Monday, June 12, 2006

Something nice about the Ohio Department of Education

I'm not a fan of proficiency testing, nor has that changed. However, today included with my youngest daughter's grade card was a professional looking color printed document that included specific information on her results from the 5th grade proficiency test she took for Reading and Math this past March. They tell you to visit the website in the title link but they don't have the sample questions for the 5th grade test up yet. Only the 3rd and 8th grade, it states on the website that will be added in July.

Yet, the information the way it was presented was helpful in seeing how Aubrey did on not only the main categories but subcategories of these tests. It has a separate area that states what your child's strengths and weaknesses are in both reading and math along with offering suggestions they list as "next steps" to further enhance your child's skill level even if they scored "above proficient". I knew Aubrey was having difficulty in fractions around the time this test was taken, as one example, so for me it was no surprise to see that was the only area in Math she scored below proficient, but I appreciated the way the material was presented and it makes it very easy to see over the summer which areas in Math and Reading we might want to focus on.

So thank you, Ohio Department of Education, for coming up with a format where I still won't be a fan of proficiency testing but does provide helpful information as far as looking at the overall and the individual aspects of my child's talents as far as how she did on this particular test.

There is also an online survey that might be of interest to some of you that is on the website top heading.

6 comments:

liberal_dem said...

"I knew Aubrey was having difficulty in fractions around the time this test was taken"

As do most people. Fractions are a vestige of the old English measurement system. The rest of the world cares little of the concept of fractions and understands and uses the decimal equivalents of the metric system.

Anonymous said...

LD:
Are not decimals just fractions but expressed only in tenths, hundredths, and multiples thereof?
Centimeter and millimeter, I believe, are fractions of a meter.

liberal_dem said...

Fractions should be relegated to the high school math curriculum for math majors.

Some common fractions, halves, fourths, eighths should be experimented with in primary school.

Scientific calculators can work fractions, but common ones use decimals. As the world turns most exclusively towards metrics, the fraction is obsolete.

Anonymous said...

The best scientific calculator is the human brain.
"A mind is a terrible thing to waste."
The study of mathematics including fractions helps the student to grasp concepts and to think conceptually, i.e. in terms of concepts other than those applicable only to math.

Unknown said...

I have to agree with Roland, while later learning how to use a scientific calculator is helpful and in certain professions a time saver, I think it is important that students also understand how to get the results without one.

Though I also do believe more time should be spent on making sure a good foundation of the basics is there. Everything revolves around that. While it may be trendy to teach algebra in the early elementary years if they haven't spent the time to develop a strong math foundation it isn't going to end up being very helpful later on.

Jill said...

Very cool. I was eager to get my mail but alas, no such reports yet. Thanks for this post, Lisa Renee.