia Gas refused to attend had value, however Toledo Free Press was the one who had the exclusive interview with Columbia Gas.

It's obvious you are a major fan of WSPD DWylly, and that's fine, my husband listens all day as well though for him he still misses Bob Frantz. They do at times perform a great service to the public as far as information but other local media sources also do too.

I enjoyed Maggie's show, I'm glad she filled in for Brian, I don't listen as much as I used to but I do try to tune in to listen to Eye on Toledo on a regular basis. It doesn't make any of us right or wrong, it's a matter of personal preference.

I'm sure WSPD and Brian Wilson appreciate your support, however not everyone in this area feels that way about Brian's or Fred's show. Some of them never liked WSPD at all and others like my husband still listen but are not that happy with it and then there are those like you who seem to prefer things the way they are now.

The ratings and advertisers will end up being the final judges on that one.

Anonymous said...

"The ratings and advertisers will end up being the final judges on that one."

You're certainly right about that. Those who see WSPD in such a dim light might be upset to know that the ratings are doing quite nicely - according to my neighbor in the advertising business. He tells me the station overall is #3 in Toledo and has a broader audience than it did a year ago. While some segments of the audience have dropped, others have grown to replace them. I haven't seen nor do I understand the ratings system but if WSPD's status was that awful, he'd say so.
It's interesting you and so many others are so reluctant to give WSPD any credit whatsoever for the good things it continues to do. So the Toledo Free Press got an interview with the president of Columbia Gas. I still have that copy. TFP just gave CG a platform to say nothing that cleared the air or offered any solid explanations - just the same rhetoric the Blade had. WSPD not only broadcast a "town hall meeting" that everyone except CG attended (including the head of PUCO), they also posted a form letter on their web site for listeners to send to PUCO members about the rate problem. TFP carried the interview - after WSPD raised enough public awareness ti nake it an issue. The paper did nothing to help solve the problem or even ask some hard questions. Which would you rather have: media that helps solve problems or media that reports problems?
As a Toledo resident, I've been waiting and hoping for some media entity to take the lead in helping us solve the overwhelming problems we have here - not just write opinion pieces on blog or web sites that do little more than make other readers happy but do damn little if anything to bring about change. Maggie Thurber - despite her Noe connection - seems an hororable person but is consistantly out voted. And now, thanks to the Noe scandal, is being forced to not run for re-election. So much for any integrity on the Lucas County Commission. I certainly doubt there will be much more than oh-so-insightful comments coming from the Toledo blogosphere. Meanwhile, here is the #3 radio station in town putting it on the line for everyone in the Toledo area - and the best you can do is parse their efforts. And not very accurately at that.
Not everyone likes Brian and Fred's shows? Who promised perfection? Are the only worthwhile people those who exactly mirror your skewed perceptions and political preferences? What I hear coming
out of my radio are 3 people who are more "passionate" than the current mayor for getting things right in Toledo so we can all enjoy the potential we have yet to realize here.
What I hear from you and at least one other poster is since WSPD personalities somehow offend you personally or politically, the best you can give is a grudging token recognition of what they've accomplished. Personally, I doubt the Southbeach residents would have been victorious blocking the bike path without all the coverage WSPD gave it. In looking over your blog site, I don't see much discussion about it or any references encouraging Toledo residents to examin the idea of spending $600,000 on something only Finkbeiner and a few of his neighbors wanted.
Maybe the people who have this problem with WSPD and the hosts are jealous they haven't been able to get half as much accomplished for Toledo despite all their snippy rhetoric. As noted, I'm glad someone has finally stood up to the political bullies as well as the apathetic elitists I see represented here.

Unknown said...

Well, that's probably the first time I've been called an apathetic elitist - I didn't cover the bike path issue in great detail but not quite for the reasons you may think. I don't believe in over saturation of discussion. Toledo Talk had a very active discussion on it as well as several other local blogs. So since there were other bloggers covering that angle I did not. That way the discussion is focused on one or two blogs rather than scattered.

Rather than to continue to be so confrontational with me, my point is not to diss WSPD but to point out that there are other media sources as well in this area that do a good job. People are allowed the freedom of preference. You've made it very clear you prefer WSPD as is. That doesn't mean anyone who doesn't agree with you are apathetic elitists or that we don't manage to stand up to political bullies on our own.

As for your friend's report on the ratings? This morning's Blade:

WSPD's ratings have dropped since the departure of Schaffer and morning host Bob Frantz. WVKS-FM (92.5), where Schaffer spent more than a decade as morning host, has struggled mightily since his departure in 2003.

This shows WSPD is not in third but has dropped.

I'm not going to insult you, if you prefer WSPD more power to you. People who don't? Don't. If you want to believe that WSPD has been the savior of the Toledo area? More power to you on that one as well, however I don't happen to agree with all of your statements.

Thanks again for visiting.

:-)

Brian Maxson said...

Dwylly,

Good job talking to a brick wall, I read nothing you posted.

Lisa pretty much summed it up.

You can't even get your facts straight if Lisa is correcting you, genius.

Good luck with that doorknob issue you have.

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

While you make good points, it must be noted that you are quoting the ratings info from Russ Lemmon's column, and he is not a reporter, but a columnist expressing opinions.

