Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Corruption...

I don't normally cross post, but I wrote this on my other blog and felt given the discussion here I'd share it with those of you who normally only visit here.

Power tends to corrupt;
absolute power corrupts absolutely

Much has been made about Ney, Noe, Abramoff, Taft and other Republicans as a sign of corruption that should encourage people to vote Democrats into office, not just here in Ohio but nationwide. Yet the problem is not really Republicans, it is that Republicans have held power long enough to be corrupt. I’m crazy you say? How dare I dispute the facts surrounding these wicked, bad Republicans?

Take a short adventure with me into Toledo, Ohio…Yes, the hometown of the now infamous Tom Noe. Democrats are and have been the majority power for quite some time. Yesterday a former Toledo Councilperson, Bob McCloskey pled guilty to two federal counts of bribery and no contest and was found guilty of one of two unrelated felony counts of bribery in Lucas County Common Pleas Court.

It’d be easy to just point to McCloskey as just one “bad apple” yet there were signs that went ignored by other City Council members and in at least one particular situation City Council votes were changed. That’s a big situation, the City of Toledo is involved in a ten million dollar civil lawsuit as a result of accusations made against Bob McCloskey.

Four people changed their vote that created this situation; one of those was Bob McCloskey. The other three are not mentioned often in articles concerning this situation. However if you go back into the Toledo Blade archives, since the City of Toledo does not provide online City Journal information back to 2002, Wilma Brown, who is still a current Toledo City Council person changed her vote. Peter Ujvagi who is now the 47th District House Representative for this area and Tina Skeldon who is now Tina Skeldon Wozniak, a current Lucas County Commissioner, also changed their votes.

We also know now that Wade Kapszukiewicz a former Toledo City Council person, now Lucas County Treasurer was approached by Bob McCloskey in what he felt may have been an attempt at a bribe. Even Republican George Sarantou is publicly stating he also experienced a similar experience. It’s also now been stated that former City Council President Louis Escobar was aware that McCloskey had asked EJS for the money before the vote took place in 2002. Mr. Escobar said he told him it would “look strange” for McCloskey to change his vote after he had previously supported the developer.

Escobar was not present on August 27, 2002 when the vote took place. Yet we do not know why Wilma Brown, Peter Ujvagi or Tina Skeldon Wozniak changed their votes, most of them will not comment because of the “on going civil case”. While that’s understandable it’s also hard to just blame Bob McCloskey. While he may bear the ultimate responsibility in all of this none of these people stepped forward.

Wilma Brown made a comment in today’s Toledo Blade in another article that was about Councilman Frank Szollosi’s attempt to strengthen ethic requirements for Toledo City Council members:

"If you're gonna be a crook, you're gonna be a crook no matter how many pieces of paper you have,"

That’s true, especially if you are surrounded by public officials that will look the other way. There have been many excuses made as to why no one reported this. Many of us feel, rightfully so that these elected officials did have a duty, a moral one since it’s been stated they had no legal duty to report this.

So it’s not just a Republican issue of corruption, it’s an issue that can happen anywhere when one party is allowed to remain in control, and too many of it’s own members are not willing to speak out. Until the day comes when political parties demand ethical behavior from their own party members rather than finger pointing at the other side this will never change.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Do, I would never diss anyone for remaining loyal to a friend. I also agree with you that there is probably a lot more to this than we know and other people who knew about some of this.

So to blame just him to me when this is a much deeper issue would not be right.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Bob's silence, IMO, is a blessing for many in and around the government center; I can hear the sighs of relief clear over by the former Masonic Complex.

To me, Bob "took the fall," and by doing so is protecting others.

They got Bob, but the rest are still free to go about conducting business as usual. . .

Now, the lingering suspicion taints all others, innocent or guilty.

Sad :-(

Anonymous said...

The Blade article on Wade Kapszukiewicz contains the statement: "Mr. Kapszukiewicz in the past had denied to The Blade that the incident took place. But he admitted it yesterday after a Blade reporter asked him about the FBI's inquiry." It appears that Wade K had not been truthful with the Blade concerning this matter in the first place. The way I read it is that Wade initially denied the occurrence of wrongdoing but then changed his story once the FBI became involved. I find that to be absolutely appalling. Is this the only time and situation in which Wade K has not been honest?

Unknown said...

Rpland, I found that troubling too, especially since this could have easily become public quite some time ago.

Unknown said...

Sorry Roland...

:-)

liberal_dem said...

MSNBC's Chris Mathews had a segment on corrupt politicians this evening.

Lisa- you broke the story first!

