I was trying to find out more information on the Springfield School levy since this morning's Toledo Blade states that the latest numbers shows it as not passing. The ever popular "invalid story key" blurb came up rather than the article.
So, in checking other categories to see if I could find the story I was looking for I came across this May 13th article.
I tried several times without success to get this information from the Toledo Public School Administration. After a week of phone tag being transfered to person to person and never having calls or emails returned it was nice to see that the information I had been looking for was finally out there:
According to district records, 1,388, or 58.6 percent of its 2,369 contract teachers, live outside the school system boundaries. Of the 341 Toledo Public Schools administrators, 202, or nearly 60 percent, live outside the district.
That means they can't vote in elections for the district's levies or choose school board members, and their property taxes don't return to their employer's general operating fund.
According to the article, Francine Lawrence stated this is a "bogus issue". While I am not questioning the dedication of the teachers who for various reasons do not live within the City of Toledo and I also realize for some where their spouses work is a factor. I can't help but believe that this does send a message whether intended or not that a majority of Toledo Public School Teachers and Administrators don't support the district enough to financially support it or select TPS as a location to educate their children.
Especially bothersome to me is the Administrators. Here we have a key group of people that do have some impact as to funding and they will propose/support new levies that they don't have to participate in.
So, does this matter to you or do you agree with Ms. Lawrence that it is a "bogus issue"?
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
5 comments:
I have weighed in on this issue before as it applied to police and firemen.
My belief is that, if you take the check from a government entity, that government should be able to require residency.
Don't like the city, state, or country? Move, or take a job in the private sector.
Now that the State has interfered in the ability to require residency requirements it would make it more difficult. Yet I understand where you are coming from Mike and I can't say I disagree. There should be some sort of waiver process in place but I think if you work for a local government or school system you would want to help support your employer. It reminds me of a friend of mine that used to drink Coke until he was hired by Pepsi. It wasn't a requirement that he drink Pepsi but he didn't feel as if he could buy a Coke product.
:-)
Dan, Glass City Jungle is not Progressive Toledo. I've never stated I was "progressive" when it comes to several issues.
I'm sorry my use of a personal example bothered you but it wasnt' meant as an insult to teachers. This was something done out of loyalty to an employer. Even if it was "just" pop.
Should doctors, lawyers, nurses, engineers, accountants be in this question? If they work for a public school system yes. As for the suburbs if the majority of their teaching staff and administration lives outside of their taxing district I'd ask the same questions.
Here in Springfield most of the teachers and administration do live within this area. From what I was told a much higher percentage than Toledo and housing prices here are much higher than Toledo.
If almost 60 percent of your teaching staff and your administration will not participate in the process nor would a tax levy have any impact on them or their children should that matter as far as their input/support on a levy? If Maumee or any of the other schools are in that scenario? Then the same question would apply. Should that matter to voters who do live in the district and not only fund the school but send their children there. Some see that as these teachers and administration feel that the school system is not good enough for them, so Dan whether you agree with that or not, it is a sentiment that is out there and is one that is furthered by the majority not living within Toledo. Especially as I originally posted the administration.
Dan, if teachers can afford to live in Springfieled township, if administrators can afford to live in Springfield township than logic tells you given the median house price is less in Toledo so the financial aspect is not why teachers do not live in Toledo.
You disagree with me, that's fine but I'm entitled to my opinion and I feel if a person really believes in the district they work for they support it by living in it and participating in the voting process to determine the levies as well as the School Board members.
I'll give you another example, one of my children's teachers at the High School has his wife homeschool their children. He's saying that he doesn't believe in the very district he's teaching in. That it's okay for my children but not his. If teachers do not trust or support the district they work in for their on children then why should anyone trust them with ours?
It's not arrogant to expect that the person you are entrusting your child's education with feels they same way when it comes to their own children. It is not arrogant to expect the person promoting a school levy and it's cost versus benefits would be personally involved in that aspect as well.
I did know where my teachers live and I do know where most of my children's teachers live right now. Some of them are neighbors. They are a part of the community not just people who work there. That to me is what this is all about. If that many teachers and administrators don't want to live in Toledo and do not want to send their own children to Toledo Public Schools then there is a much deeper issue than TPS needing another levy.
Lisa,
”So, does this matter to you or do you agree with Ms. Lawrence that it is a "bogus issue"?”
This “issue” is just the tip of the iceberg.
The REAL, Telling Issue is, “where do these teachers and administrators send their children/grandchildren to be educated.
The answer to that question is the more important and telling issue.
From my unscientific polling, almost every teacher/administrator sends their children/grandchildren to either private or parochial schools.
Now, I am wondering, why would that be?
What do they know that the parents of their students don’t?
Post a Comment