Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Jon and Joe to write book on Coingate?

Seems I missed alot of stuff going on today while I was watching my youngest graduate from 5th grade. (Yes for some reason they have a 5th grade graduation ceremony.)

So...if you missed it too?

Here is a good place to start at the Toledo Free Press and there are several other updates/articles as well that can be found thru the direct link:

Deconstructing Coingate

I've heard some of this information in reference to Jon Stainbrook, but it appears it is now out in the open.

I'll update when I learn more...Breaking news states the restraining order sought by Jon and Joe was denied.

5 comments:

historymike said...

Yep, lots and lots of drama.

Glad the info is going public so people can decide for themselves what it all means.

Brian Maxson said...

It seems an accomplished graduate of law school threw out the lawsuit.

Anonymous said...

The TFP had no right to publish that material, but as usual to the approach that they can do whatever they want. If I were writing a book or screenplay or news article on a sensitive issue, such as Coingate or Carty's ethics or the Blade labor negotiations or Columbia Gas or any other issue the TFP has splashed across its front page, I would want to avoid contact with all other writers so that the story wouldn't leak out and wind up under the name of another author first. Putting this information out there in the public just makes it available for anyone to snatch up. It just depends on who is quicker at the draw. There are lots of authors out there who - I'm sure - would love to be the first to write a book about the whole situation, and writers are a cut throat bunch. I'm sure we'll see a rush to beat Mr. Stainbrook to the punch now.

In other words, the judge was completely wrong: the authors did have an interest in protecting that information from public release.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Mike,
It means more hype for their book...

Pimping to the masses...

Anonymous said...

Maybe, somewhere along the way, certain people in the business of publishing information on newsprint forgot that human beings like a little bit of privacy, that not every piece of information that gets out into the public by happenstance is meant for the public, that occasionally news isn't news, that readers don't really give a s--t if a newspaper gets the story out before somebody else. I'm going so far as to say, the TFP is acting a lot like the Bush administration. Apparently, all information is fair game and no one has any right to privacy of information when it comes to either George W. Bush's administration or Michael Miller's administration.

As a reader, I'm certainly disappointed with the TFP. It didn't turn out to be the alternative to the Blade that I had hoped it would be. Instead it's like the New York Post of Toledo without the great sports section: flashy covers, little substance. And what's worse, it is written for and with it's big business partners in mind. Wake up TFP, the vast majority of Toledo does not fit your demographic. That said, readers like me would rather see you take the high road and not publish the book deal in such an early stage than step all over people in the race to be first.

A piece of advice: first isn't always right.