Friday, July 07, 2006

Strickland Lucas County Headquarters Opening Event



It didn't look like we were going to be able to attend because we are moving tomorrow but we took a break and headed downtown to be there for the Strickland/Brown Lucas County Campaign Headquarters opening. My husband, Miguel, took the pictures for the loop that is above. Yes, there are a few of me in there and a few of my youngest daughter with Ben Konop and the Mayor.

Quite a few people turned out, politicians, candidates and democratic supporters. I had a chance to meet Lourdes Santiago, Anita Lopez, Darlene Fisher and Taylor Balderas for the first time in person. I re-met the Mayor and greeted some that I do know, Ben Konop, Alan Konop, Jim Nusbaum, Peter Ujvagi and Karen Shanahan. A few others that I saw but didn't get a chance to talk to, Judge Osowik, Bob Vasquez, Edna Brown, Teresa Fedor, Wade Kapszukiewicz and Mark Sobzac. I'm sure I missed listing a few others that were present so my apologies for not listing you.

Mayor Finkbeiner gave a speech that was heavy on the unity message. He loudly stated it was time to "Bury the A team and Bury the B team", that the majority of the public was tired of the division and that it was time to unite to help elect Ted Strickland and then the next President of the United States. Ted Strickland though running a bit late received a very warm welcome and focused on Jobs, the cost of College Education, Elementary Education and the minimum wage.

According to a few people I talked with the turnout was larger than expected and most that were present were vocally supportive. Lots of Strickland T-shirts and stickers in the crowd, followed by Konop t-shirts and stickers, Anita Loopez t-shirts and Jim Nusbaum stickers. My youngest proudly donned the Ben Konop sticker first then a Strickland sticker a Sherrod Brown pin and a Jim Nusbaum sticker, those four are the "Aubrey approved" candidates. A warm thank you to those in attendance who talked to her, especially one kind gentleman who overheard her state that she wanted to be governor one day and gave her some advice on how to start planning for a life in politics. I think I have some competition on covering political events when she gets a bit older...Except for when she asked if Ken Blackwell was going to show up. That got some chuckles from those around us. I didn't get a chance to meet Ted Strickland in person, he was of course the person many wanted to meet but I am glad that I went and you can look forward to some future interviews with a few of those that I met tonight who have agreed to be featured on this blog.

I have some future interviews with some Republican candidates coming up as well. More details on the interviews in the very near future.

:-)

10 comments:

Jeffrey Smith said...

That photostream thingummy is amazing. I've seen that sort of treatment in a few virtual tours on church websites but I hadn't seen it on a blog before. Right on the cutting edge.

liberal_dem said...

To use the photostream one has to download and register it. Hmmm.

Nice coverage of the event. I was in some of the photostream, I think, although I did not download it, and viewed only the thumnail.

Frankly, I don't think Strickland's presentation is very good; he's too preachy. And his blue blazer has to go.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jeffrey but it's Photo Bucket that is cutting edge - I have used them to store photos for quite some time. When I saw they had the loop I decided to try it.

You do have to download part of it LD but it is really easy to do - you just select the photos you want then click create stream and then get what type of URL/format you need to put it on blogger.

When I do finally get to meet you (now that you know what I look like) I'll be able to say YES that is you in the photo.

I didn't think his speech was that bad, but then I have not attended a lot of rallies in quite some time to compare it. We were on the side of the crowd towards the Spagetti Warehouse so I didn't get a good look at his jacket.



:-)

liberal_dem said...

Our visual identities remain cloaked as I did not download any of the photos.

Frank Szollosi said...

missed ya, Lisa Renee. Lucas & I got there when Ted did and left soon after his speech.

Unknown said...

Frank, I'm sorry I missed a chance to meet Lucas and to see you again. Mark Dansack was there and I didn't see him either, he was probably announced but it was hard to hear the sound system at times from where we were.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Judging from the crowd, it was a very good turn out!

Nice to finally see you and your daughter, when do we get to see a picture of Miguel without the ball cap and the shades?

If Miguel goes to a similar republican function, will you photograph and stream him???

I'm not trying to insuate that Miguel is either "d" or "r," I'm just stirring the pot...

:-)

Unknown said...

Miguel is rarely without a hat, though sometimes without the shades. He has always been a hat person even before he made the decision a few years ago to go for a shorter hair cut. Thinking about it, I think the only pictures I have of him minus the hat were our wedding pictures...

If he wanted to, I'd go with him, after all I loved him enough to try to sit thru a Glenn Beck show so a political rally has to be easier to get thru than that one was for me.

(He laughed when I read your comment to him and said to send you his best wishes HT)

:-)

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Lisa,

And a "Hey Miguel" back at ya!

Was sitting through the Glenn Beck show really that bad?

I went last Christmas (sat on the aisle {Right Side, of course ;-)} first row, and enjoyed myself immensely!

;-)

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

INSINUATE!

It's spelled insinuate...