What film from the past decade or so best reflects American life, for better or worse?
I had to think about that and to be honest, I still don't have a movie that I could pick. Though I couldn't help thinking My Big Fat Greek Wedding...It's probably a good thing Chris didn't ask me isn't it? lol However several area residents did come up with an answer, you can read all of them at the title linked article. One person I know was asked:
Dave Schulz, Republican Toledo City Council candidate: “I would say mine is Apollo 13. To me, it showed America and Americans come back from adversity. It depicted our ingenuity and perseverance.”
So...What movie would you pick?
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
7 comments:
Traffic. I know when I was a little girl I enjoyed free-basing and prostitution. My dad was also the drug czar.
Is that why you escaped to Sefton anonymous?
:-)
Born on the 4th of July
One of the sad realities of American history is the fact that 'time' periods are generally named by wars.
We began our nation in a war and we are currently again in another.
Too often war movies do not detail the hell that war bings both physically and psychologically to the veteran. This film chronicles both quite vividly.
As our nation seems smitten with war, I'd have to cast my vote for this one.
I'd forgotten about that movie, thanks LD.
:-)
I'd pick "Crash."
The one with all the Oscar Nominations.
I'd nominate it because it covers just about every theme of the human condition, wasn't predictable, and was just an awesome, morally ambiguous movie that really made you reflect on life and how we're all a part of each other without really understanding how...
American Beauty captures the disillusionment faced by people who descend into the vapid world of the materialism that is American suburbia.
I'm not big on praying at the altar of Hollywood, so I draw a blank on this one.
I have seen exactly one movie each year for the last several years, and most I would have to call "escapist" in nature.
Good thing I wasn't asked either ;-)
Post a Comment