Thursday, May 25, 2006

Sylvania Vision 2010

If you are a Sylvania resident, hopefully you've marked your calendars for tonight:

Acting as a citizen, not a council member, Mr. (Mark) Bula has scheduled a public forum at 7 p.m. tonight at Wingate Inn & Suites in downtown Sylvania to discuss strategic visioning for the city. Participants in Sylvania Vision 2010 will be actively engaged in hands-on activities and should be prepared to discuss the strengths, opportunities, weaknesses, and threats to the community, he said.

In addition to the above linked Toledo Blade article, more information can be found on Mark's website

I hope there is a fantastic turnout for tonight, this is a wonderful way for residents of Sylvania to become even more involved in the future of their City.

8 comments:

liberal_dem said...

Wouldn't it be grand if the city of Toledo offered such citizen input? Gosh, where would one begin???

Unknown said...

Another reason to hope that this is a huge success as far as participation, the chance that it would be attemped here.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up, Lisa! Great idea indeed.

I think the Blade article has a huge contrast between Bula and Sylvania Council President Sears:

"(Sears says) After council finalizes its position on the mission statement, public input will be sought to find out whether the citizens think we're on the right track."

Bula, by contrast, is holding this forum PRIOR to the retreat, to make sure CITIZENS (not council) set the course of the city.

We need more public officials like Bula. Unfortunately, most in Toledo tend to be like Sears.

Unknown said...

Kate, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to attend yet or not, but I'm hoping that we have some readers here that will go that will report. If that doesn't happen I will ask Mark for his take on last night. So one way or the other I hope to have more information on tonight.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Several years ago, the City of Toledo had quite an extensive citizen participation process. I was fortunate enough to have been a citizen representative and participant on many occasions.

Anonymous said...

Hi all. I helped Mark to some extent pull this event together.

It's not a typical town hall where one person gripes and moans then passes the mic. It's based around a series of events that get the creative juices flowing and is not intimidating or formal. It will be both entertaining and valuable.

I encourage any non-Sylvania residents to attend because the model is reproducible on a larger scale.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

liberal_dem & Lisa,

You are both way underestimating the ability of Toledo City Council to thoroughly muck things up for generations to come.

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Images and descriptions of the event are avaiable by downloading the following pdf:

http://www.markbula.com/wrapup.pdf

More info and larger images are available on Mark's website, www.markbula.com.