The Tom Noe case was originally to start on August 29th. Lucas County Common Pleas Judge Thomas Osowik agreed yesterday to delay Noe's trial, previously scheduled for Aug. 29, until Oct. 10; according to this Toledo Blade article.
"The judge clearly sees an opportunity here to exploit a high-profile case for his own personal and political exposure," Mr. Bennett said in a news release.
Brian Rothenberg, a spokesman for the Ohio Democratic Party, criticized Mr. Bennett's statement and said the case should be concluded before the election in order to know as much as possible about the Noe case, which has touched public officials and candidates across the state.
"It's important for the people of Ohio to know the facts by Election Day," Mr. Rothenberg said.
Call me skeptical, but I doubt if the trial has been moved to begin on October 10th that we are going to have the facts before Election Day. It's been stated the trial will last about four weeks. If this proves true? The case will not end until after the November election.
I've met Judge Osowick, while I haven't spent hours talking with him or can claim some personal relationship with him, what I do know about him is he does not come across as the type of Judge who would let politics get in the way of a trial. Realistically if he were that sort? He would have picked a sooner date rather than allowing one that in all reality could guarantee that come Election Day? The trial could still be going on.
Putting myself in the GOP's position for a moment...having an October 10th trial date really is not that bad for them. In August there would have been more focus on the trial. In October there will be lots of political coverage directly related to the election. Since there is a strong possibility that the trial will not be over prior to the election, even candidates who focus on Tom Noe as one of their campaign aspects would not have the full benefit that they could have if the trial had ended sooner.
So I don't see this as a "victory" for either side.
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
7 comments:
I'ma Republican, and if Bob Bennett told me the sky is blue I wouldn't believe him.
Bennett should resign.
I was gonna write about this very same issue. When I heard about the delay, my immediate reaction was that it was political. But judges typically have too much respect for the law to let politics get in the way of their jobs. I hope that's the case with Osowick. Also, it should be noted that Osowick, like all judges, is randomly assigned cases (although it may seem he's had some high profile cases lately), so it's a far cry to claim any of this is political on his part. The prosecutors office, on the other hand, is an entirely different question. Judges, almost always, extend time.
The delay was REQUESTED BY NOE'S ATTORNEYS!
"At a hearing yesterday in Lucas County Common Pleas Court, Judge Thomas J. Osowik granted a request by Noe’s attorneys to delay the scheduled Aug. 29 start of the trial to give them more time to prepare."
Settle down there anon... there's no need to get hostile. I agree with Kate - they were ready months ago and now all of a sudden there asking for more "time"... total BS. What, are they planning on flipping a quarter to see which jury members they want and don't want. Father Robinson had his here and his case was of higher recognition than Noes'. Look if he's found guilty then have him serve the time if not found guilty trust me this man won't be finding any jobs that involve both money and trust any time soon.
Noe's attorney requested the continuance. If the Judge denied the motion, the same attorney would be squawking to the media about how Noe cannot get a fair trial.
Bob Bennett can't have it both ways. He claims that Noe had little influence and the elections should not be about Noe and the GOP corruption. Now he cries politics when the Judge grants a continuance.
The voters should throw all of this tired GOP leadership out of office. They have led Ohio into the ground.
Well, I'm going to agree with the two anonymous's and disagree with my husband and Kate. :-)
The continuance was requested by Noe's attornies because they claimed with the shear volume of documents they could not be ready. The prosecution may be ready but the defense was not. Having also followed the Father Robinson trial in great detail....that trial took some time before it was ready and there were several delays involved in that as well.
I also agree had the continuance been denied there would have been screams of this trial being used as a political tool so that it would be done before the election.
I just don't think given the October 10th trial date that this is going to be done before the election. Now, it is important to remember that sometimes trials end earlier than it's estimated, the Father Robinson trial took less time than originally expected. Hoewever if the Noe trial does last the four weeks that was estimated? The trial will end after election day.
Regardless of postponements, motions, delays someone will always find a reason to cry Politics!
Kate, I offer a fourth option:
4. Justice delayed is justice denied.
Whatever...
As I've said before someone will always stand up and cry Politics! no matter who, what or when.
As for my preference, I have none. I'll watch, read, and listen, just like the rest of us will.
Post a Comment