Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Bob McCloskey facing additional charges

As reported by WTOL and the Toledo Blade:

TOLEDO -- Gregory A. White, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Ohio announced Wednesday that a two-count information was filed charging Toledo City Council Member-at-Large Robert A. McCloskey. The information charges bribery in violation of the Hobbs Act.

Count 1 of the information alleges that on March 22, 2006, McCloskey accepted a $3,000 bribe from an unnamed Toledo businessman who was cooperating with the FBI. Count 2 of the information alleges that he accepted a second $2,000 bribe from the same businessman on April 12, 2006.


Now George Sarantou is stating on 13ABC he was approached with an envelope and he was not sure what was in the envelope. That it was sealed and thick it felt like it contained money, but Sarantou said he didn't want it, he wasn't interested and gave it back to McCloskey.

Wade Kapszukiewicz made a similar statement to the Toledo Blade claiming that in 2002 McCloskey offered him an envelope containing 5 one hundred dollar bills.

What I find interesting is George Sarantou states he told the City Law department about this and Michael Beazley who was the Toledo City Council Clerk was aware of the situation with Wade; how many other people knew and why wasn't some type of public claim or ethics complaint filed? According to the Toledo Blade article Wade denied this incident happening for almost four years when asked by reporters.

If all of this is true, why did Bob McCloskey continue to seek public office? Even if voters still selected him why would he even be considered for President of Toledo City Council or any key appointments? The silence from those who knew about this is bothersome.

9 comments:

historymike said...

hat it says to me is that there is a "culture of corruption" in City Hall.

Some, like McCloskey, partake, while others uncomfortably look the other way.

No one wanted to be the moral leader (it's political suicide, of course). It sounds like people have been leaking this for a few years, but if no one will go on the record, the story stays buried.

In my early twenties I "ignored" some blatant corruption in a place I worked. To this day I regret not being the person at the front of the pack with the pitchfork and torch.

I would bet that the sting operation is the result of people - maybe Kapszukiewicz - telling the Feds what kind of sleazy garbage was happening.

The problem is that these sorts of rumors have been around a loooong time. I'd bet if the Feds dug deep enough, several other high-profile Toledo pols would go down with McCloskey.

Then again, it's only rumors, right?

Unknown said...

If it is more than just Bob McCloskey now would be the perfect time for him to talk about it. Especially since there are two sides to every story and his hasn't come out yet.

Is there more to this? That's what I keep wondering.

Anonymous said...

The silence is bothersome, indeed.

Anonymous said...

I dunno Mike. Something about Wade K. has always bothered me. Too slick for being such a nerd, too connected. He used to be my councilman and He just didn't seem to have all that much integrity. More interested in using the ward as his launching platform for higher office than doing anything special for his consituents just for the sake of being a good public servant.

If he had anything, he would have rode that horse 'til it dropped. He's too ambitious not to grab a winning issue and get out in front of a crowd to act like where they're going is where he was leading all along. It would have been irresistable.

If he knows anything, he's either involved up to his eyeballs (which wouldn't surprise me and explains how he's always so well funded) or he's just posing.

I think Wade knew exactly what was going on and was tempted to partake himself, got chicken, and is trying to deflect any criticism against himself by pointing fingers now.

If what he says about this going on for years is true, and he did nothing, that's no better than if he was taking bribes himself.

But what do I know. You guys have been here a lot longer than me. I moved here in 2000.

In my mind, the only thing that absolves Wade for his silence is if he has been working with the Feds for the last four years. If not, his silence in the face of blantant corruption stains him as well.

Subcomandante Bob said...

Federal prosecutors are torn over the appropriate sentence recommendation for Bob.

Unknown said...

Do, I think your gut feeling may be right. It doesn't look like Bob is going to talk though if the news reports are correct. I believe it was 11 that reported he is going to plead guilty.

You could also be right on the sting, that usually is the case. But on the other side, Bob should have been even more careful given what he had already been thru.

Two years in prison seems a bit harsh of a sentence to me realizing that a man under the influence of drugs only got 16 months in prison for killing one of my daughter's best friends with his car. Especially since no one can say Bob has not gone thru public humiliation over this one.

Anonymous said...

Having spent time in the environs... and as indicated in previous C_D_ comment...a while back-- I still defend the former Councilman. I do not believe his motives were ever malicious or malevolent. If they were my hunch is he'd be in much better stead than he is now...

the fact that pol after pol jumping on to further beat the proverbial "dead horse" merely indicates fear and trepidation.

I wouldn't 'spect the former councilman to turn on anyone...-- I don't perceive him to be shicken chit-- to use do's phrase. And, to make the rest of you laugh(and or HM angry) ... i think he's got too much... class to fling mud.


I've yet to see proof of any political favor granted by the former councilman, any decision swayed or any benefit received from any alleged contribution, and as for the sting... well do pretty much sd it all


How many of you could remember with absolute clarity what you were doing 3 years and 2 hours ago today...?

If someone were to look at your life, what kind of quilt could they make of incidental behaviors?


At this point, the only pol in office i see as remotely respectable and is ROB LUDEMAN. It has been a wonderful and pleasant surprise to see someone snatch dignity from the floor and attempt to make the office worthy of some respect. I just wish others had half his class and integrity....

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

"The silence from those who knew about this is bothersome."

This is something that only a very large broom can take care of.

But as long as the voters keep voting them in, even when they're caught with their hands in the cookie jar and crumbs all over their faces, nothing will change.

So, until the electorate smartens up (highly unlikely, IMO), we can come to expect more of the same old, same old. . .

Subcomandante Bob said...

Do posted the smartest comment yet about L'Affair McCloskey.

Bob was only doing what comes naturally in City Hall; the reason he seemed so stupid is that we don't know exactly how often such corrupt scams occur.

And the silence is indeed deafening.

Maybe Bob will turn state's evidence and help the feds root out a few more graft-takers.

I bet if I get him liquored up he would tell me.