Sunday, July 23, 2006

Democratic Reunion coming...

July 29th is the day most Democratic Party organizations are holding the "Democratic Reunion". Here in Lucas County it will take place at Democratic Headquarters, 6-8pm.

You are supposed to sign up on line at Democrats.org but it's a little tricky to find the link on how to sign up.

If you visit here you'll see a box where you can enter your zip code. Once you do that then you'll see the Lucas County event listed. You can either view details or select sign up.

Flyers for this event were handed out at the opening of Strickland's Lucas County Headquarters but I haven't read much on else on the event. Soooo all you Democrats out there...sign up!

:-)

Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on the local Democrats when it comes to updating their site since it appears the Ohio Democratic site needs some updated information on our county as well.

9 comments:

liberal_dem said...

The blue flier is attached to the front door of Strickland's Headquarters.

It invites people to meet the "endorsed" Democrats.

Unity?

Unknown said...

You know the reasoning from the Party on that would be that those who are running against the "endorsed" candidates are the ones who are not interested in unity.

Even though I understand why both are running I think they realize what the risks of running against an endorsed candidate can be.

liberal_dem said...

You know the reasoning from the Party on that would be that those who are running against the "endorsed" candidates are the ones who are not interested in unity.

Lisa, obviously you have been reading some book by Karl Rove.

;)

Unknown said...

Yeah I have been accused of that before - :-)

Take what's happening in CT as an example - Lieberman could very well run as an independent if he does not win the primary. Now will the Democrat establishment support him? Some are not - his years of service are not going to matter if he loses he's supposed to just take it for the good of the party. Then there are those who will continue to support him.

What's happening here is a smaller scale version of that. I can see the position that it creates a situation where the vote is split and negates the importance of an endorsement. I can also see the problems in the endorsement process that created the situation where both Bob and Joe decided to run anyway.

There are always going to be people that are not going to get an endorsement, so do you just declare a free for all and whoever runs runs? Does the party withhold it's support and assistance to all candidates to make it fair? Do you work to change what you don't like in the system or do you just say screw the system?

I don't know what the right answer is, I do know that it's obvious that the Democratic party as a whole is going to have to decide how to deal with this - and it's going to take both sides to pull that off.

liberal_dem said...

and it's going to take both sides to pull that off.

Correct. Then, I would suppose that one side or another ought to offer an olive branch. And, as the LCDP is having the event, an invitation should have gone out to ALL Democrats to meet.

I wonder if Bob or Joe received such. Further, were Ashford, Szollosi, Grachek, Craig, Copeland, and Brown specifically invited?

Unknown said...

Frank stops by from time to time so maybe we can find out if he was invited. I don't know if they even issues invitations to candidates let alone elected officials or not.

Frank Szollosi said...

I got that blue flyer in the mail the other day. The Democratic Reunion events are being pushed by the DNC and state parties across the country with the hope of having everyone who attends commit to contacting and delivering 100 voters in the last 100 days before 11/7. We simply have to elect Strickland and the state Democratic ticket this year - the local situation won't be effected by 7/29.

Unknown said...

Thanks Frank..

:-)

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Lisa,
The word on the street is that the Toledo Police Department was marshalling forces, putting on extra officers, to handle the expected traffic problems created by the democratic reunion.

And, yes, that was skepticism, with a dash of sarcasm, for flavor ;-)