Saturday, July 01, 2006

Our House project...

Part of the reason I have been blogging less as some of you know is we have been working on moving from an apartment in Springfield/Holland into a house in South Toledo. We didn't purchase the house, it belongs to a friend who has let us put some sweat equity into it. He is the one who had contractors do all new windows and doors and some of the major repairs. We've done the "grunt work". If all goes well ownership is in the future :-)

To give you an idea of how much has been done (as well as how much still has to be done later) Here is a picture of the house from Areis online before any work was done:

before

Last night, this is how the House now looks. New siding is next for the outside as well as eavespouting.

The backyard was pretty much my own Glass City Jungle

Last night, this is what the yard now looks like. Still have some weeds and more work to do but? We're getting there.

I have a few more shots, including interior ones posted over at Liberal Common Sense for those who want to see more, that's where I've focused more on my "House Adventures". I really should have taken some before pictures of the inside but it was pretty bad. Bad enough I really wondered if was going to be possible to get this done. I guess this goes to show you even after years of neglect it's possible to get things where you want them to be or at least closer as long as you don't give up. I grew up in South Toledo, I'm looking forward to going home...

:-)

10 comments:

liberal_dem said...

Congratulations to you and your husband on saving a house from decline. Too often we would rather throw away a house than restore it. I think this only happens in America.

scott bakalar said...

Yeah, Lisa Renee, this seems like a win-win situation. Although you and your husband worked your butts off, you get a great old house, and a neighborhood gets folks who really care about the place and the block.

I lived in Toledo from 1979 - 1984 while a student at UT, it's a great town (or at least my memories of it are positive)and hopefully the South Side will be a good place to settle down.

Best of luck with your future projects and many happy memories in your new home.

Unknown said...

Thanks everybody!

I think why I like this house so much is it reminds me of the one I grew up in. Similar lines with the arches and the layout.

I still would love to live downtown Ben, maybe that will happen in the future. The lofts I have seen are amazing. Scott, I didn't know you went to UT, gee maybe we were at some of the same parties back then - I didn't go to UT but I had friends that did. Spent a bit of time at the Brass Bell, Kips and Dixie Electric until 1982 when I became a mom.

:-)

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Congratulations Lisa, Miguel and family!

You should be proud of your accomplishment in revitalizing a house that otherwise might have been destroyed.

Looks very good!

And, welcome!!!

Subcomandante Bob said...

Hey Lisa -

If I get kicked out of the Cherry Street Mission again, can I camp in your backyard?

Frank Szollosi said...

welcome to the neighborhood. Feel like you should own stock at Home Depot, too?

Jeffrey Smith said...

Very nice. A house with character. As a renter, my congratulations. As a former homeowner, my sympathy. Both will be appropriate.

Unknown said...

Hooda, it will be nice to be back in the old neighborhood. I was looking forward to checking out Casey's Icecream shoppe since it's within walking distance but it doesn't look like they are going to open up this year.

Bob, of course you can stay in my backyard, the garage has electricity. :-)

Frank, I realized today that I know Home Depot by heart as well as Andersons. You know you have spent too much time in Anderson's Home Improvement Section when they greet you by name.

Jeffrey, I can relate to that. Right now with some of the crisis's we've gone thru I've been kind of glad we don't own the house at this point. Especially the Columbia Gas line saga.

Maggie said...

Lisa - after kids, your home will be the source of your greatest joy and greatest frustration. It looks like it has "good bones" and I'm sure you're looking forward to the day when most of the major work is done.

Caution though - work on a house is NEVER finished. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

That is so true Maggie, back when I did own a home years ago I discovered that by the time I was done doing everything there were new things I wanted to do. I'm most looking forward to having a yard again. While at first I enjoyed not having to cut the grass and weed, I miss gardening and having my little veggie garden. I miss pussywillow and lilac trees and purple roses. (Yes you can tell which will be my first plantings.)

:-)