Friday, July 14, 2006

Fedor V Finkbeiner...A team V B team..

Yes, it's gotten to the point that even a "temporary truce" between the seemingly impossible to unite Lucas County Democrats gets media attention.

As the above title linked article states:

"This is bigger than us," Ms. Fedor said she told the mayor.

Not to diminish either sides belief in their importance but...It is pretty safe to say that one little phrase could apply to most of what the A V B team skirmishes are about.

ps...one "A" teamer and one "B" teamer are still missing. I'm beginning to wonder if this is being done purposely so that I'll keep linking the Lucas County Democratic Party website...

:-)

10 comments:

Maggie said...

Also from the article:
"There is peace in Toledo, Ohio, among the A and B-team Democrats, however short-lived that may be," the mayor said with a laugh during a telephone interview."

sad - sounds like he's just waiting for the next divisive issue.

Unknown said...

I think given the current atomosphere that's pretty much a given.

While I was at the Strickland event I watched the crowd when Carty was talking about the whole there is no A team and there is no B team anymore. It was obvious there were those who applauded this with a great amount of sincerity but it was also obvious that there were a few who were not interested and until those few let this go? Chances are we are in a continuing game of "tit for tat" ala Lucas County style.

This upcoming Toledo City Council race is going to create even more division before it is over. No matter how hard any of them try to avoid it it's going to happen.

Maggie said...

That "next divisive issue" happened sooner than I thought.

Sen. Fedor invited all city and county elected officials to a meeting Friday at 11 a.m. (notices sent out Thursday) to bring everyone into the same room to discuss the flooding and coordinate response. Carty, as of Friday morning, scheduled a 10:30 meeting to discuss the same thing.

While I wasn't at Carty's meeting, Sen. Fedor said several times, prior to the actual start of her meeting, that "we're here to focus on the tasks we need to do - not on the a-team/b-team divide."

Maggie said...

Nice spin, Brian...

If it was so important to get out into the field, then why not just coordinate the meetings so there didn't have to be two of them?

Yes, you were there (on and off while taking phone calls and handling your duties). And please clarify if I was told incorrectly, but you were only sent to the meeting after Tina Skeldon Wozniak had a "conversation" with the mayor saying he at least had to sent a representative.

The mayor's actions in scheduling a second meeting a half hour prior to the senator's was unprofessional and further highlighted the divide between the A and B teams - hence my description of this as the next "divisive issue."

For goodness sake - they couldn't even agree on how to hold a meeting to coordinate help for flood victims so they each had to hold their own. We've known each other a long time and you'll never convince me that you, personally, think that it was a good p.r. decision.

Let the spin continue...

Anonymous said...

Brian- your task, to spin all of the crap that Carty does, will exhaust you and wear you to a frazzle. Of course, your $75k helps make it almost worth while.

Spin on, Schwartz!

Maggie said...

Brian - I did not mean to imply that you should not have taken your calls - I thought that the way I stated it indicated that you were handling your duties when you stepped out of the room.

I was told that the Mayor was invited, along with everyone else on Thursday. I will check the email to be sure and will post back here if he wasn't included.

Yes - the city and county have worked well. It's the city's responsibility to handle their situation and the county's responsibility to assist you in the manner which you decide.

But the a-team/b-team divide is getting in the way of good coordination at all levels....

Brian Maxson said...

Brian?

Blah blah $75,000 a year blah blah.

Nice to see you elected officials finally earning your keep in the community and doing something more than bitching about who screwed up.

Brian, seeing this is a city issue, where has the city been since the initial destruction and all the bullcrap excuses your office dispensed as well as a city council meeting where again, the residents issues were ignored.

And who is the mayor to commit a "prayer meeting" during a major crisis?

Photo op Photo op Photo op.

Instead of my sympathies, you instead get my disgust.

Im crying a Maumee River Czarty had to miss a personal event, but had this situation been addressed when presented on Czarty, Toledo could have enjoyed some "Czarty-free" time.

But alas, you got your job of spinning and we got the job of living like this.

Thanks for the excuses.

Unknown said...

Brian, thanks for pointing out those who showed up. I had heard that both Frank and Joe were there. I didn't realize others were and I think they do deserve some major kudos for helping out like that.

I think if people are going to focus on the division aspect they also have to look at Fedor as well. It appears the lack of communication was a two way street and traditionally when a tour of an area hit by some sort of a disaster happens there is a common courtesy aspect of notifying the City that you are coming. Especially when you are bringing a Gubernatorial candidate's wife with you. That doesn't help lend a tone of "unity". This is another one of those who did what first scenarios where in the end?

I don't really think as far as the victims of the floods that they care who met where. They'd probably much rather prefer action over meetings.

Which is why I focused on the one line from the article, "This is bigger than us,"

Because it is bigger than the both of them and I'd suggest both sides could have handled various aspects of this better.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Maggie,
”sad - sounds like he's just waiting for the next divisive issue.”

Since when does Carty need a divisive issue, or any kind of excuse, for that matter? (Obviously rhetorical…) ;-)


Lisa,
”…and until those few let this go…”

Kind of reminds me of the Middle-East, right here in Toledo…


Maggie,
”Sen. Fedor invited all city and county elected officials to a meeting Friday at 11 a.m. (notices sent out Thursday) to bring everyone into the same room to discuss the flooding and coordinate response. Carty, as of Friday morning, scheduled a 10:30 meeting to discuss the same thing.:

Now that didn’t take long at all, did it? Dueling meetings on the same subject/topic… Not divisive at all, shows REAL leadership (oh, I forgot, sarcasm alert, sarcasm alert, sarcasm alert.

”The mayor's actions in scheduling a second meeting a half hour prior to the senator's was unprofessional and further highlighted the divide between the A and B teams - hence my description of this as the next "divisive issue."

Atta boy Carty! I’m so gosh darned proud that he’s our mayor. He’s really showing real leadership in times of stress and turmoil. (Oh, sarcasm alert, sarcasm alert, sarcasm alert. (Sorry, I keep forgetting about that sarcasm thing…)

Anonymous said...

Very nice site!
» »