Unfortunately, it seems that Toledo has had way more than its share of unethical politicians.

Could all of the honest and ethical Toledo politicians please stand up...

liberal_dem said...

Speaking of absolute power and the corruption which follows, did you read this morning's Blade about Kest, Irish and Carty?

It seems that Kest authorized $2 in 'fee-wavers' for folks who supported his election.

Carty 'now realizes' [after the city attorneys grilled him] that perhaps, just perhaps, his campaign to raise $$$ to bribe Saunders to stay on as TPS superintendent could be, might be interpreted in a wrong way.

Then there is 'news' that, out of nowhere, John Irish, kingpin maffioso for Kest, has thrown in his hat for City Council.

Gosh, I guess the 12 'other' candidates who submitted applications for the council seat are not as 'qualified' for the job as John the Irish Mobster.

Welcome to just another day in Toledo Ohio...

Unknown said...

I haven't read the Blade yet, but I will head on over. I was doing the morning get the kids off to school, husband off to work and then reading more of the Toledo Free Press since it comes out every Wednesday.

:-)

Unknown said...

Error: Invalid story key (TO,20060510,NEWS16,605100428,AR).

That's the message I keep getting after the Blade takes forever to load so I'll have to try again later.

:-)

Lloyd said...

Lisa,

I did a similar post on moderatetoledo, but you have certainly expressed yourself more eloquently than myself. I focused more on the treatment of Noe and Limbaugh versus McCloskey and Patrick Kennedy.

Check it out when you get a chance.

Lloyd said...

do,

I'm sure McCloskey appreciates your friendship. Even if what he is going through is of his doing, he still needs support. So many people are fair weather friends and I'm glad you are not one of them.

Unknown said...

Thanks for reminding me Lloyd, I neglected to add Moderate Toledo and your blog to the sidebar of Northwestern Ohio blogs. I've now done so. I'll also head on over and check out your post.

:-)

Brian Maxson said...

Boy, I sure do enjoy eating gherken pickles first thing in the morning. I really enjoy the flavor of my gherkens when I read stories of corruption in Toledo Ohio.

When I saw the stories where Skippy turned down a "alleged bribe" from Bob (cough), then George, Louie and then the vote changes from Pete and WIlma and Tina, I salivate for my gherkens when I see a name missing from the story that was on Council during that era.

I'm not saying anything other than how much I enjoy my gherken pickles.

Am I missing something when Tom Noe isn't even an elected public servant entrusted with Toledo's BEST interests yet gets an anal probe from the Blade, yet this endeavour stops at the public denial of accepting of funds from assorted elected officials?

Oh ok, maybe I am reading more into this than what is on the surface. (cough) Heck, what do I know about anything, I live in Florida.

Speaking of, anyone else unexpectedly laugh out loud when the Blade printed Ray's quote? "I ain't talking to anyone from the Blade."

And Don? 1,000 "Man Points" for standing alongside your friend.

liberal_dem said...

Brian in Vero Beach, Florida: Is Tom Noe a friend of yours? You know, the list of Lucas County R's is quite small so I figure you and he might have been at parties and events together.

By the way, is it very far from your place in Vero to Noe's $5 million estate?

Unknown said...

Brian, I probably did miss some of the names, I was only directly dealing with those who changed their vote or made a public statement.

Lib_Dem...lots of people live in Florida from Ohio, and have no connection to Tom Noe.

I would say though Brian, Bob McCloskey has been at the receiving end of a lot of Blade attention as well as the rest of the regular media.

Brian Maxson said...

Lisa, all I am saying is I enjoy gherken pickles! :)

As I have read somewhere in this blogosphere, it seems Bob will be the "fall guy" to spare everyone who is "already installed" the drama of what Bob is about to endure.

And, according to the Blade, it's troublesome that several members of the Political Circus decided not to come forward and reveal these indescretions when they occured.

Seeing that most of the mentioned names were/are affiliated with the "A" team/JRB "pal pool", I just thought it interesting that there haven't been any anal exams on the aforementioned as Tom Noe received, that's all.

Liberal Dem?

You just sit up there while you're staking out Dem Headquarters and envy me some more and keep your personal dramas on your own site.

:)

liberal_dem said...

Brian- charming as usual.

Unknown said...

Brian, I can't argue the Blade coverage, they don't even mention the names of who changed their vote on "the" deal anymore you have to go back into the archives. Cept to say they have given Bob quite a bit of negative coverage, Noe is a bigger case and was related to the state so it's hard to compare the two.

I'd also add...I like kosher dills best, especially Claussen.

:-)

Anonymous said...

me too!

:)