Former Toledo Mayor Jack Ford shares his viewpoint on those who blamed the Zoo levy loss on low turnout of Black voters and also his thoughts on the Governor's race. I recommend the whole article, yet here are a few parts:
The early take on Ken Blackwell’s chances in the governor’s race against Ted Strickland seems to hinge on five points. One, that Mr. Blackwell is too conservative, particularly in fiscal matters. Two, “Noe Gate” and other scandals will hurt the Republicans in 2006 as “The Crofters Scandal” did back in 1970. Three, white Appalachian residents will never vote for a black man. Four, Blackwell will not get the black vote because he is a Republican and too conservative. And finally, Ted Strickland has a huge money lead.
Well Ken Blackwell is an arch conservative, but Ohio is a fairly conservative state. This is not Massachusetts or California. This is Ohio – home of Frank Laushe, Woody Hayes, and Bob Evans. And Ken Blackwell has wisely begun to distance himself from the TEL amendment which is seen as too restrictive on our state spending and would have been an easy mark for campaign attacks of fiscal extremism against Blackwell. Even Republicans consume some of the state’s financial goodies.
In an earlier blog post I stated I did not think that Black voters would vote race first. The Former Mayor feels differently and issues a warning:
Warning to Ohio Democrats: blacks are the most conservative folks in the world. Poll after poll shows 62 percent or better are against abortions and are for the bans on gay marriage. Blacks tend to vote race first, then party. Blackwell will get his share of black votes. Will Strickland? And will Strickland unveil a truly transformative urban policy?
It appears that Jack Ford will be a regular contributor to Sojourner's Truth and while I always tried to pickup a copy, now that they are online it will be much easier to access.
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
4 comments:
I was surprised too Kate, but it appears I was wrong because if he feels that way I'm sure it's not just him.
So, I thought I should post his comments. I'd never consider voting for a woman just because I wanted to see more women in office. I'd have to feel that "person" was the best qualified candidate rather than base it on sex or race.
Oh how I long for those 4 golden years once more.
kate,
"I have to apologize for my adament statement that racism wasn't tolerated anymore.
I now feel that it clearly is, at least with Mr. Ford."
Actually, racism isn't tolerated in the white community by blacks.
It appears to be alive and well (against whites) in the black community.
As much as I dislike Mr. Ford, I have to agree with him on this one.
Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»
Post a Comment