While Lemmon declares the ratings have dropped -- it doesn't mean WSPD still isn't a solid #3 in the market. They are. What he's saying is that the number of people listening has dropped -- it did in the last book for all Toledo radio stations. That means that K100's ratings "dropped" (to use Russ Lemmon's language), although they're still number 1.

Ratings involve so-called "demos" -- meaning 12+, 18+, 18-34, 25-54, etc. (all valid segments of ratings. WSPD was number 1 in some demos. And with talk stations, the so-called Time Spent Listening (TSL) is more important than the ratings.

It works like this -- if you have a dedicated group of people listening for a long time, they'll hear your commercial more often than a group that just tunes in and out for 15 minute segments (cume -- the highest number of listeners, i.e. Russ's "ratings.") So, advertisers benefit from having their commercial heard over and over, which means more retention, which means more possible customers.

I'll end the lesson now. But suffice it to say it's not always wise to take a columnist's word as fact -- same would go for taking the opinion of a talk show host as fact. They're both opinions.

Unknown said...

That is also why I listed the link to Radio Daily News. I agree with you that taking just one source as a fact is not a good idea. If I can find an alternative confirmation especially when it comes to stats/ratings I try to provide it.

That's a lesson I learned quite some time ago.

:-)

Anonymous said...

"Good job talking to a brick wall, I read nothing you posted."

Thanks for the perfect microcosm of your basic problem: You know nothing about what you witlessly write and prove your ignorance.
How sad.
I'm not being rude; you're just insignificant.

Anonymous said...

Lisa
"If you want to believe that WSPD has been the savior of the Toledo area? More power to you on that one as well, however I don't happen to agree with all of your statements."

If what I've read here and on other blogs is correct as to identity, you sang a different tune when someone else hosted the WSPD AM show. You couldn't get enough smiley faces posted back then. It isn't just your husband who liked WSPD. What one has to conclude is you were offended that your hero was terminated. so you'll diss whatever WSPD does to improve life here.

"Anonymous" has it exactly correct on the ratings. Your "link" shows only "12+ numbers". According to my neighbor, "These mean slightly more than nothing. No one buys according to these ratings anymore. These are what we call "ego numbers". It's the age/sex ratings that drive ad sales. In that area, WSPD is anywhere between #1 and #4. Their PM drive ratings - #1 in two male categories - are the best you can get in Toledo."
This guy's a pro in the ad business. Objectively, WSPD is doing way better than you appear willing to acknowledge. It would also appear your reluctance is more do to the absence of a former host, a purely subjective opinion rather than an intelligent analysis of fact.

You wrote:
"I didn't cover the bike path issue in great detail but not quite for the reasons you may think. I don't believe in over saturation of discussion."

Fine - it's obviously your blog and you can run it any way you wish. However, it is somwehere between disengenous and ignorant to think that *under saturation* of discussion leads to substantive change. At best, you relectantly give WSPD lip service credit for leading the charge against the bike path. The Blade and the TV stations were late to the party AFTER WSPD focused on the issue. Finkbeiner's town hall comments about Fred Lefevbre's "lying" and threatening to call and intimidate WSPD advertisers came solely as a result of the radio coverage but it ultimately lead to public opinion against Finkbeiner and the $600K taxpayer funded project.

"The bike path WSPD did cover almost to the point of not covering anything else."
OK - Then:
How else would it have been defeated? The Blade covered it once - until it was "withdrawn" - because "upon further review" it was a bad idea.

Question: Do you think $600K for this bike path where the majority didn't want it was a good or bad idea? Should it have been defeated? Or should Finkbeiner have gotten his way?

The "other media" you brag about did little to nothing to defeat the stupid fiscal trick. How responsible is that? And yet you diss WPSD with comments like:
"The bike path WSPD did cover almost to the point of not covering anything else."
What's wrong with that? It got the job done, didn't it?
Or did you think it was a great idea? Or is "heavy lifting" beneath your blogging dignity? Or did WSPD beat you to the punch and, of course, you couldn't possibly side with Them!

Blogs may serve a growing but still miniature purpose in the comparatively tiny world of "alternative media". But when it comes to getting the attention of the people who make it happen (or not), it's still the purview of Talk radio. And in Toldeo - whether you like it or not - WSPD is the go-to station.

I don't expect you to agree and it bothers me not. WSPD is not God's gift to broadcasting. But they have gotten this and a host of other jobs done in a very short period of time.

And not a word about priests and sexual abuse either.

Here's two questions to ponder: Ratings aside, who has the greater audience: your blog or WSPD?
Which media entity has accomplished more since Jan 1: all the Toledo area blogs together or WSPD?

Hint: Before Maggie Thurber's excellent adventure, I, my neighbors and associates at work never heard of you or your blog - nor have we heard it mentioned or referenced in any other venue.

That's not a slam. It's just putting things into a proper perspective.

Brian Maxson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Lisa,

Sorry for the late post.

Only because you and Maggie were on, I listened to Brian's show, sans Brian.

Maggie, you done guud.

Lisa, you done guud too.

Ya both done guud, reel guud.

:-]