Saturday, May 13, 2006

Filling a vacant Toledo City Council Seat

The Lucas County Democratic Party had their screening committee meet to start interviewing the 12 candidates on May 10th. However, despite whatever recommendation they come up with, here is what Toledo City Charter states is the procedure to fill a vacant Council Seat:

Section 26. The Council.

Vacancies in Council shall be filled by election of the remaining members of the Council of an individual qualified to serve as a member of Council in accordance with this Charter. In the event Council fails to fill such vacancy within thirty (30) days of the occurrence of any vacancy, then the Mayor shall fill such vacancy. Such individual shall serve by appointment until a successor is elected and qualified at an election as specified herein.


More on this as it develops, including some actual details about the Screening Committee...

:-)

11 comments:

liberal_dem said...

The screening committee, Lisa, is just a smoke 'screen' while the bosses chew their cigars in the backroom and make their own pick.

It is clear to me [from my sources] that Carty and Irish have disqualified any former 'A Teamer' from consideration.

It is payback time for Carty and Irish, because they are still pissed that the A-Team Council members did not select 'their' candidate last time. These two characters hold grudges like Mafiosos. They want to teach a lesson here, so, Lisa, don't bother with any more information about the so-called 'screening committee.'

Unknown said...

Thanks, but I am interested in the Screening Committee, especially considering what I have heard from several sources.

The fact that information on the whole process is difficult to come by, makes it more interesting to me to write about. I know how the by-laws are set up for the Ohio Democratic Party, I've read by-laws from several other county party organizations. Yet in Lucas County? Not only is that information not online (which several counties and the Ohio Democratic Party do provide on line) but the majority of the information that is given is outdated. So far I have not come across anyone who will send me a copy of the Lucas County Democratic by-laws. If anyone has a copy? I'd love to see it.

This to me creates part of the problem which is people don't have enough information on what is the "right way" to do things. That increases the chance of things being done the "wrong way". For what is supposed to be a public process (electing officials) quite a bit of it is being done behind closed doors.

:-)

liberal_dem said...

quite a bit of it is being done behind closed doors

Oh, so true. Remember how cockroaches scatter when the light is lit.

Maggie said...

Lisa - I believe that local bylaws need to be filed - either with the local BOE or the sec. of state?

that may help you find what you're looking for...

Unknown said...

Thanks Maggie, I haven't tried the Secretary of State.

It shouldn't be that difficult.

I did however discover that a written request to the local county party is supposed to be all that is required so? I'll try that again.

:-)

Unknown said...

As just one example of how other counties do this?

Otta County Democrats

Nice format and they provide by laws in a pdf format.

Even a large county such as Franklin County has their by laws on line;

here

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Lisa,

It really doesn't matter what the local democratic party's bylaws are or if they are written anywhere.

What matters is what rules really apply and what the REAL decision makers decide.

Written rules and procedures would just confuse the common folks...

As for council succession, I'd like it just fine if the Charter was amended to specify that the next highest vote-getter gets the position. That would remove the politics of annointing the next council member out of the hands of the Mayor or the Council and back in the hands of those that actually voted in the election.

But, you'd think that local dems would want their bylaws to be available to all too, unless...

liberal_dem said...

But, you'd think that local dems would want their bylaws to be available to all too, unless...

...they had something to hide?

Sure enough, hooda. Speaking of backroom dealings, I've heard that yet another name has been added to the list of those seeking McCloskey's seat. This makes the 3rd person 'after the official deadline' of last Friday at 6:00 PM.

Irish, Carty, and Montalto are now considering Paula Hicks-Hudson for the position. One might ask- just when did she turn in her application, but we all know the answer to that.

Unknown said...

I made my request in writing again today thru the regular postal system, with delivery notification. So maybe by next week I'll receive a response.

I'd say gee they shouldn't be able to add someone after the cut off date but then again the Lucas County Democratic Party really has no involvement in the process other than making a recommendation. It's not up to them who is selected, they have no vote on the matter it is up to Toledo City Council or if they wait beyond 30 days? The Mayor. From my understanding of this from a legal aspect the only candidates for consideration are those who have given their application/information to the Clerk of City Council.

I do think this whole situation points out an area in the charter that needs clarification as to the process.

Maggie said...

Lisa - I think the charter is very clear. The confusion comes into play when a political party tells its elected representatives who THEIR choice is - and then expects that those elected reps will just tow the party line. And both parties do this....

Anonymous said...

This same discussion has taken place many times over the past several decades. It occurs every time there is a vacancy on Toledo City Council.
After the dust settles, nothing gets changed. Then some time will pass and the same situation recurs. And the cycle begins again.
It's sort of like whenever the Presidential election is so close that folks clamor about changing the Constitution from a Presidential Electoral College system to a popularly elected system.