Saturday, July 29, 2006

Lucas County Democratic Reunion event

Photos up at the title link. In reverse order unfortunately since I haven't figured out all of the "tricks" with Flickr and I know some of you had problems with photobucket.

I thought it was a great turnout, especially given the heat, I'd guess well over 200 maybe more. Talked to quite a few people, didn't get a chance to speak with everyone I would have liked to. As one example, missed a chance to meet Chris Redfern. I also missed a chance to talk with Mark Dansack...I spotted him but we missed connecting. If you think Don and I have fun when I'm either a guest or a caller on Nookular Option, we have even more fun in person. :-)

Joe McNamara was the first person we saw, he arrived the same time we did so Aubrey took the opportunity to get stickered and have her picture taken with Joe. I enjoyed a cookie...okay two cookies I had one later...they were awesome...Jim Nusbaum beat Ben in the contest of which one will give Aubrey a sticker first...She's becoming quite the sticker collector at these events. She's also starting on her t-shirt collection, a Ted Strickland shirt and one from Joe.

Candidates/Officials I spotted: Joe McNamara, Jim Nusbaum, Lourdes Santiago, Anita Lopez, Ben Konop, Edna Brown, Wilma Brown, Carty Finkbeiner, Teresa Fedor, Matt Szollosi, Mark Dansak, Peter Ujvagi, Judge Arlene Singer, Judge Thomas Osowik, Darlene Fisher and Robert Torres. I'm sure I missed mentioning a few but those are the ones I know by appearance. I also met John Irish who is taking my picking on the Lucas County Dem's website in stride. He stated they could really use someone to help with that aspect so any Dems out there with webpaging knowledge, especially some of you Young Dems, sounds like they could use a hand. Another favorite person of mine, Kevin Cooper was there, we had a brief chat. Ben Krompack had time for a brief hug and a few words...Anita Lopez and I had a brief moment of mutal admiration for our patriotic clothing choices. Then of course many more people who I met for the first time tonight and had a blast talking with.

Ted Strickland could not be there but he did phone in and was on the loudspeaker. Carty was very passionate in his address to the crowd though Chris Redfern did a great job in getting everyone pumped.

I think a huge thank you is in order to all of the volunteers because they worked very hard and it had to have been not fun given the temperature today. However to quote one of the volunteers "It could have been worse, it could have rained". I hope everyone that attended had as much fun as I did. As always a big thank you to my wonderful husband who takes such fantastic photos for me. While he disagrees with me politically at times he has been a huge supporter and what I do would not be possible without him.

10 comments:

liberal_dem said...

So Strickland wasn't able to attend. A funeral? His child in the ER? A swift onset of diarrhea?

My, my, missing Lucas County's unity event?

Curious.

Unknown said...

Something much more nefarious...another unity event I think near Columbus.

:-)

Mark said...

Lisa Renee,

Sorry I missed you. I was chasing down one of my two daughters much of the time until they wilted in the heat and my wife took them to the (air-conditioned) car.

I would have liked to talk with you and I appreciate the fact that you are willing to give up your Sat. evening to give the event some publicity.

I'm hoping that Ken Blackwell and the GOP failures of the last 12-16 years will provide all the unity we need for a new Ohio.

See you next time?

Mark

Unknown said...

Mark, that is an agreed plan.

Even if we have to start waving from one end of the crowd to the other.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Well thank you;
I have to admit even though our political views don't see eye to eye, you and I can still have a good time together. As far as the photos go, don't worry my fees aren't too high "wink wink". No but seriously I am both glad and honored to be your personal photographer, and who knows maybe someday I'll be an actual pro... right :). But nonetheless I love you and will always love you and your passion for politics.

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, there were quite a few people there, but there was also quite a few people noticably absent.
Arlene Singer sure loves to take photos; she's been doing so for years. And as usual, she had to take one of me, my wife, and another couple. We've been friends since were were all in our teens. Charley Donahey was his normal friendly self, and Tom Osowik was ever so nice. I could go on and on about so many of the folks I know that were there like Jeanine Perry, Teresa Fedor, Pete Ujvagi, Carty, Ken Perry, Chris Redfern, John Irish, Dominic Montalto, June Boyd, Robert Torres, and others; but hey, you did a great job in your blog entry.
Thanks for reporting on this event.

Unknown said...

Thanks Roland, I knew I didn't have everyone included that was there. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet.

:-)

liberal_dem said...

but there was also quite a few people noticably absent.

Did any of the "unendorsed" Democrats show up and, if so, how were they treated?

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa. Sorry we missed you. My wife and I were wearing matching shirts that had the map of Ohio on them. She was also introduced by John Irish at the very end of his presentation of elected officials. She is serving her third 4-year term as an elected member of the Lucas County Educational Srrvice Center Governing Board. She is also on the Board of Education for Penta Career Center, fka Penta County Vocational High School.

Unknown said...

Then I am sure I saw you - we just didn't get to "meet".

:-)