Thursday, July 13, 2006

Toledo becoming "Big Cheese"

Seriously, I'm not joking, though some could say I was broaching a very "cheesey" topic... I was reading a copy of "Development News" which is published thru Toledo Business Journal and saw this as a headline, "A&M Cheese Co. Relocates, Toledo home to Ohio's largest cheese plant". I can't link to the story because Toledo Business Journal doesn't have that as an option. However, some information from the article:

A&M Cheese Company has moved to a new location on Waggoner Blvd and has started operations. A&M grew from Sofo Foods and they specialize in creating custom cheese blends for pizzerias. The expected increase in production at the new facility is from 31 million pounds of cheese processed to 60 million pounds of cheese processed each year. (That's a lot of cheese.) No new jobs resulted in the move but there is an expectation that as the business continues to grow that new jobs will be added.

Some interesting things I learned in addition to the existance of the plant was that the entire new facility will be kept at 38 degrees. The building is highly specialized and is a USDA plant. Currently the plant makes cheese blends for Sofo Foods, Dairy Fresh and Grecco with some new distribution to suppliers out in California.

In doing just a bit of additional research I found this page over at the Sofo Foods website. They even have a slide show on the new building.

I picked up my free copy of Development News at Beaner's over at Cricket West. I called to verify that it was a monthly publication and it is at various locations within Toledo including our public library system. There are several other articles of interest so I recommend picking up a copy.

:-)

5 comments:

liberal_dem said...

Thanks for the heads-up on the Sofo expansion. 'Ohio' cheese just dossn't sound as tasty as Wisconsin. But what the heck, homegrown and jobs right here in Toledo make it more appetizing.

Anonymous said...

Toledo Cheese? Wow, let the cheese join in with Toledo glass. Let's hope it doesn't go away like Toledo Scale.

whew!! for a moment I was worried that I'd make some silly comment about Toledo sleeze --- oops.

Maggie said...

Lisa - caught up on my reading today and saw the same article...thought it was pretty cool (no pun intended) that a local company was growing. I love Sofo's cheeses...

Thanks for highlighting this on your blog!

Unknown said...

This was the first time I'd picked up a copy, but I plan to make it a regular one to get. That was one upside of not having net at the house, I had more time to read. I also love Sofo Foods.

:-)

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I kina wish that the slide show was a little longer, they left out the insulation and cooling, which should have been quite interesting (to us geeky folks).

I noticed that the building had quite a few internal posts, something that most manufacturing/warehouse facilities try to avoid...

;-)