Sunday, July 09, 2006

Looks like Learn and Earn made it

In this Toledo Blade article about the deceptive nature of the signature gathering process, we discover something that I expected:

As of last weekend, Mr. Hopcraft said the effort already had garnered more than 402,000 signatures. It has until Aug. 9 to continue collecting signatures in hopes of surviving review by county boards of election and a potential court challenge that could drag the effort below the 323,000 threshold.

Granted a majority of those 402,000 probably had no clue it involved gambling but evidently it's legal to be deceptive in collecting signatures for petitions to change the Constitution in Ohio. Considering they are still collecting signatures at this point they have a cushion of 79,000 signatures. Even if they don't make their goal of 500,000 as it stands right now this will probably be on the fall ballot.

Despite this:

Spokesman David Hopcraft said Learn and Earn has heard complaints about the radio spot, and said the spots are designed to introduce Ohioans to the Learn and Earn brand.

The commercial does provide an Internet address for voters to find out more about Learn and Earn. The Web site, www.ohiolearnandearn.com, states on its home page that the program would be funded with slot machine revenue and provides a link to the full language of the proposed amendment.

He said the organization will be more explicit about the gambling connection during the fall campaign, assuming the proposed amendment is certified for the Nov. 7 ballot.


I'm not overly optimistic that future commercials will be more factual in content. However, I'm sure the organized opposition will then start and they'll hopefully be more factual as to what Learn and Earn really is about. Gambling...with a side benefit to entice you into supporting a constitutional change to allow it by dangling the promise of college funding that many more than me question from a numbers stance.

It's said there is a sucker born every minute, there could be some truth to that. It's amazing to me that so many people would sign a petition to change the Constitution for our State without bothering to get details. Or the attitude toward legalizing gambling in this state has changed dramatically since the past failed attempts. Unfortunately I'm leaning towards the first statement...

Now, back to moving...

11 comments:

Scott said...

We're still waiting for the "Learn & Earn" guys to take the "Nookular Challenge".

Can't blame them for steerin' clear, though...

;)

Paul Ackerman said...

But ... a lot of good will come of this!

:)

It's up to us to fight these people to make sure that the voters are educated and know what is on the ballot.

laser said...

Reminds me of the Ohio Lottery.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Yeah, you'd think that after the lies of the Ohio Lottery had been fully realized, this one wouldn't have had a snowball's chance in hell of getting enough support.

It still amazes me what a little deceit and a lot of ignorance can accomplish.

"We the Sheeple," had better be very careful...

historymike said...

Thanks for staying on top of this, Lisa. I was not paying much attention until I heard one of those obnoxious Earn-and-Learn radio spots.

Unknown said...

Hopefully the good people of Ohio will read the constitutional amendment and not believe the hype.

Unknown said...

I have read the full constitutional amendment and I also know who is behind the support of this plan which is not designed to benefit children - it's designed to benefit the race track owners.

Which is why none of the main candidates on either side are supporting this. Anyone who is really concerned with college educations costs would not be turning to slots, they would be doing something like HOPE or the Kalamazoo Promise or even better yet...working to keep costs down so allll children could attend college not just the top 5%.

Unknown said...

I also think it's obvious given your profile that you are a tad biased. Are you perhaps planning on being the next Todd?

:-)

Anonymous said...

I'm a 24 year old housewife with three kids. My husband drives a truck and make about $45,000.00 per year. Learn and Earn is my only hope to send my children to college. Please, for the sake of our kids who could never afford college, Vote yes on issue 3 on Nov 7th.

Anonymous said...

I am not a gambler but I will vote Yes on Learn and Earn because I would rather dollars for education come from gambling revenues than tax increases. Ohio is not capable of getting the money any other way. This is the lesser of two evils. Vote Yes on Issue 3 !

Unknown said...

You know, it's really strange that all of you magically decided to stop by to make it appear there are all of these supporters for Learn and Earn. Especially on an old post that was written back on July 9th.

I'd suggest you stop by and read all of the information here.

I'd also point out Kelly that given your income that your children would be eligible for aid for college. I have three in college right now and we make less than you do.

It's probably pretty pointless to point out to either the three of you that Learn and Earn is not about college scholarships it's about gambling and that there are other ways to fund college that could be done with less damage and more security than how the constitutional amendment is written. It should also be obvious that candidates such as Ted Strickland don't support Learn and Earn yet he is working on ways to make college affordable that don't require hurting society.

Have a nice night.

:-)