Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Let's hope Joe wasn't driving...

Another Toledo City Councilperson makes the news, normally a guy who goes out and has a few too many and is locked out doesn't make the Toledo Blade. Yet, if you are an elected official you can pretty much count on it. What is troubling to me is this part:

Mrs. Birmingham locked him out and refused him entry, the report states. Police arrived and found Mr. Birmingham traveling southbound on Lewis.

It was not clear whether Mr. Birmingham was on foot or in a vehicle.

If he was driving, he was driving while under the influence of alcohol. Did he drive home from where ever he was drinking and did he drive away from the house after he was locked out and did he drive to his father's house?

Walking while intoxicated is not a good thing but driving while intoxicated? Endangers people...So which was it? And if he was driving why wasn't he cited.

UPDATE 4/24:

La Prensa has an article that was written from Sojourner’s Truth that asks some interesting questions concerning this incident with Joe Birmingham and his treatment by the media when compared to the media and the Karyn McConnell Hancock parking incident. While I think part of the situation with KMH had to do with her expecting/asking for preferential treatment, it is true that the media was much more all over that story.

10 comments:

Traci said...

The story reported that: It was not clear whether Mr. Birmingham was on foot or in a vehicle.

My question is this - it wasn't clear to whom? You mean to tell me that the police couldn't determine if he was walking or driving? C'mon...

Now, call me crazy...but I'm guessing it's pretty easy to determine if someone was walking or driving. Walking = no car. Driving = car.

And, I had the same question you did -- if he WAS driving, why wasn't he cited?

liberal_dem said...

Yes, Birmingham will have some explaining to do. Perhaps we should ask his wife.

Unknown said...

I was just told that Joe's father lives within walking distance. So chances are he was walking from his house.

That however doesn't answer the question as to where he was drinking and how did he get home from there. While I don't think the police could cite him without proof he was driving, it would be nice to know if he was at least responsible enough to not drive while intoxicated.

Unknown said...

Do, I realize that he can't be cited even if they knew he was driving earlier. I hope he wasn't that either someone else drove him home or the bar was nearby as well and he walked home.

Yet we don't know that. I'm far from perfect, but driving while drunk can not only endanger your own life but others. My daughter Erin lost her best friend due to a driver who was impaired. So for me it's one of those sitautions I take very seriously.

Anonymous said...

Well it seems that the word around here is - was he driving or was he walking. Well I'm here to tell you all the truth.... he was on a tricycle coasting towards his home :) but seriously I have to agree with my wife on this one. If he was walking get off his back, but if he was driving while under then for god sakes do your job thouroughly and if you can't then please hang up the straps and allow someone else who is currently in training show you how to.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I believe that walking while drunk will only get you busted if you are making a nuisance of yourself, or become belligerent if checked by the cops.

Unknown said...

Do, I heard about this before the Blade wrote about it, and I debated posting it. As you can see I didn't until the Blade wrote about it because people do have private lives even elected officials. It was one of those lines I wasn't sure I wanted to cross. Yet I felt there were some valid questions as to not necessarily the domestic aspect but it wasn't clear if he was driving at any part of the night.

Maggie said...

fyi - in a WSPD interview this morning, Joe stated that he was walking...

Unknown said...

I didn't hear it, but I was told that he stated he was walking after his wife called the police. The question of was he driving while drinking prior to that wasn't answered or asked.

That at least explains why he wasn't cited, I guess we are left to wonder how he got to his home prior to the police being called.

From an anti drinking driving stance that's my only real concern, the domestic part of it should be between them.

Unknown said...

Dan, there was no Domestic Violence charges made in this case from my understanding of it. This has no comparison to the situation where two children were murdered.