Friday, May 05, 2006

He might not be a very good candidate....

Larry "Matthew" Bartow was supposed to meet with the Lucas County Republican Party infront of the Screening Committee to fill the volunteer position of Chair for the Lucas County Republican Party.

Yesterday, he was arrested and charged with theft. According to the above linked Toledo Blade:

...after being accused of taking $2,330 from the campaign committee of Toledo Municipal Judge Robert Christiansen.

Police said Mr. Bartow was paid to create and mail 5,000 pieces of campaign literature for Judge Christiansen, who was running for and won a seat as a Municipal Court judge. The material was to be mailed the same time as absentee ballots so both arrived together in mailboxes.

"He simply took the money and ran," said Mark Berling, who authorized the expenditure.


I sincerely hope they find the right person to become a permanent chair for the Party but I really don't think Mr. Bartow would be a good candidate under the circumstances.

11 comments:

Lloyd said...

I used Bartow to update some mailing lists for me and was not happy with the results.

I don't know if it was him or the software he used, but it stuck!

Unknown said...

I'm thinking I missed my calling, I have experience in both mailing lists and newsletters as well as several publishing programs that create a nice clean copy.

Plus I type fast.

:-)

Anonymous said...

I used Bartow also for a mailing. It was all messed up and he did a terrible job. I am not surprised that he got caught.

Unknown said...

Granted the bulk of my experience comes from being a secretary or to use the term "administrative assistant" but mailing lists are not that hard to do, neither are bulk mailings.

It looks like from the Blade article there are several people not satisfied with his prior services. Is there really that big of a shortage as far as people who can provide that type of service?

If so maybe I have found a business possibility.

:-)

Maggie said...

I really don't think he's going to be screened for the chairman...however, rumor has it that there was another individual with a very long record of convictions in Municipal Court who asked to screen.

Guess it depends on how the screening committee wants to handle things - do they want to let everyone who's interested come in - or do they want to put some criteria on the "applicants"?

me - I'd choose some criteria so you're not wasting the time of the committee and the individuals looking to fill the position...but that's just me.

Unknown said...

I realize it's a volunteer position, but it is one that from my understanding needs a person that can communicate well and raise funds. I guess to me it would depend on the type of criminal record. Traffic tickets or someone forgetting to license their dog or bouncing a check are of course not things you'd want to proud about but depending on the rest of the qualifications could be worth looking at. However if it is really a long list than that shows a repeated problem. People do make mistakes and lapses in judgement.

In this situation what is most bothersome is this person is accused of taking money from the party that he was working for. That to me if I was a Republican would be hard to get past especially since others have stated problems. Most importantly it would appear the person needs to be one that the majority can trust and count on.

I agree though Maggie that it does make sense to have some minimum qualfications as a standard to pre-screen.

Subcomandante Bob said...

Given the high-profile criminal politicos in the area of late, perhaps Bartow should promote his high crimes and misdemeanors as an asset, rather than a liability.

Subcomandante Bob thinks Bartow fits in quite well with the sordid criminal dramas that Toledoans call "politics."

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Another Toledo politics DUH moment.

Maggie, does anybody do a prescreening of applicants?

If not, maybe they will..., from now on. . .

Maggie said...

hooda - we used to, but I'm not sure who's doing what for this screening.

Lisa - I agree that people can change, but the criminal record of the candidate I referred to is not just minor traffic-type issues...

Anonymous said...

That's all right Lloyd, it's not like you paid for the mailing lists.

You were given those services for free, as were many other Repbublicans.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Lloyd said...

I did pay you, and have a check stub to prove it, jackass!