I love this area so much yet people seem to expect a fantasy world where Carty Finkbeiner would not be Carty Finkbeiner. Even a kinder, gentler Carty is still...Carty.
So now the talk of how he hasn't gotten the results people wanted starts. I heard the topic of a recall mentioned on WSPD's Eye on Toledo during the whole anti-bike path marathon that is going on over there. The Toledo Blade article linked in the title, goes into the examination of Carty's first few months in office. Despite the things that should have been expected like trying to stack Toledo City Council with B Teamers and the occasional "Cartyesque" moments:
A summary of economic development activity provided by Mr. Finkbeiner's staff for the first quarter shows 509 jobs created since he returned to office - of which 144 will be at Westgate Village. The city's statistics also show 1,287 jobs retained - including 893 at GM Powertrain - and $540 million in capital investment at Powertrain as part of a total $555.2 million citywide.
Let's flash back to December 30, 2002...The Mayor is Jack Ford...The Toledo Blade has an article written by Tom Troy on the first year. It states:
On the surface, Toledo looks much as it did the day Carty Finkbeiner left office.
The former Toledo Edison steam plant is still a cold brick box. The mud pit left by the old Federal Building is still empty. The Toledo Public School District is still in academic emergency. Southwyck Shopping Center still needs a multimillion-dollar overhaul.
Mr. Ford believes that appearances are deceiving.
"I thought it was a pretty good year. There were a lot of things I tried to do to set the table."
While I know this is not just something that happens in Toledo, it seems we have this ability to demand and want change yet keep electing the same people that didn't make us happy the first time. During the Mayoral Primary there were other people to select from besides Jack Ford and Carty Finkbeiner. One of them, Keith Wilkowski, wanted change as well as a chance for Toledo to have a new voice. Toledo voters decided it was going to be between Jack and Carty.
Remember that phrase, becareful what you wish for? Well Toledo? You are getting results. Just like many of you were not happy with Jack? It's Carty time and love him or hate him, he is being Carty...
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
5 comments:
You're right again, Lisa.
But if Toledo truly wanted change, Opal was an option, right?
The only reason Keith lost is because Carty promised he had changed. Keith would have ran away with the election had Carty stayed in therapy.
But Carty won, and during his tenure, he's shown that habits cannot be broken.
"Kathy Steingraber, executive director of the Toledo Warehouse District Association, said the poor economy doesn't give the mayor the luxury of a long transition. And so far, she said, the city's economic development department isn't led by people who give developers confidence."
Hmmm...perhaps Carty should have put people with REAL economic experience in the positions in the econ development dept -- rather than merely rewarding some who worked on his campaign.
"-- rather than merely rewarding some who worked on his campaign."
Sort of like, "You're doin a heckofa job, Brownie?"
Lisa,
"It's Carty time and love him or hate him, he is being Carty..."
I'm curious, was the only one who foresaw and fortold of the return of the return of "The EVIL Carty?"
Something about old dogs and new tricks keeps running through my mind, but I just can't quite put my finger on how it ties in.
Mind you, I'm NOT gloating. There is nothing to gloat about. ANybody got a tranquilizer dart and launching device I could borrow?
;-)
lol - As I told you before Hooda, I'd understand it if you did gloat.
It would appear some of your statements/fears have become reality.
Post a Comment