Thursday, June 01, 2006

Update on Sylvania Vision 2010

I promised I'd update with information, and for those of you who went back to the original post have probably seen Alex was kind enough to post a link to the pdf of notes from May 25th. Mark Bula also emailed me, so thank you to both of you.

I recommend downloading this pdf even if you are not a Sylvania, Ohio resident. Mark and Alex are both correct in stating that this type of vision quest for the future could be done other places locally. This was the meeting objective:

Provide a public forum for those interested in having early input on creating a vision for Sylvania’s future. Utilize visual metaphors and hands-on activities to collaboratively identify the strengths, opportunities, weaknesses and threats to our community.

As the saying goes, “be careful if you don’t know where you’re going ‘cause you might not get there.”

I wondered how this would be accomplished. As an example, taking a few results from the "Today We Look Like" segment where people were given a series of questions and the metaphor was the City of Sylvania as a Bus Trip:

Primary bus driver is Mayor with a King’s crown and assisted by City Council

People on the bus:
o Closest to front is “Shakers & Movers”
o School Board
o Flower Hospital
o Lourdes College
o Residents in the every back of the bus – not being informed by drivers to where and
what is going on. They are left to admiring the scenery and that’s it.

There were other visual metaphors as well as many more results listed, yet the meeting did not just revolve around visualizations. Those who attended were asked to list strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats for the City of Sylvania.

My immediate reaction was it appears there are many "Strengths" and that is something that Sylvania should be proud of, though I really must dispute the categorization of "Spiky haired councilman" being listed as a "Weakness", I would have thought he would have been a "Threat" (lol). The parts of the meeting related to the future of Sylvania also contained some great ideas. It's pretty obvious to me that Sylvania is heading in a very positive direction, and it's one I hope the rest of our area follows.

Great job Mark Bula and thank you for sharing this information with us and a great job is also extended to those who attended.

:-)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa thanks for continuing to lead the awakening our NWOH community. I speak from experience that the only way to change and move a business organization is to engage all employees in the why, what and how that is usually “reserved” only for executive board room discussions – while the marching orders or worse yet, nothing gets communicated to the employees. I believe the same philosophy is true in government and communities. Individuals care if they see their role and what’s in it for them. A true statesman will engage her or his constituents in relevant information to get them on the bus in the front seat and helping drive.

Kate – thanks for the confidence that we are doing the right things in Sylvania, I wish to raise the bar for all NWOH to step up their game as we all will benefit. So as much as we would like to have you live in our community, I hope you can get satisfaction in Toledo too.

-Mark Bula

Unknown said...

Thank you Mark, and I agree with you on your philosophy. We also share wanting this whole region to be the best it can be, but then you know that.

Meeting people like you and seeing what you are trying to accomplish is an inspiration. I keep thinking..."imagine the possibilities".

:-)

Traci said...

Just read thru the .pdf and saw many things that would be great improvements for the city of Sylvania.

On the top of my list is to make it a smoke-free city. As a resident of Sylvania, I would LOVE to see it become a non-smoking city.

And please, don't give me the same old song and dance that smoking is one's Constitutional right. Look it up people - nowhere in the Constitution does it say smoking is a protected right. Besides, if the entire state of California can do it and if NYC can do it, then why can't Sylvania?

Another "weakness" listed was "landlocked to the north." Now, I'm not a geography expert, but aren't we "landlocked" to the north because there's, um, another state there?!? Yeah, that might be a problem that can't be fixed. I think we lost that battle many, many years ago. (sarcasm intended). But heck, we could start annexing things to the west, right? :)

Unknown said...

Or the South.

:-)

Traci said...

Not garbage...just my own personal opinion (to which I'm entitled) that all resaturants should be non-smoking. I just think it would be nice to go to Ciao! in Sylvania and NOT smell the smoke from the bar (which is their "smoking" section). That's all.

Unknown said...

I have made a mental note that discussion of a smoking ban here would be almost like writing about Ben Konop.

:-)

I am not generally supportive of bans in general, yet having been both a smoker and a non-smoker I do agree that places that do not have a good ventilation system can be an issue. When I visited California smoking was banned inside but there were outside patios for smokers. The weather in that particular part of the State enabled that to be almost year round, which here from a climate point of view is not comparable.

Anonymous said...

interesting stuff. i give him a lot of credit. now the big thing is to get it done. this area is great at coming up with plans and visions, remember toledo 2020 which was almost exactly this type of thing? the problem is that nothing happened. our area needs more action and less talk. this is a good start. sylvania will be judge as to whether this stuff is done in four years not that they thought about it.

i did like the part about mayor stough who is a republican playing golf by 2010. we need a good democrat like mark bula as mayor of sylvania. is this a local race to watch?

Unknown said...

Mark's not a Democrat, he considers himself an Independent. I'm not sure what his future political goals are except he is right now a Sylvania City Council person.

I agree it takes more than just coming up with ideas, it appears Mark has some support so if anyone can make some of this happen? I think it could be him.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Toledo has had a vision that it implemented:

Toledo Vision 1950

It had something to do with a pedestrian mall on parts of Adams St. consisting of raised asphalt curbs enclosing 3-4" of pseudo park and planters everywhere.

It was fun while it lasted...