Wednesday, May 17, 2006

First Source job program

Separating the extra drama that happened between the Mayor and Toledoans United for Social Action over the creation of a First Source Job program for this area that was written about in today's Toledo Blade as linked above to me is important. There are some valid questions as to the success rate of First Source in other areas and I think it's also important that resources this area already has should be a part of this discussion.

San Francisco developed a similar program in 1998. They have a 62 page pdf report that evaluates what happened with the program there. It does not appear it was an overall success as far as creating jobs for various reasons as the pdf outlines.

Alameda and Contra Costa Counties in California have instituted a one year pilot program but it appears that this is not a City Program and is being done with the cooperation of quite a few agencies.

Even if you discount some of the problems that have happened and embrace First Source as a great idea, I couldn't help wondering don't we already have a mechanism in place for this? When you read this it seems as if we do. I know when I was hired at Convergys they received tax credits and incentives for hiring many of us. While I am not an expert on The Source that the Lucas County Commissioners have worked to develop, it seems that most of what is being asked of Toledo to do with "First Source" is already in place or possible thru "The Source".

Helping people to find employment and assisting companies get credits available to them for hiring people is important. Yet doesn't it make more sense to fully utilize or enhance what we already have rather than create something new? That to me should be the first step. If for some reason "The Source" doesn't provide what Toledoans United for Social Action would like to see, is there a way to do that thru the already existing program? That way it would be of benefit to all Lucas County residents and all Lucas County Employers.

7 comments:

liberal_dem said...

Lisa,

Thank you for bring this to the attention of the blogosphere.

When I read the Blade article and Carty's juvenile stunt, I had to laugh. Or was it cry.

I know Sr. Nancy Westmeyer. She is a no-nonsense, organized and assertive lady who gets things done. Might I use the term, "Gets results?"

As Carty is known to have problems with his anger management, I can see how a person of her temperament could set him off.

Maggie said...

First Source contracts can be both good and bad depending upon how they're worded.

TUSA asked the BCC to institute a first-source contract, but counties have no legal authority to do so.

We've been advertising using THE Source (our one-stop employment location) for any new hires. The way this is currently working, a company agrees to post the positions at The Source and interview individuals who respond through The Source. Depending upon what a company needs or wants, we can even pre-screen applicants and conduct first interviews. This is all voluntary and at no cost to the employer.

When TUSA came to see me, they wanted a guarantee that individuals from certain neighborhoods would be hired before anyone else for any company that got tax abatements. I believe that they realized this wasn't exactly workable.

There also wanted a time frame during which the company couldn't hire from elsewhere - only if, after the timeframe passed, they still had vacancies, could they hire from elsewhere. There were other criteria that TUSA had requested, but that's the gist of it.

They told me that Ford had promised to support an ordinance requiring a first-source contract for any Toledo company getting tax abatements.

Maggie said...

Another thought...

At The Source, we're offering this as a free service - not as a requirement or a quid-pro-quo for tax abatements.

If I were a business person bringing jobs to the area, I think I'd be more receptive to a "here's a free service we offer to help you hire your employees...we can post your positions, take applicants, prescreen, etc..." rather than a "oh and here's another government requirement you have to meet - you have to hire from OUR pool of available workers before you hire from anywhere else..." approach.

Unknown said...

Thanks Maggie, if a company were eligible for tax credits, from either the state or the federal government would The Source help them with that process or the information or is that done differently?

Unknown said...

this is the type of tax credit I was referencing.

Rather than abatements, as a way of clarifying.

:-)

Maggie said...

Lisa - I think that those types of credits are usually part of an overall package. Usually the state dept. of development handles the state/fed incentives.

The revised RGP can coordinate all the various types of incentives - fed/state/local - for the company. The RGP's goal is to provide all those types of contacts seemlessly. The Workforce Investment Board (WIB) can also let employers know about such types of incentives and it's usually the company's choice if they want to make use of them. Interestingly, Bill Brennan is chairman of the RGP board and the WIB, so I'm sure those incentives are being coordinated...

Hope this answers your question.

Unknown said...

It does, thank you Maggie. I appreciate the information very much especially knowing what the demands were when you spoke with the group.

It's unfortunate that this was promised to them under Mayor Ford. Another reason why things shouldn't be promised unless that official can make it happen during their term of office.

It also seems as some of what they would like to see is available already.